PDA

View Full Version : Securing happijac bed

roadglide
07-25-2018, 03:13 PM
As simple as this .

Brentw
07-25-2018, 07:44 PM
Sorry, securing it from what? Don't get it.

roadglide
07-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Sorry, securing it from what? Don't get it. catastrophe like the bed falling on the Harley . I looked for thread where the happyjack came down on a harley couldn't find with search. I don't need to be concerned I secured with 4 roadmaster clips drilling below each rail

chuckster57
07-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Sorry, securing it from what? Don't get it.

Typically the happi jack bed system has 4 pins for securing the UPPER beds in the raised position. The LOWER bed/seats don’t have a “travel lock”, and I suspect roadglide added pins to the LOWER bed/seats.

I don’t know why the bed system doesn’t come that way from the factory.

whcarr
07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Anyone had the lower bed fail, and then fall? Be interesting to know what happened.

spicercars
07-29-2018, 04:06 PM
If you put the lock pins in when the beds are all the way up there is no way they can fall.

roadglide
07-29-2018, 04:16 PM
I agree by installing 1 pin to each corner on the lower bed there is no way it can fall . I only have the 4 pins for the top . I added 4 more pins to the the lower bed to the electric motor chain drive my unit didn't come with lower bed pin locks .I though the picture would explain it's self what we have here is safety factor against mechanical failure.

Brentw
08-01-2018, 07:27 PM
If it causes you concern, I'm all for adding extra pins. For example, I use 5 straps on my bike, my brother uses 2, we are both comfortable with our level of security.
Now I am wondering if anyone has had their bed creep down, looked at mine, not sure what would have to break for it to come down.

rick-eureka
08-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Good morning,

My Harley. The bed did not fall, the motor actually activated in the 'down' mode and bent the bench seat on the happijack system about 45 degrees. It came down with such force as it busted the attachment from the seat support to the chain and bent the guide rail. They recommended replacing switch and board behind it. Did that. Don't trust it. Putting four pins to secure it while traveling.

naswat
08-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the post. I think i will be doing the same....

Kzneft
08-19-2018, 02:10 PM
You are correct. Happijac says on the bed stickers to NOT leave them up the upright position when traveling or they can fall down, but they are very heavy to lift up and put the pins back by yourself each time. I built this brace out of 1/4" aluminum plate. Put one on the front and one on the back. Very stable and never have to put the lower the beds when traveling. Occasionally I will take off the brace by removing the threaded knobs to make the beds into couches, then when you are done just fold them down like beds mount the plates on again and raise to the ceiling. My RZR fits just fine underneath it. See attached pic.