PDA

View Full Version : Which Air Bags? RAM 3500

Laredo Tugger
07-24-2018, 03:01 PM
I;m going to look at a used 2018 SRW Ram 3500 tomorrow at a dealership in the next state over.
A friend of mine (who owns a towing company) was in the area and looked over the truck and took it for a test drive. Everything looked good to him (one buffable mark on the pass fender and a skuff mark near floor panel same side) and he test drove the truck on roads and the highway. He did say that it rode rough being a 1 ton truck on the 3/4 ton (SRW) frame.
My question is, what are the best air bags for load/towing and ride comfort?
Being used I will be getting a great deal on the truck so I am not afraid to throw some money at comfort, if needed.
Thanks
RMc

Laredo Tugger
07-24-2018, 03:18 PM
Forgot to add, I'm towing a 13K 5th wheel.
RMc

Laredo Tugger
07-25-2018, 03:47 AM
OK, a little reasearch and I am even more confused. Sulastic shocks?,Roadmaster System?,Carli-add a packs?
I guess it's wide open on the options here.
And I will only talk to myself so long here.
RMc

Javi
07-25-2018, 03:55 AM
If they'll fit, the Firestone bags are what I've used on my trucks over the years...

rhagfo
07-25-2018, 04:30 AM
Should not need bags for a 13,000# 5er and a 3500 SRW Ram! Hold on to your money until you hook it up and tow with it the first time.

Racebug
07-25-2018, 05:12 AM
Should not need bags for a 13,000# 5er and a 3500 SRW Ram! Hold on to your money until you hook it up and tow with it the first time.

agree!! plus adding bags wont improve your empty ride.

Frank G
07-25-2018, 10:03 AM

I'll third the motion, no bags required. I really do not need them on my 2500 with a 13k 5er, but they help.

kfxgreenie
07-25-2018, 11:27 AM
If you want the most well thought out bags for Ram products Timber Grove is a GOOD option. I have a set on my 2500 and they are a very good product that is top notch in quality.

https://timbergroveenterprises.com/ram-2500-3500

Laredo Tugger
07-25-2018, 01:11 PM
OK,
Thanks for the responses and info.
I just drove about an hour and a half one way to look, test drive and purchase the RAM. The truck does ride better than I expected (stock) and it is good advice to hitch up and tow before any modifications are needed.
The truck is the Tradesman package and is not the same truck (luxury) that I am driving now, but it is clean,low miles and set up nice with the 5th wheel tow eqip.,Aisin trans and an exhaust brake. I'm very happy and eager to put this in front of my Laredo 350FB and see how she rolls. The truck does have
LT 275/70R18 125/122S tires on it. These OK for a while or should I be looking at some tougher rubber on the ground?
I have an appointment next week to remove my fifth wheel hitch from my Ford and then will drive it over and exchange for the RAM.
Also will need some side steps for DW and I am going to install a hard roll away top on the bed.
Will be nice to have a TV like you guy's. :D
Thanks again,
RMc

Frank G
07-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Most get about 45 to 50K out of the Firestones, from my experience and other forum contributors they have been a reliable tire. For some reason the rears wear faster than the fronts, I think it is a combination of the exhaust brake and tread distortion under load.

Now for the steps, nothing beets the AMP retractable steps, I hope they worked out the electronics for the "18"s. Early on FCA tightened up access to the Can-Bus, the ability for aftermarket products to interact with the vehicles electronics. The steps must open when a door is opened and retract when closed.

I chose a less expensive option from N-fab, Podium steps.

With the Aisin and HO Cummins you will be amazed.

Brentw
07-25-2018, 07:18 PM
I think you will find a bit of squat when you load it. But as was said, wait till you try it. Measure how much squat you get, I was getting a fair bit of lights flashing me. Installed a set of firestone bags with a compressor and an inside controller, levels me out nicely while towing. Dump the bags when not towing, or it will be plenty stiff.

Laredo Tugger
07-26-2018, 03:20 AM
It will be a few weeks before the verdict is in. I have an appointment next week to have my 5er hitch removed from my present truck and then will get that hitch installed in the new truck. But a tape measure sounds like the proper tool to have. I will also measure the front and rear of the trailer for hitch adjustment.
Good tips on the side steps too. I like those in the photos. The retractable product? Not sure,even if the electronics will support.
Thanks again,
RMc

gearhead
07-26-2018, 03:48 AM
The 2016 3500 SRW I had rode fairly rough until I put a load on it. Our Montana HC is 12,500 GVWR so pretty close to yours. I don't think you will need to do anything to the rear suspension. Try it first. I think I got 2.500" of squat with the 5th on it. Basically levelled it. I did air the rear tires down to maybe 55# to help the unloaded ride. I replaced the Firestones at about 30,000 miles. I think my cabover helped scrub the tread down fast. Rotate the tires at oil changes.
I think my dually actually rides better unloaded than the SRW.

NorskeBob
07-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 air bags. Had them on our 2005 3500HD and them to our 2011 3500HD. Improves the ride and minimizes the sag on the rear. Do not have an on-board compressor. Put the fill connections on the rear bumper area. Put 40# of air in the bags before I hitch up.

Old Mustanger
07-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 air bags. Had them on our 2005 3500HD and them to our 2011 3500HD. Improves the ride and minimizes the sag on the rear. Do not have an on-board compressor. Put the fill connections on the rear bumper area. Put 40# of air in the bags before I hitch up.

I have the same air bags also without the on board compressor (purchased one but have not installed). I located the fill valves in existing holes in front of the rear tires. Also do 40# before hitching, makes for a nice level combination.

Ddubya
07-29-2018, 12:45 PM
I have a Ram SRW and it sags a little with my 5er. I just put the Sumo Rebels on it but have not towed yet. I can tell the difference in ride even with no load. They take some of the harshness out of rough roads.

wher2nxt
08-02-2018, 08:34 AM
I have a 2018 Ram 3500 SRW...tow a Montana HC 330rl at 13300lbs....3000 of that is on the pin. Only settles the truck about 2.5 inches! Rides good with the weight. Scrambles our guts without. Also installed a Fold A Cover tonneau...works great! Opens and locks both ends, folds to the front for fifth wheel use.
I know the weights because I actually went to our local CAT scale.

ChuckS
08-02-2018, 08:43 AM
I’ve been using Airlift bags since 2007 on our duramax. Onboard compressor with gauge ... I like being able to adjust pressure on the fly depending on road conditions and changes in weight.

Foodgod1
08-02-2018, 09:34 AM
On the side issue of comfort in your new Tradesman, I have a 2014 3500 DRW Tradesman and wanted to add leather seats. Found a great site called Leatherseats.com and did some research. Discovered they were based right here in Oklahoma City and I went right down to their store and custom ordered new leather seat covers for my truck. 1800.00 bucks installed. Love the comfort and ride. Had the Rams Head Logo embroidered into the upper seat back. Anyway, since you mentioned the step down in luxury I thought I'd mention it.

cwenn
08-02-2018, 12:28 PM
We are towing a 2018 Montana HC 344RL that is close to your tow weight with a 2014 Ram 3500. It rides nice with the weight. It can be a little ruff empty. I adjusted the air pressure in the tires to 60 front and 80 rear and it helped a lot. My dealer told me to expect this truck to wear the rear tires. Make sure to do your rotations and run the proper air pressures I would tow with it before adding the air bags.

Truckbuddy
08-02-2018, 01:29 PM
I have the 5000 system with compressor and remote on my 2015 Ford F350, and had it on my 2008 Sierra 2500 before it. I can't say enough good about it. Awesome system if installed well.

I pull a 40' Fuzion 371. With the air bags at 30 pounds the truck barely sits on the springs, without bags it just about crushed them. Added bonus is a small gain in MPG at 20 pounds and no load, about 1-2. I also use a Reese Goose Box with an additional bag.

Adding airbags without the compressor is ok, but automatic filling/release to keep your load right is superior. Worth the trouble. Get the bags with the built in bumper.

Wireman134
08-02-2018, 04:40 PM
I'll third the motion, no bags required. I really do not need them on my 2500 with a 13k 5er, but they help.

If you said 2500 Diesel you are most likely over it's payload capacity and those air bags are not the solution

KimNTerry
08-02-2018, 04:49 PM
If I were to purchase air bags for a 1 ton truck it would be the airlift 5000 ultimate with internal jounce replacement (just in case). I had the Firestone bags did not like that the jounce was removed. Other than that the firestones were fine for years with no issues. Now I have a new truck and went with Timbrens this time.

Uneasyrider
08-07-2018, 05:01 PM
I have the same truck, Firestones are OEM on the truck if you order them, they wont help your empty ride though, only loaded, and they wont increase your payload, not that you need to.

I have the factory running boards but I will most likely end up with the AMP power step boards to get more ground clearance and a lower step. I really like them.

rhagfo
08-07-2018, 09:41 PM
I have the same truck, Firestones are OEM on the truck if you order them, they wont help your empty ride though, only loaded, and they wont increase your payload, not that you need to.

I have the factory running boards but I will most likely end up with the AMP power step boards to get more ground clearance and a lower step. I really like them.

The Ram rear air system is not just a set of Firestone air Bags. It is a Ram designed system with an onboard compressor. It is not an addon, it is designed to carry the load, much like air suspension on semis.

Laredo Tugger
08-08-2018, 06:07 AM
From the OP:
The hits just keep on coming! Thanks to all who have replied,especially those with the same TV. Still could use some help with a couple of questions to follow.
An update.
After discovering that my Curt 16K Slider hitch needs a special adapter for the "Puck system" in the truck (and luckily Ram is the only brand that has this adapter,according to sales rep) I was now working with a big up kick in the height of the hitch (new truck 3 3/4" taller than old truck and adapter added another 2-3") and not knowing how much the truck will be lowered (sag)when the 5er is hooked up made it difficult to select where to adjust the hitch. Went for the lowest setting.
The truck dropped about 3" with the trailer hooked up and does not ride level. Not so bad that the headlights are out of whack,but there is a change in profile. I have seen may TVs towing on the road with the same profile. Not being an expert in Ram suspensions I would assume any change from a normal ride (level profile) would add to tire wear, Air bags will not change the weight but will change the ride on the tires. Correct? Do I really need them? Looking at these if needed:
https://www.suspensionconnection.com/57295-ram-air-springs-3500.html?gyear=2018&gclid=CjwKCAjwhevaBRApEiwA7aT53w7xM68FNB2cvtVTxrLQ GuoJSJUjWsN_YBWoTRgyT0jDAY6JQXdM2BoC0twQAvD_BwE

The trailer measured 24" from ground to frame in front and 26" in the rear,but appeared level on the bed rails with 6 1/2" inches of clearance. While turning on an angle (non flat surface) the electrical box on the king pin frame gouged into the top of the the tailgate plastic cover material. I can adjust the box but am also considering raising the hitch up one hole (approx 1") on the adjustment plate. This will offer slightly more tailgate clearance and adjust the offset in the height of the trailer previously mentioned.
All comments and recommendations welcome. Thanks again.
RMc

P.S. The truck pulls the trailer like a dream and rides really nice when hooked up. I nicknamed the truck "Mongo" because of it's power.
Mongo like trailer! :)

Racebug
08-08-2018, 07:53 AM
I have a curt set up in my truck that does not require an adaptor, worse case you could buy the bottom section and re-use the rest of your 5th wheel hitch possibly. When I had my old ram with a short bed it also gouged out the plastic on the tailgate. No big deal, never got any worse than scratching the plastic. My new truck has the auto level air bags, but also has softer leaf springs than a regular 3500 DRW ram.

Uneasyrider
08-08-2018, 09:51 AM
The Ram rear air system is not just a set of Firestone air Bags. It is a Ram designed system with an onboard compressor. It is not an addon, it is designed to carry the load, much like air suspension on semis.
It looks like this:

https://www.driveriteair.com/uploads/Dodge2.JPG

Racebug
08-08-2018, 11:04 AM
it is a closed loop system. It has a nitrogen tank and compressor that moves nitrogen to the tank or to the bags. compressor runs when unhooking and when hooking the 5th wheel.

Laredo Tugger
08-08-2018, 12:10 PM
I have the slider hitch (for short bed) and was told that I could not use the mounting bars (flat pieces that bolt to the bed) with the Puck System that is on the truck. So the adapter was needed. I just raised the adjustment one bolt hole on the hitch and remounted the electrical box higher up in the king pin box. I have not hooked it up yet for a check with the new height adjusted.
I do not have the factory air bag system, so will be looking at aftermarket products.
RMc

nesparky
08-12-2018, 03:50 AM
Air down your tires to 60lbs when not towing, the ride will improve and you don't have to worry about the tpms light freaking out like on the 2500.

Laredo Tugger
08-12-2018, 05:09 AM
OK. I guess the TPMS on my 3500 won't freak out either.
Thanks
RMc

Danno
08-13-2018, 07:59 AM
I too have a 2018 3500 DWR CC Ram with the towing package and air ride. what I can't understand is this, you can't just push the button and the system will deflate because you get a message that says the load is too light.

However it works with my fifth wheel once its on the TV but if I hook my boat up to the truck it says its too light again and my tongue weight is 700 lbs!

And this just urks me, out of all of the trucks I have own, Ram decides to move the trailer plug to the right side of the license plate! we have five other Ram trucks at work and all have it on the left.

What am I missing?

Laredo Tugger
08-23-2018, 12:22 PM
OK
Long time coming update, Finally got the Air Lift 5000 bags installed. They seem to raise the TV up in the rear which is good because the truck had some sag with the 5er hooked up.
Today I hooked up with the air bags (had maybe 10 lbs. psi in them) and the truck sat level but the trailer was about 2 inches high in the front so I let some air out to get the trailer level. I rechecked the trailer and got a little over half an inch in my favor (closer to level) but the air bags now have no air in them at all.
I went for a test drive of about 35 miles on the highway and my TPMS showed normal tire temps all the way around (all four) and the truck rode very comfortable.
My question is, am I OK running the air bags deflated and is the inch and a half difference (high in front) critical? Especially with all OPs normal.
Thanks
RMc

sourdough
08-23-2018, 02:47 PM
I will let others chime in on the height but all the airbags I've seen generally require a minimum inflation pressure. In the case of the 5000 I believe it is 5 psi.

Laredo Tugger
08-23-2018, 03:56 PM
True. After I posted I called Air Lift and was informed that 5 psi. is a minimum pressure for my product. So I re-inflated them. Will not know if I raised the trailer higher until my next hook up, but when I do I will have a keen eye on rear tire pressure and wear.
Next adjustment is probably the king pin box. Oh fun..........:(
RMc

rhagfo
08-23-2018, 06:09 PM
True. After I posted I called Air Lift and was informed that 5 psi. is a minimum pressure for my product. So I re-inflated them. Will not know if I raised the trailer higher until my next hook up, but when I do I will have a keen eye on rear tire pressure and wear.
Next adjustment is probably the king pin box. Oh fun..........:(
RMc

King pin box is an easy one person job. Use the tailgate of your truck and landing gear loosen all bolts, leaving one in each of the four corners. Then just rest the pin on the tailgate. Then remove either the font pair or rear pair and then raise or lower LG to get to the next set of holes. Put in bolts, then remove other pair and align those holes.