PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the main bed

THuds
07-23-2018, 09:57 AM
Hello,

We have a Hideout 29BKH that we hardly use the storage under the queen bed. After adding a memory foam topper my wife now has to literally climb up to get in bed and the height plus tight quarters makes hard for our pup to get on and off.

So has anyone ever lowed their bed? I’m thinking since it’s basically a box with plywood on top it should be fairly simple. I’m I overlooking something?

Thanks

Oh and I searched bed couldn’t find any related post

baker.jeff.d
07-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Hi. Part of your bed is likely over the front pass through storage, so you might be cutting into that, too, to lower the bed.

THuds
07-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Actually you are right. I completely forgot about that. I was just brainstorming while out of town on a non-camping vacation. I guess that’s why no one had posted about it before.

baker.jeff.d
07-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I get all sorts of ideas, too, while I’m thinking about the trailer. The DW or pocketbook does a good job of filtering the crazier ones out....

JRTJH
07-23-2018, 11:26 AM
Rather than lower the bed, why not raise the floor at the sides of the bed? A couple of 1x4's and a half sheet of 5/8" plywood will make the two "platforms". Purchase some matching carpet, staple it to the platforms and the "bed height" won't be as much a problem. If you decide to upgrade your trailer or if you get a new mattress that isn't as thick, just remove the platforms and things are "OEM" again.....

Mikendebbie
07-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Wow - great idea...raise the floor! I love it!

KeithInUpstateNY
07-27-2018, 04:55 PM
"Building" on JRTJH's idea, use 1x8s and they will be closer to the normal height of a step AND if you leave the fronts open you will have extra storage. Just be sure to brace the joints so the 1x8s don't fold under.