PDA

View Full Version : Shower skylight

Keystone half ton
07-18-2018, 05:38 PM
I found vent insulators but I can’t seem to find any for my shower it measures 14x21 1/2 any help would be appreciated thanks

Keystone half ton
07-18-2018, 05:39 PM
I’m new to this forum and I don’t know my way around sorry

chuckster57
07-18-2018, 05:42 PM
Vents are all standard 14X14 so vent insulators are easy to fit. Shower skylights come in several shapes and sizes so it’s hard to make/stock every size. We simply drape a large beach towel over the skylight on the roof to cut down on light.

K_N_L
07-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Are you looking / shopping for a replacement? Seems 14X22 is a standard size - available at a few sites like camping world and on ebay- $40 to $80.

Btw - Welcome to the forum - not to worry, everyone is new at one point.

fjr vfr
07-18-2018, 05:50 PM
This is what I use. You can stick it up to cover the shower vent and remove it when you don't need it. You can find them many places including sometimes Walmart.
It's made for doors, but works great for the shower vent. Dimensions are for the outside of the frame.

https://www.etrailer.com/Covers/Camco/CAM45167.html

Keystone half ton
07-18-2018, 06:01 PM
They look like windshield covers

fjr vfr
07-18-2018, 06:06 PM
They look like windshield covers

Yes and it works the same to deflect the heat either inside or outside. And it's cheap.

travelin texans
07-18-2018, 07:35 PM
This is what I use. You can stick it up to cover the shower vent and remove it when you don't need it. You can find them many places including sometimes Walmart.
It's made for doors, but works great for the shower vent. Dimensions are for the outside of the frame.

https://www.etrailer.com/Covers/Camco/CAM45167.html

Have the same & been using it for years.

Dave W
07-19-2018, 04:24 AM
I made my own shower skylight insulator using some Reflectix (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-24-in-x-25-ft-Double-Reflective-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST24025/100020855) I also cut some to size to insulate whatever windows are facing the sun. Then just recently, added some to the kitchen and 'office' slides that Montana dumbly used black material. I used a laser temp checker and there is a 12-15 degree difference before and after. I also found that Velcro Insustrial Strength sticky back wasn't any good while exposed to the heat as that stickum --- wont so ended up using 3M hook and loop which is a bunch more expensive but works (sorry about the side track/rant).

A note about those shower skylights - there is an inner and an outer plastic bubble with an air space that's supposed to insulate the RV's interior. Air is a poor insulation matrix so the heat just pours in, hence the need for some sort of real insulation or a reflective material. Also, those skylights are pretty delicate. On our last 5er, I replace one with a LEXAN version which you could actually stand on safely

Mikendebbie
07-19-2018, 05:39 AM
I had a camco door window cover (see below - 16x25) I used on my past 3 RV door windows and was not using it on my Monte. The shower skylight was nice in the winter but once summer arrived - I velcroed it in place...but with the heat build up the velcro adhesive on the reflective face of the cover turned to goo and the cover would not stay up due to velcro not sticking. The velcro on the skylight frame was fine. I cleaned it up and reapplied velcro to the camco cover and got my desktop stapler and stapled thru the velcro several times to give it some help staying in place. So far it has worked like a charm.

wiredgeorge
07-19-2018, 05:48 AM
Lexan skylight. I just installed this skylight on my 5ver over the tub.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXAN-Heavy-Duty-THICKER-RV-Skylight-22x14-ID-17x25-OD-SMOKE-TINT-18X26/331513761292?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

flybouy
07-19-2018, 06:01 AM
I used a silver looking light/heat insulator made for trailer door. Velcro in placed and has worked for many years. A piece of cardboard cut slightly larger and shoved up there would work in a pinch.

Tbos
07-19-2018, 08:14 AM
I followed the lead of someone else on the forum by taking the inside down and covering it with the shelf non-slide material. Then reinstalled it. It is beige in color with a small bubbly type texture. It seems to have cut down on the heat but still lets some light through.

Wawhoss
07-31-2018, 10:38 AM
I followed the lead of someone else on the forum by taking the inside down and covering it with the shelf non-slide material. Then reinstalled it. It is beige in color with a small bubbly type texture. It seems to have cut down on the heat but still lets some light through.

Did this to my shower skylight 2 years ago and it's still there, works like a champ.

Wawhoss

Pull Toy
07-31-2018, 02:43 PM
SORRY, First response should have been "WELCOME"!

I'm sure there are many good responses out there but if it's only a temporary issue, put a throw rug on the roof, if not, stay tuned, there are bunch of people here that just want to help!

Good Luck,