PDA

View Full Version : fan purchase and installl

Bill Slayton
07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Hi, I have a Cougar 21 RBSWE and looking to purchase and install an new fan above the bed. What is the best multi speed, reversible, quiet fan suggestion? YouTube makes the install look easy though I worry about causing future leaks....Also regarding putting power to the fan, there is a light less than 1 foot from opening. I assume I will be able to attach power using the light.

Thanks

Canonman
07-18-2018, 09:35 AM
I just ordered the Heng's Vortex II for this same purpose. I'm planning on getting power from the bathroom fan which in our floor plan is real close and is "non-switched". Fan is a drop in addition to the existing bedroom vent so no new holes.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hengs+vortex+ii&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177608715720&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15778789116787910762&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029749&hvtargid=kwd-189955143421&ref=pd_sl_42q98c8y8d_e

JRTJH
07-18-2018, 09:47 AM
.... What is the best multi speed, reversible, quiet fan suggestion? ....Thanks

Your question has multiple answers. If you're looking for the "easiest installation" then it's probably the HENG add on fan. If you're looking for the "quietest operation" then it's not the HENG, but probably Maxx-Fan or Fantastic.

Cost for the HENG model 1 is around $55. We had one and returned it after installing in the bathroom of our Springdale. It was extremely noisy. I understand the HENG model 2 is much more quiet. It also is about $80-$100, but I have no experience with them. We bought a Fantastic reversible fan ($160) and installed it (with all the roof cleaning that goes along with it). It's quiet enough that we can't hear it on low when outside the bathroom door. It moves enough air to feel the inflow breeze in the living room when the fan is on high. Maxx-Fan has comparable models.

I'd urge you, whichever you decide, HENG, Fantastic or Maxx-Fan, get a vent cover to add to the roof as a part of your installation.

bill-e
07-18-2018, 04:21 PM
I went with the Maxxair Deluxe Fan with Remote. Integral cover that can be remotely opened and closed but like all Maxxair covers can be left open all the time without fear of water.

The most difficult part of the installation is getting the old vent off...you have to completely remove it being careful not to damage the roof.. Then clean all the sealant off the roof. Use butyl tape under the flange and then seal it and the screws with Dicor self leveling.

chuckster57
07-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Max Air. I have two, the one in the bedroom is manual because we can reach it, family room is remote. 10 speeds in/out and no need for a vent cover.

Installation is easy Peazy, they come with instructions but it seems a bit confusing, just shoot me a PM and I can give you step by step detailed instructions.

Andymil
07-18-2018, 09:10 PM
X2 on the MaxAir. Pretty quiet on the lower speeds and moves a good amount of air. Hardest part of installation is removing the old vent without damaging the roof and cleaning the old sealant off. I went with the manual model because it was easy to reach. Got the Fanmate cover so we can leave the vent open.

I haven’t had any experience with other brands.

cvin
07-18-2018, 10:44 PM
X2 on the Maxxair
I have the deluxe with remote etc
Love it

Not hard to install, would think they are all the same, main thing is cleaning off the old vent sealant