PDA

View Full Version : Best 5th Wheel Hitch Brand

White Water
07-20-2018, 03:07 PM
Getting a 2016 -18 Chevy 3500 soon . What brand hitch do y’all recommend? My 5er is 13400 lbs. dry.

Pull Toy
07-20-2018, 03:20 PM
I liked my HUSKY16K, for 15 years, it never let me down. I now have a REESE 16K slider in my F350 shorty. I loved the HUSKY over the Reese, but it's new to me... I'm still learning the procedure... still a substantial hitch, just different that what I'm used to.

If you go with a short bed, make sure to get a slider. Haven't need it yet, with the chamfered nose on my Alpine, but the option is cheaper than the damage! $$$

Good Luck,

White Water
07-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Long bed for sure

Frank G
07-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Short bed's are better

travelin texans
07-20-2018, 07:24 PM
B&W turnover w/ 5th wheel Companion hitch!!

Signguy71
07-20-2018, 07:27 PM
I have had a Pull Rite and a B&W, the B&W wins hands down. I have recommended it to friends and they agree.

travelin texans
07-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Had a Husky 16k prior to the B&W & if you weren't lined up near perfect or nearly level side to side it was a royal PITA to hitch/unhitch, wouldn't buy another one. Have a friend with the Reese & same issue.

Frank G
07-21-2018, 04:25 AM
I made a stupid post last night in response to a similar unrelated subject, considering the OP's request for hitch information. The post was stupid in that it provided no information as to why a short or long bed. The same holds true for the hitch question, especially if you have used 2 or more, a comparison would be great. Why is one better than another. To add to the discussion, I am towing with a entry lever Curt slider hitch. It is what it is, a little too much pin movement but it is reliable. Do I wish I purchased more hitch, Yes. Is price and weight a consideration, Yes. If we ever get another TV I will consider the "Goose Box" configuration. A single, removeable ball in the bed is very attractive to me.

BTW we have never use the slider portion of the hitch in a short bed TV.

Happy Shopping

reddog7571
07-21-2018, 05:16 AM
I found a used Trailer Saver 5th wheel hitch, by Hensley and never looked back. It was a little pricey, but I have a very smooth ride. It's an air ride type of hitch. When I go over bumps in the road, I never feel anything from the 5er going over the bumps. It's a very nice piece of equipment!

Javi
07-21-2018, 06:31 AM
If I would have had to pay cash money for my current hitch I'd have purchased a B&W for my Ford Puck system.. But since a fellow offered to swap me 3 archery lessons for a once used Reese for the Ford Puck System... guess which way I went.. :D

KOZKO
07-21-2018, 06:47 AM
Andersen Ultimate with B&W Turnover ball

Dave W
07-21-2018, 07:10 AM
A B&W I've found will never let you down - either as and add on to their Turnover system or as an OEM supplied puck style. A short bed truck MAY need a slider as well. Other brands are probably as good. If you choose an Anderson, make sure you do your homework first as not all[] users are really as happy as they say they are. It isn't a bad hitch though as long as you fully understand how it works.

Howie
07-21-2018, 08:40 AM
White Water, the real questions you should be asking yourself are do you want a rail system or a in-bed ball system and what you might use the truck for. If you have other uses for your truck bed having a flat bed floor is so much nicer than having the rails. Either setup gives you options. After having had 3 previous long beds and hitches, I recently purchased a F350 short bed and an Andersen hitch with the in-bed ball. I am now over 70 and I could no longer install and remove my hitches without help. After doing a lot of research I decided on the Andersen as I can install and remove it by myself very easily as it only weighs about 35-40 lbs. It is also easier to load and unload the 5th wheel in my opinion and I love the short bed manuverability versus the long beds I had. The setup is really nice, easier to use, and it rides extremely well. Make sure you think of all the uses for your rig before you buy anything!!

roadglide
08-24-2018, 08:32 AM
I ordered stright from Anderson company for the same price as Amazon. I have a fuel cell 20 inches wide sale rep said I need 3220 tbs with 10 inch base . I had 15 inch to the center of the ball to the tank. I'm looking forward taking out the heavy 20 k Reese And heavy puck adapter. I was also told the hitch will give me 91/2 inches more clearance from the truck cab.

SkiSmuggs
09-02-2018, 01:06 PM
B&W turnover w/ 5th wheel Companion hitch!!
B&W turnover goose ball or Reese drop-in goose ball for puck system, and the Reese Gooseneck hitch. While I am very happy with my Andersen Ultimate, the Reese Gooseneck adds air cushioning for a much higher price.