PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate wouldn't open!

captcolour
07-24-2018, 04:43 PM
Was hooking up this morning in Mackinaw City and the tailgate wouldn't open. Fortunately the pin box was already in the bed. I wanted to open it back up so I could pull forward since the nylon lube ring fell off the pin.

Stopped by a Ford dealer in Petoskey on my way to Traverse City. Of course they couldn't fit me in. Fortunately there was a Tractor Supply across the street with a parking lot big enough to turn around. Went there to buy a set of torx bits so I could open up the tailgate panel when I arrived in TC.

Pulled into my site, set the 5er up since it was level with it hooked up. Then went to work on the tailgate. Had enough room to remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate. Could pull the linkage and viola, tailgate open. Found that the little plastic pushpin that attaches the handle to the linkage mechanism had popped off. Pushed it back on and tailgate worky again. Whew!

DocP
07-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear that it all worked out in the end. With over 40 years of camping under my belt, I still dread those little unexpected things that inevitably pop up. Keeping a cool head and having a truck bed of assorted tools usually gets me back on the road again.

sourdough
07-24-2018, 06:02 PM
Glad to hear that it all worked out in the end. With over 40 years of camping under my belt, I still dread those little unexpected things that inevitably pop up. Keeping a cool head and having a truck bed of assorted tools usually gets me back on the road again.

Things have sure changed from the old days haven't they. Used to figure some duck tape (or electrical), Kbar and baling wire would take care of most anything. In the event those didn't work, my 4 lb. hammer with my custom 24" handle could usually beat it into submission...… Now, you have to carry 300 lbs. of tools and test gear....ahhh, the good old days:facepalm:

madmaxmutt
07-24-2018, 07:02 PM
Things have sure changed from the old days haven't they. Used to figure some duck tape (or electrical), Kbar and baling wire would take care of most anything. In the event those didn't work, my 4 lb. hammer with my custom 24" handle could usually beat it into submission...… Now, you have to carry 300 lbs. of tools and test gear....ahhh, the good old days:facepalm:

Now, you would almost be better off with a 3D printer for most parts.

Mikendebbie
07-25-2018, 02:55 AM
Maybe 10 yrs ago with my previous 03 Chevy 2500 - the tailgate popped open as I was turning into a grocery store parking lot. The corner of the tailgate punched a hole in the front compartment door of the fiver and bent the door frame. This is how I learned to keep the tailgate linkage lubed so that it will open, close and lock as it should. I think I use silicone spray (my memory is failing me right now)

Finding a replacement baggage door from Kinro is a long story for another thread. Lube your tailgates!!