PDA

View Full Version : Tires offground

maccam1
07-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Just got to a campground,site is a little slopped,I have auto leveling. 2tires are off the ground.is this going to cause me any problem,or am I going to need to find some boards to rest the tires on.
Appreciate any answers

Javi
07-31-2018, 01:53 PM
Nope... you're good

maccam1
07-31-2018, 01:57 PM
Thought I would be ok,but just wanted some advice
Thanks
Javi

Pull Toy
07-31-2018, 02:31 PM
If it is the STARBOARD side.... the first step might be a big one!...

No problem, I use this feature to change tires. Lippert says no, but that is for liability denial. I've actually had all four in the air . Their old advertising used to brag about it, 'till the lawyers stepped in! LOL

Good Luck,

Kylemcmahon1
07-31-2018, 02:45 PM
My 2018 outback it says no. My dealer has repaired one tt in the last year where the jack broke free from the frame and went through the floor. To me. Why take a chance. I use the anderson levelers from my last camper the hit auto level. Never have to worry about anything

jsmith948
08-01-2018, 05:53 AM
My 2018 outback it says no. My dealer has repaired one tt in the last year where the jack broke free from the frame and went through the floor. To me. Why take a chance. I use the anderson levelers from my last camper the hit auto level. Never have to worry about anythingThe whole point of having the auto level system is to not have to use blocks under the wheels. I recently read a post on here about leveling the camper side to side with blocks, then using the auto level. I can see placing blocks or pads under the leveling jacks if they are running out of stroke. Other than that, no need for piling a bunch of lumber under the wheels.

chuckster57
08-01-2018, 06:20 AM
Ground control (electric) jacks seem to have less travel than the level up (hydraulic) ones. Putting blocks under the tires increases the length needed for the rear jacks to contact the ground and you may see “failure” more often. No need for blocks or anything under the tires, and jack failure is extremely rare.

Canonman
08-01-2018, 06:27 AM
If I'm more than 1/2 a bubble off side to side I use my "Tri-Leveler" to get things closer.
My opinion (I know, everyone's got one) is it's better to have the wheels supporting their fair share of the weight. That said, there have been circumstances where I've had one side wheels off the ground with no adverse effects.

Bkvtx
08-02-2018, 05:06 AM
love my Ground Control system, but for some reason I always have to recalibrate it which forces me to manually level it out (as manual as pushing buttons can be). Anyone else have issues with this?

ChuckS
08-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Personally I don’t
Like the idea of the Lippert gear supporting all that weight with tires off the ground.

You won’t be nearly as stable as if you had tires on ground. Also it’s putting a hell of a side load and stress on the system.

I have six point level up hydraulic system. I boondock a lot on forest lands. I’ve never lifted a tire off the ground and don’t intend to.

Kylemcmahon1
08-02-2018, 09:34 AM
The whole point of having the auto level system is to not have to use blocks under the wheels. I recently read a post on here about leveling the camper side to side with blocks, then using the auto level. I can see placing blocks or pads under the leveling jacks if they are running out of stroke. Other than that, no need for piling a bunch of lumber under the wheels.

I am just giving you real world example. I have seen the damage in person if the jack breaks loose from the frame. And since they all say do not lift the tires off the ground. It becomes your problem if it breaks loose when the tires are off the ground. Like I said if it is far off I use Anderson levelers quick easy get it close by eye then use auto level.

travelin texans
08-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Mine sat on nothing but the levelers, no wheels/tires on it, while we were in it, for 4 days waiting on brake parts, it was as steady as with the wheels on it. The hydraulic levelers are rated at far more weight than they'll ever have to support.

fmitzen
08-09-2018, 08:07 AM
I use leveling blocks under the tires to get it about level then use the auto level with blocks under the jacks to shorten the stroke,it helps stabilization

AbHDToyHauler
08-09-2018, 08:39 AM
I use leveling blocks under the tires to get it about level then use the auto level with blocks under the jacks to shorten the stroke,it helps stabilization

Seems like washing the dishes before putting them in the Dishwasher? LOL:party:

fmitzen
08-09-2018, 09:04 AM
You do it your way, . I'll do it mine.

CaptnJohn
08-09-2018, 10:00 AM
I have never had wheels off the ground except when new. I took it to the tire dealer and had 4 Sailuns installed (plus the spare). Instead of jacking each side Ground Control 3.0 was used, well the rear jacks anyway.

larryflew
08-09-2018, 10:13 AM
6 jack hydraulic level up. Have had one side off the ground many times camping and all 4 off the ground while Lippert service rep waited for a replacement part for 5 days. Have used the jacks for 5 tire changes at different time all on a 16,000 pound 5th wheel. Probably leveled several hundred times. No problems related to the jacks but did have one board die a month after they where installed which was sent to me next day air.

travelin texans
08-09-2018, 10:31 AM
If you get both wheels off the ground it is possible for the shackles in the middle to invert & once weight gets back on them will POP back into place & scare the crap out you when it does.

cenders
08-10-2018, 07:07 AM
6 jack hydraulic level up. Have had one side off the ground many times camping and all 4 off the ground while Lippert service rep waited for a replacement part for 5 days. Have used the jacks for 5 tire changes at different time all on a 16,000 pound 5th wheel. Probably leveled several hundred times. No problems related to the jacks but did have one board die a month after they where installed which was sent to me next day air.

Is there an override mode? I have to be significantly out of level before the system in manual mode will allow me to get off one side of tires. There is no way that I would get all 4 off. On flat ground I have to drive one side on wood before I can get the other side off the ground for a tire change.

JFCANMT
08-11-2018, 01:40 PM
The tech who did the walk around with me said to avoid getting both wheels off the ground because the center shackles can get inverted and you will have a heck of a time getting them back in the correct orientation. My brother had the happen to him on his triple axle Raptor and confirmed you want to avoid lifting all wheels on one side off the ground. I imagine it doesn’t always happen, but for me it’s not worth the hassle of dealing with.

mskeyspirate
08-29-2018, 08:10 AM
My understanding is that a leveling system is just that. A leveling system, not a complete support for the weight of the trailer. Have read too many stories about too much weight on the jacks. Have even seen one go through the bottom of a camper to the floor. Why take that chance ? Is there a reason that you want your wheels off the ground ?

JRTJH
08-29-2018, 08:46 AM
My understanding is that a leveling system is just that. A leveling system, not a complete support for the weight of the trailer. Have read too many stories about too much weight on the jacks. Have even seen one go through the bottom of a camper to the floor. Why take that chance ? Is there a reason that you want your wheels off the ground ?

Much of what you suggest depends more on the type of "system" (stabilizer vs leveling) that you're talking about than on the weight on the jacks. Some "stabilizer jacks" are barely capable of supporting a portion of the trailer's weight while some "leveling jacks" are strong enough to support 10 times the total trailer weight and are attached to the trailer frame in such a way that they are as strong/stronger than the axle suspension system. So, depending on the system, how it's installed and what it's designed to support, limitations should be clearly identified to the owner/operator.

Not all tow vehicles are "equal" and certainly not all leveling systems are "equal".... Many wouldn't even "break a sweat" lifting 3 or 4 times the total trailer weight. When you consider there's 4 or 6 under the trailer, damage is extremely unlikely if the system is used per instructions from the manufacturer.