PDA

View Full Version : Timbren and Sumo helper springs

fjr vfr
07-23-2018, 04:33 PM
I'm considering adding either Timbren of Sumo springs to my Ram 2500. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer and was wondering about the experience others have with both of these?
So if you have one of these, how do you like them?

Thanks

Kylemcmahon1
07-23-2018, 04:37 PM
I have Timbren with my ram 2500 with Cummins. I tow a keystone outback 325bh tt 38 ft long and around 11000 loaded with Anderson wdh hutch. I left the spacer out of my Timbrens. So when not loaded rides like a normal 2500. When loaded holds the truck well and stop all the bouncing I had before.

datasponge
07-23-2018, 04:37 PM
HI. I installed sumo springs on my 2010 F250 that I use to pull a 5er. It helped a lot with leveling out my ride. I didn't tow enough without them to really comment on any other potential benefits like smoothing out bumps, stability, but I've read other reviews that gave favorable impressions of their help in those areas. That said, the ride feels very stable.

But, when I don't have a heavy load like the trailer on, they don't engage.

As always, YMMV.

Edit: I chose the sumo springs over the timbers because of the more spring like effect, where as reviews of the timbers I found a common complaint about the harshness on bumps. I don't feel that with the sumos.

Canonman
07-23-2018, 04:45 PM
I installed the Timbren in lieu of adding overload leaf spring. The install was very easy but you will need a 1/2 drive socket wrench to remove the original bump stop. Mine was a little rusted. When we drop the Cougar on the hitch, we're still about 1/2 inch off the Timbren. Ride with the Cougar hooked up is great and sag is minimal. Ride empty did not change with the install of the Timbren. With 80lbs in the tires it rides a bit like a 3/4 ton truck:)

lunge motorsport
07-23-2018, 05:34 PM
Shortly after purchasing my 5th wheel it was clear that the truck needed some help. I did some research and decided to go with the Timbren rubber bump stop replacements. After 2 years and probably 15k miles I'm happy to have taken them off. Yes they did limit the excess sag at the rear axle and the truck rode level. But once they engaged they were brutally harsh. They felt like the rear axle was bottoming out onto a very dense piece of rubber rather than a soft progressive spring. They absolutely degraded the ride of the truck. I replaced them with Air Lift 7500XL air springs which was a remarkable improvement. I chose the 7500 large diameter bags because I could run a lower pressure in the bags and achieve the required ride height adjustment with a softer cushion effect. So if anyone is interested the Timbrens are listed in the classifieds on this and one other forum...cheap!

fjr vfr
07-23-2018, 06:47 PM
I was just reading a review on another site. This person changed from the Timbren springs to an air bag set up. He said it kept him level, but his complaint was the ride was harsh when pulling his 5th wheel. He stated the ride improved with air bags.
Any similar experiences? Maybe I should be looking at Air bags?

datasponge
07-23-2018, 06:52 PM
I haven't heard of anyone who removed an airbag system to go to timbren/sumos. If your budget and installation capabilities support it, consensus seems to be that's the way to go.

Canonman
07-23-2018, 06:58 PM
As I said earlier, I have not found the ride harsh at all with the Timbren when the Cougar is hooked up. The Timbren is not normally engaged and I don't really notice when it does engage with a bump or uneven road. I'm usually about 1500 to 1800 on the hitch.

RoscoeV
07-24-2018, 05:08 AM
I just installed the Timbrens in my 2018 RAM 2500 and so far I like them. My truck only has 9,000 miles and the suspension is still pretty stiff so the Timbrens are working great. The ride with them towing my 5er made a big difference and I don't have the harsh pounding. I installed them without the spacer and don't know they are there when I'm empty.

If the ride changes over the years I may go to air bags but as of now I'm pretty happy.

Carrottop
07-24-2018, 06:56 AM
I added the Timbrens to my 09 F-150 about 2 months ago. The first trip I really noticed the stiffness with them. After that either I have gotten used to it or they softened a bit but they made a huge difference on the level of the truck. I also did not use the spacers to maintain a smoother ride when not loaded.

cpaulsen
07-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Timbrens here......on my Ford with a 37' 5th wheel at about 13.5K loaded........truck used to sag about 2" before and now nothing at all. Still hve my 7" clearance at the bed rails and ride is good!!

sourdough
07-24-2018, 04:02 PM
I've watched this thread pondering....

My 14 Ram 2500 has about 66k on it. It has sagged a bit from when I first started putting my trailer on it. Part of it I'm sure is more weight as we keep adding "one more thing" along with age and pulling the trailer load. I used to have Airlift air bags on a 1500 and they worked well. Constantly airing up/down for loading was a pain.

I've looked and looked at the Timbrens and read all the glowing things the ads say. I've read what seems like evenly mixed reviews of them either being great or pounding on the axle making the ride harsh when unloaded due to the proximity of the rubber support to the axle. I would not deal with that. I'm thinking I'm going to add Bilstein 5100s all around and see if that won't help with the axle hitting the Timbrens. I won't keep the truck but about 30k more miles (I think) but wanted to see what kind of difference they make. The posts have been interesting and informative.

Ddubya
07-24-2018, 04:15 PM
I just added the Sumospring Rebels. They are a little different in they are two piece. I had Timbrens on my last truck and had no issues. Will not be towing until late August so not sure how they will perform.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-supersprings-debuts-sumospring-rebel/

datasponge
07-24-2018, 05:00 PM
I would recommend adding the sumo springs to your research. I went with them and have been very pleased. I have a cougar 326RDS 5th wheel pulled by a 2010, f250. My truck doesn't sag when hitched, and there's no slamming on bumps. The sumos definitely act more like an additional spring and smooth things out. I have no doubts that a properly functioning airbag system is superior.. but for the price and ease of installation I'd buy them all over again.

busterbrown
07-25-2018, 01:38 AM
I'm thinking I'm going to add Bilstein 5100s all around and see if that won't help with the axle hitting the Timbrens. I won't keep the truck but about 30k more miles (I think) but wanted to see what kind of difference they make.

I swapped out the OEm shocks on my RAM for 5100 Bilsteins this past spring. They're a nice improvement in rebound control and responsiveness to the smaller bumps and ruts of the interstate. Not sure if theBilsteins will help with the "dramatics" of the Timbrems when they engage. But I'm sure happy I swapped out the OEM garbage. Very noticable when unloaded too.

sourdough
07-25-2018, 03:37 AM
I swapped out the OEm shocks on my RAM for 5100 Bilsteins this past spring. They're a nice improvement in rebound control and responsiveness to the smaller bumps and ruts of the interstate. Not sure if theBilsteins will help with the "dramatics" of the Timbrems when they engage. But I'm sure happy I swapped out the OEM garbage. Very noticable when unloaded too.

Chris,

Were the 5100s for a lifted truck? Is yours? And, if not, do they work OK? I've looked and looked and it seems like the 5100s show to be for trucks lifted like 2". I've sent the question to Bilstein but haven't heard back.

On a side note, I've done a little research on the Sumo springs and I'm thinking I may try them. They appear to be a softer, or more progressive, construction than the Timbrens.

busterbrown
07-25-2018, 05:28 AM
Chris,

Were the 5100s for a lifted truck? Is yours? And, if not, do they work OK? I've looked and looked and it seems like the 5100s show to be for trucks lifted like 2". I've sent the question to Bilstein but haven't heard back.

On a side note, I've done a little research on the Sumo springs and I'm thinking I may try them. They appear to be a softer, or more progressive, construction than the Timbrens.

They are "marketed" for trucks that have a 2 inch lift up front and 0-2 inches in the rear. But the guys over on the RAM owners forum assured me that they fit non lifted trucks perfectly. And they do. In fact, they are the same length fully expanded as the OEM FCa junk. Somewhere I read that the shock mounts upfront changed in the early years of the 4th gen RAMs. Bilstein never changed the fitment guide I assume. There are members who've had them installed for years now on their trucks they use to actually tow with. No problems so far. Many articulate the same improvement I noted. I've read several owners did touch base with Bilstein and inquired like you did. They received the typical canned response. Don't expect Fox or Icon quality from Bilstein. I did not. But then again, I didn't blow $2000 on 4 shocks either.

Here's one of the forum threads that may interest you: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/shock-recommendation.119901/

And here's a real RAM owner's take on his new Bilstein 5100's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWLe08HfsYE

I did my research and enjoy my stock ride now.

sourdough
07-25-2018, 06:00 AM
Thanks. I'm a member of the ram forum but didn't think about looking there. Looks like I'll go with the 5100s.

fjr vfr
07-25-2018, 02:55 PM
I kind of like the reviews I'm seeing about the Sumo springs. Last months Trailer Life magazine had a review of them and had nothing but good to say about them. I'm leaning toward them over the Timbrens for now.
My plan now is to get some towing in with the stock set up before making the final purchase decision.

I find the posts here to be interesting and informative. Thanks
The more input the better.

sourdough
07-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Got the response back from Bilstein on the 5100s for a stock 2500HD truck:

"Hello,
The 4600 are the only way achieve the OEM ride, and ride height. The 4600 will outperform the 5100 at stock ride height and trim. Most 5100 will not fit or operate correctly at stock ride height."

busterbrown; you are using the 5100s on your stock 4x4 2500 right (front and rear)? Have you towed with them? I think they are a much better shock than the 4600 but don't want to go to the trouble of buying/installing them then hook up the trailer and say "oh crap".:nonono: I also read the link you provided (thanks). It was interesting. $2k on shocks and aftermarket springs etc. are for "play toys". I used to do those but those were dedicated vehicles. I have no use for that kind of stuff on a "work" (read tow) vehicle.

busterbrown
07-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Got the response back from Bilstein on the 5100s for a stock 2500HD truck:

"Hello,
The 4600 are the only way achieve the OEM ride, and ride height. The 4600 will outperform the 5100 at stock ride height and trim. Most 5100 will not fit or operate correctly at stock ride height."

busterbrown; you are using the 5100s on your stock 4x4 2500 right (front and rear)? Have you towed with them? I think they are a much better shock than the 4600 but don't want to go to the trouble of buying/installing them then hook up the trailer and say "oh crap".:nonono: I also read the link you provided (thanks). It was interesting. $2k on shocks and aftermarket springs etc. are for "play toys". I used to do those but those were dedicated vehicles. I have no use for that kind of stuff on a "work" (read tow) vehicle.

I PM'd you as I don't want to hijack the OP's thread.

fjr vfr
07-27-2018, 12:33 PM
I took my trailer up to weigh today and took the long way home to get a feel for the ride. It handled pretty good overall, but I didn't like the chucking action at times.
I went ahead and ordered a set of the Sumo Rebel springs from Amazon. They had the best price I found $417 with tax.

The problem I didn't notice untill after ordering they list ships in 1 to 2 months! Yikes! Now do I cancel the order and go to the next best price I found at $473 and have them in a week? I don't think I want to wait for maybe 2 months.
Anybody find a better price out there? Thanks

SkiSmuggs
07-29-2018, 07:15 AM
Wow, I installed Sumo springs a year ago and paid less than $300, but they were one piece, not the Rebels. They not only reduced sag by an inch, but they leveled the truck threw corners. I have about 3/4" before they engage so unloaded ride is unchanged.

Ddubya
07-29-2018, 12:36 PM
I just bought the Rebels for $398.00 total from Shock Warehouse. Arrived in about a week. I have not towed with them yet but I can tell a difference in the ride even empty.

mhbell
07-29-2018, 03:44 PM
I just installed 4 brand new Rancho 5000X series shocks on my 2011 F250 Super Duty 4WD XL 6.2L Flex Fuel. The shocks are the latest from Rancho and replace the 5000's. Next week I will be installing Air Lift 88396 Air Bags with the Jounce Bumper insite so the can be run without air and no damage to the air bag. I have installed air bags on a F250 Super Duty Diesel, F150, F53 motor home, and a F250 Super Duty Gasser. Have been very happy with air bags. I have towed several 5th wheels and a couple of travel trailers. The air bags made a big difference. Just my 02 cents worth.
Mel
:whistling:

fjr vfr
07-29-2018, 06:06 PM
I just bought the Rebels for $398.00 total from Shock Warehouse. Arrived in about a week. I have not towed with them yet but I can tell a difference in the ride even empty.

You could have kept the price to yourself. :facepalm:

Now I have to keep kicking myself for not finding that web site and paying too much! :banghead: Thanks

TJTx
07-30-2018, 01:47 PM
I just put timbres on my ‘05 Chevy Duramax pulling an Alpine 3401RS and they work great. When installed correctly, they level the ride nicely. I went with Timbrens over air bags because there is no maintenance and you do not have to constantly adjust them or worry about leaks or tears.

KimNTerry
07-30-2018, 01:49 PM
I just put timbres on my ‘05 Chevy Duramax pulling an Alpine 3401RS and they work great. When installed correctly, they level the ride nicely. I went with Timbrens over air bags because there is no maintenance and you do not have to constantly adjust them or worry about leaks or tears.

Same reason I went with Timbrens in my 150.

Wireman134
07-31-2018, 06:04 PM
I'm considering adding either Timbren of Sumo springs to my Ram 2500. I will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer and was wondering about the experience others have with both of these?
So if you have one of these, how do you like them?

Thanks

Your Ram Diesel 2500 does not have the payload capacity to handle a pin weight over 2,000lbs GVWR of Ram 2500 is 10,000lbs.

fjr vfr
07-31-2018, 06:41 PM
Your Ram Diesel 2500 does not have the payload capacity to handle a pin weight over 2,000lbs GVWR of Ram 2500 is 10,000lbs.

Who said it was over 2,000lbs?

The CAT scale said 1780lbs. The trailer total weight came out to 9,160lbs. Combined weight was 16,320lbs.

They both will go up very slightly as there was no food in the fridg or cabinets.

BTW, my trucks door sticker says payload weight of 2,511lbs and gcvwr of 20,000. I think I'm good.

rvlifeontheroad
08-01-2018, 08:12 AM
I have a 2008 F250 Super Duty crew cab 4x4 SRW with 6.5 foot bed. Long heavy truck and probably not the best choice to pull my 5vr. I have had all my trips to be uneventful for problems and the truck has always drove very smooth. The F250 with the 4x4 suspension I found out has a very fast rear spring rate.. (soft) there for the first 4 to 6 inches of rear spring travel will occur with as little as 900 pounds in the bed about after that the springs start to rest on the over load leaf... I cant complain and it road nice and smooth. I noticed during a pre trip inspection that rear bump stops had been making contact with the spring perch That was very concerning as it indicated I was bottoming out on occasions. I will say the rear of the truck sagged a bit with the 5ver attached about 4 to 6 inches. So I started to do some research on rear suspension up grade options. I decided on the Sumo Spring. I did not want to install air bags, lines, pumps and such. So I spoke with the Tech rep for Super Springs.. Great service!! and they recommended the Sumo Bump stop replacement springs. Easy to install, no maintenance and a great ride empty, loaded is level with great spring travel.

datasponge
08-01-2018, 02:43 PM
These are exactly what I put on my 2010 F250. Looks like the color change over time is the same too.

I found that the most difficult (which wasn't that difficult) part was getting the old bump stops out. The sumos were a piece of cake to put in. How was your experience with the install?

rvlifeontheroad
08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
Install was very easy.. but I also had the use of the drive on rack at work. I also replaced all of the Cab bushing to a stiffer plastic type of bushing. Between the new cab bushings and the Sumos.. the truck is very firm unloaded and just right loaded. I saved a ton of money with the Daytstar cab bushing kit and the Sumo kit as posed to the more expensive air bags and factory body bushings,although I had to use a torch to cut out the front body bushings... RUSTED

GMcKenzie
08-03-2018, 07:28 AM
Another happy Sumo user. I looked at them vs. the Timbrens and didn't like the reviews on the harsh engagement of the Timbrens so went with the Sumo. When unloaded and going over a bump, I can notice the difference from stock, but no big deal and I long ago got used to it. Loaded there is no bump as they are always engaged.

Not as good as air bags but good enough for my needs.

5th_Wheelin
08-03-2018, 09:19 AM
I have a Ram 2500 and a 2018 Cougar 359MBI that has a 2000lbs (ish) pin weight. I am using the Timbren bump stops and have no issues pulling my camper.

rhagfo
08-03-2018, 10:55 AM
I like the fact that I only have a factory Camper Package and don't need suspension addons to tow level with a 2,200#+ish Pin on a 12,000#ish 5er. I have the ish's as I have not scaled in the last year since we went full time.
The picture below was taken two days ago on the Oregon Coast fully loaded.

https://i.imgur.com/i7TR3pr.jpg