PDA

View Full Version : Disney Fort Wilderness Campgrounds

DTJ9610
07-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Diney campgrounds in FL. My wife is looking at planning a trip to Disney next year and wants to take the camper down. We would be coming from Buffalo, NY (1,200 miles each way) so I need to do some cost comparisons to see if camping or flying and staying at a resort is cheaper. Just looking to get opinions of the campgrounds and their ease of getting around Disney.

5forcamping
07-22-2011, 06:30 PM
We stay 2-3 times a year at fort wilderness. It is the wife and kids favorite. The rates vary throughout the year. Go to the website "rvparkreviews" and you can see many favorable reviews. THey discourage driving your vehicle once you set up camp and you don't need to. Inside campground everyone has bikes or golfcarts or rents bikes/carts on property. Busses circle campground every 15 minutes as well. You can also take a bus to every Disney attraction. There is also boats that take you to Disney as well as other Disney resorts on the lake. The facilities and amenities are second to none.

mike9661
07-22-2011, 06:36 PM
We stayed there Easter week last year a little crowded but not a problem. We did stay in a premium site and would do the same again. This has to be one of the best campgrounds we have ever stayed at. The buses and the boats will take you anyplace that you need to go.Good luck and enjoy your vacation.

christopherglenn
07-22-2011, 07:01 PM
The only thing I would do is rent a golfcart when you get there, It took us 2 days to figure that out last year. If you take the free busses and free ferries along with the free monorail (after the ferry ride to magic kingdom), you can get from anywhere to anywhere for free.

DAF
07-23-2011, 06:41 AM
Just spent 4 days @ Ft. Wilderness this week. It is probably our 50th stay there since 1990. We still love it! Unless staying with our grandkids we now don't even go to the themed parks and just enjoy all that is available free which is a lot. Now, in your case, I think your decision will hinge in how much time you have. The 2400 mile round trip will take some time. Traveling with the RV will probably compare favorably with airfare for your large family. What time of the year are you planning for? Spring and Fall are the best with very pleasant weather and fewer crowds! Good luck!

DTJ9610
07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Thank you all for the feedback. The pics look great. DAF we would most likely take a 2 week vacation with 5 -7 days at the park. This trip is just in it's talk phase so we'll see what happens.

E597283
07-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Yes..we drove down to Ft Wilderness for April vacation from Rhode Island. The resort is great and all the benefits of Disney. They have a nice water taxi at the back of the campground that goes over to the magic kingdom. I did think the sites were small and they don’t allow campfires. We drove down Rt81 and it was a nice drive

dave-g
07-29-2011, 02:32 AM
I have never camped there but, have been there 8-10 times. Last time I was there was the 1st time I stayed in the park. I'll never stay outside the park again. We stayed at pop culture- about 150.00 per night. Needed 2 room for 3 kids.

I'm in NJ- I figure I would need at least 2 day to drive down. So I would blow 4-5 days of a weeks vacation on travel.

I (at 49 years old) can not do more than 9-10 hours per day behind the wheel any more. And with my family in the car I do not want to push it.

BadmanRick
09-19-2011, 12:46 PM
"Disney does it right" is my moto. They have the Best Campground i have stayed at. The sights are clean and most have a lot of privacy between the camp sites. I have been to Disney World 55 times since it opened in 1975 and stayed at the campground probabley half of those times. I know you will enjoy your stay. :bdance:

tjl
10-16-2011, 04:45 PM
I know this is an old thread but I agree with everyone else. We've stayed at Fort Wilderness several times and it's always been a great time. It's about the best campground we've ever stayed at.

Thrasher
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Just got back from a week at the Fort. Wonderful - even in the rain and with three teenagers.

hankaye
10-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Thrasher, Howdy

"Just got back from a week at the Fort. Wonderful - even in the rain and with three teenagers."

Kypling said "You are a better man than I Gunga Din."

Make that X2.

hankaye