PDA

View Full Version : Grump alert: camp apps, drones, generators, loud music, etc

steamboatscott
07-18-2018, 06:11 AM
Does anyone else miss the “good ol’ days” of camping where campers were quiet without generators/music, enjoyed the outdoors without flying their drones, left with whatever trash they brought, and finding that beautiful dispersed campsite required a bit of work but rewarded you with serenity? It seems that apps like Allstays, Campendium, etc have brought more people than the land can withstand, and too many of those visitors aren’t treating the land well either.

Northofu1
07-18-2018, 06:17 AM
I hear you scott, it's not just campgrounds. Concerts, theatres, sporting events, schools, community centres, anywhere humans congregate. I look at camping from a May - June September - October perspective. I don't want to be in a KOA in the summer.

notanlines
07-18-2018, 07:07 AM
Let me take a slightly different view. I do see the crowded conditions, and also the generator noise, but I believe that we, both Canada AND United States as a whole treat our spaces slightly better than in the past, leaving places cleaner and in somewhat better shape. However, I can’t do anything about drones, barking dogs, and adults on their cellphones rather than talking to each other.

LuvsPalmTrees
07-18-2018, 07:20 AM
I feel that true campers treat the land/campsites better now than they did before. I am not a fan of what we call "Weekend Warriors".

bob91yj
07-18-2018, 08:19 AM
I went camping with half a dozen "adventure travelers" a while back. I started laughing when I looked around the camp fire and every single one of them had their noses buried in their cell phones. I use my cell phone for work, rarely even know where it is on the weekends/vacation days. Everyone that knows me knows that they have to call my wife to get reach me when I'm not at work.

MarcS
07-18-2018, 08:21 AM
I love listening to music while camping. That being said I always walk my site and all around my camper to make sure others can not hear it. We have two beagles we bring camping. We always make sure they do not annoy others. Dogs bark, but excessive, and they go into the camper to calm down. It seems I'm always picking others trash up when I get to a campsite too.

Lenny K
07-18-2018, 08:30 AM
One thing that I don't miss from the old days is that when you moved into a campsite you had to police the area of cigarette butts.

JRTJH
07-18-2018, 08:37 AM
With a profile name of steamboatscott, it's no guess where you're talking about.... When we lived in Denver in the 70's, we spent lots of weekends in the area around Steamboat Springs. Back then there was one ski hill with a rope tow and a couple bars on main street. Otherwise, Steamboat Springs was a "sleepy little town".

We went back through the area (we own 5 acres north of Steamboat Lake) a couple years ago. Gone were the 80' fir trees and the isolated campground at Pearl Lake. Gone was the open camping on the east shore of Steamboat Reservoir. The entire campground at Pearl Lake had been "clearcut" and new "level parking pads with tables and fire rings" installed on steeped levels to accommodate as many campers as possible. The trash cans were filled, plastic bags stacked by the dumpsters, paper blowing across the campground and the entire area "screams of overuse"....

Steamboat Lake State Park looks to be, essentially, a blacktop maze of campsites, some with electricity, water and a couple of dump stations. The old camping area, on the east side of the reservoir, near the dam, is a big parking lot, several 55 gallon barrels for trash, no covers, trash blowing around the area. There were signs "admonishing users" to pick up after themselves, a list of 3 pages of "rules" (all of which were common sense for anyone who cares, but obviously being ignored because there was no "enforcement")... That area, also "screams of overuse".

Those fond memories of going to Columbine and not seeing another human for the week??? All just "fond memories"..... Ain't happening in today's campgrounds north of Steamboat Springs.

Sad, honestly, very sad. To me, it's not about "not seeing other people" it's about, "not seeing what they destroy that belongs to all of us."

travelin texans
07-18-2018, 08:46 AM
There are 2 types of campers we've noticed lately.
There's those that enjoy the outdoors & all that Mother Nature has provided, pick up after themselves & their pets (everyone has at least 1 pet), & are willing to help others around them.
The other group, which gets larger every weekend, shows up & thinks the ENTIRE park is theirs from the time they arrive until they drive out leaving trash, dog poop, old bbq grills & whatever else they don't need/want anymore behind. The whole time the kids running through everyone's sites with the dogs running/barking behind them, no respect for anyone else. Then at dark they build a huge campfire at each site stinking up the whole park, playing music loudly til the wee hours of the morning. Then they show up in the bathhroms/showers, if you didn't use the facilities Friday afternoon before they all arrived, forget using til late Monday after the poor workkampers have had a chance to scoop out the big stuff & hose it down. Never have understood writing on the bathroom walls with poop?? The worst part is it's not all kids doing it???
Since we've went fulltime we try to find 55+ parks (some of which are not much better) or non kid oriented parks. We're too big for most state/national parks.
Sorry to be so long winded, but that's my "grumpy ole' fart" take on the campgrounds of today.

Canonman
07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
My grandson's (19) hiking app saved the day for us. We were looking for the Proxy Falls trailhead on hwy 242 and I was sure we must have missed it and after some discussion was ready to turn back and look for it. The app said keep going it's further down the road. Sure enough we found the trailhead about 10 minutes later. Grandson put the phone away and we enjoyed a great hike and photography session for the rest of the day.
Had to eat a little crow after being reminded of some remark earlier about map, app, butt, and both hands:)
Don't really mind crow once you get past the beak and feet...:whistling:

Number 4
07-18-2018, 10:05 AM
My son and two granddaughters camped with us for three days in June. First thing I did before they arrived was pick up a thankfully minimal amount of previous camper trash (and I always leave a campsite clean). The girls spent car time on the drive up and in their tent with electronics, but when they asked about recharging them their Dad said, "Nope, we're here to enjoy the outdoors." Atta boy son!

My recent irritation wasn't with campers but with rules and regs in California that prompted a "clean-up" and what I supposed was an ADA compliant retrofitting of a favorite campground. I'm a left leg amputee and admit the half-price fee for certain parks is nice, but come on gov't people... do we really need natural boulders, tree trunks and ferns removed to be replaced with decomposed granite and 3-foot high fire pit enclosures? It destroyed the feel of the place. Over the years nature is taking over again, but it's nothing like it was before.

As for the crowds and noisy group camping sites I've been pretty fortunate. One of our annual outings is the weekend after Labor Day when everyone has had their big hurrah last trip of the summer. The lake levels may be low but it's peaceful.

I recently posted about Collins Lake, their high fees and packing people into their 500+ campsites. I guess if you grew up with that it's "normal", but I camp to get away from the daily grind and crowds. We don't have a TV in our trailer, just a selection of favorite music CD's and the button that disconnects outdoor speakers so we don't bother any neighbors.

flybouy
07-18-2018, 12:00 PM
I believe it was Yogi Berra who said " No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

Dave W
07-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Love quiet (at least most of the time). Our summer CG is usually ridiculously quiet. Want to blab on your cell phone - good luck. If conditions are right, you MAY get a couple bars near the office. Like to drink and party past 11:00 - not at that CG. You WILL get an owner's visit. If you continue, a second visit will occur along with a flashing light bar on a Ford Explorer. You will not hear airplanes, Jake brakes, car horns tho a train horn does occasionally happen way off in the distance. You may wake up to the odor of fresh manure in a nearby field or a black and white kitty may have unloaded.

We escape the noise of a new housing development, the roar of I-87 3 miles away and a couple neighbors incessantly yapping dogs along with the moron across the street that likes to rattle the neighborhood's windows with his truck's stereo.

Those new 'campers' and I use that word loosly are in part a new breed of fairly well heeled people that have heard that it's fun to commune with nature - as long as they still have their TV, boom boxes, cheap beer and can sleep in air conditioned comfort. The next time the economy dips, those that have heavily financed toys based on their past income - those toys, including RVs will sit in back yards or worse. I'm not going to get into the entitlement phenomena that the world is facing, but that is all part of the all me, me,me, me and just because I can!

Number 4
07-18-2018, 12:45 PM
I just remembered something about that camping outing with the DW, my son and two granddaughters. A large TT pulled by a dually with a huge racked cargo area in back (obviously a work truck) took both campsites next to us. The site nearest to us was used just to park the truck and I watched as the guy unloaded kayaks, bicycles, rafts and more in that site. The campsite they occupied was truly amazing with multiple pop-ups, tables, chairs, coolers, hammock, piles of cooking gear, fishing rods and such spread everywhere. It made me tired just looking at everything that would need to be packed up and then unpacked when they got home!

flybouy
07-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Those new 'campers' and I use that word loosly are in part a new breed of fairly well heeled people that have heard that it's fun to commune with nature - as long as they still have their TV, boom boxes, cheap beer and can sleep in air conditioned comfort. The next time the economy dips, those that have heavily financed toys based on their past income - those toys, including RVs will sit in back yards or worse. I'm not going to get into the entitlement phenomena that the world is facing, but that is all part of the all me, me,me, me and just because I can!

Reminds me of the 1980's - 90's and the rise of the DINKS (dual income, no kids) when DW and I were boaters. The bigger, loader, and gaudier the boat the more desirable. When the market crashed the boats were on the sales lots in numbers and to us the Chesapeake Bay returned to it's former, friendlier, family and waterman inhabitants. JMHO

gkainz
07-18-2018, 01:54 PM
Gone were the 80' fir trees and the isolated campground at Pearl Lake. Gone was the open camping on the east shore of Steamboat Reservoir. The entire campground at Pearl Lake had been "clearcut" and new "level parking pads with tables and fire rings" installed on steeped levels to accommodate as many campers as possible.

Are you sure it was intentionally clear cut just to get rid of the trees? Our timber has been decimated by pine beetle over the last 10 years or so here, and the dead timber cut where there was a potential for personal injury by falling trees. Many other areas are an absolute mess of dead standing or fallen trees. One area north of Kremmling did get logged off to get rid of the beetle killed trees, but something went awry after cutting and stacking logs in landings, where it sits and rots today.

sourdough
07-18-2018, 03:32 PM
I just remembered something about that camping outing with the DW, my son and two granddaughters. A large TT pulled by a dually with a huge racked cargo area in back (obviously a work truck) took both campsites next to us. The site nearest to us was used just to park the truck and I watched as the guy unloaded kayaks, bicycles, rafts and more in that site. The campsite they occupied was truly amazing with multiple pop-ups, tables, chairs, coolers, hammock, piles of cooking gear, fishing rods and such spread everywhere. It made me tired just looking at everything that would need to be packed up and then unpacked when they got home!

LOL! That reminded me of a time.....:D

I've camped all my life and back in the 70s it was tent camping and the basic stuff. I made a friend that began work at our location (from FL, we were in SE NM) and he had never tent camped. He asked and I told him the basics of what you needed and what it was like. A time later I advised him we were headed to the hills and would he like to come along? Absolutely! He would get his stuff ready. On the day we were to leave I saw him come around the corner in his Ford Supercab….and my jaw dropped.

The front view of him coming down the street looked like the truck had "saddlebags" hanging off the sides. When he got there it was loaded higher than the roof (our location was 4 hrs. away) and stuff was hanging over the sides everywhere; including a 12'x12' piece of carpet! Since our conversations he had accumulated, I believe, every kind of camping "anything" he could find - much, if not most, was not needed at best. It was hilarious when he set up camp with the folding metal cots, on a carpeted floor; interior 12v lights, a 12v tv, little stands to go by the cots and on and on. I called it the Taj Mahal and it stuck...he called it that for many years. Thanks for the laugh and memory recall.

JRTJH
07-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Are you sure it was intentionally clear cut just to get rid of the trees? ....

No, I'm not sure of that, but if it was cut for beetle infestation, the beetles respected the road into the campground and all the trees north, east and south of the lake (they're all still standing). The only trees "clear cut" were in the campground area and about 100' on each side of the road into the area. There were stumps 36"-48" in diameter all over the area.

If you pull up a Google satellite view of Pearl Lake, you'll see that the campground is the only "brown, clearcut area" in that part of the state park.

ADDED: Looking closer at the lake, you may be correct about cut trees. There are what looks like fallen timber around the lake. But those areas are green, the campground is brown/gray with almost no vegetation. If you look closely, the old dirt road in the original campground is still visible between the new campground and the lake. In the 70's, it was a 10 site, very primitive campground. I don't think we ever camped there when there was more than 1 or maybe 2 other campers in the campground.

steamboatscott
07-20-2018, 05:40 AM
Pearl Lake campground was definatepy cleared for pine beetle. I find there and other areas of Northwest Colorado to be better than average for crowds and people respecting the environment. Probably because it’s easier to stop in Breckinridge and the surrounding area than to continue up the narrow and windy highway to Steamboat.

Getting back to my original point, I do believe that convenient locators like the apps mentioned previously allow too many people without respect for the environment to easily overcrowd the land. Without an easy pointer to the boondocks, I believe that more of those people would be in developed campgrounds and RV parks where camp hosts, state park staff, etc are paid to keep the area clean and enforced other rules of respect.

Hodgy
07-20-2018, 05:56 AM

Good conversation, valid points.

Most of the people we see are respectful of the CG and others. There are the outliers who somehow survived not being"thinned out" in their home town in their teens. They can be challenging to have in your CG loop. Completely clueless and the other problem is they breed and teach their offspring.

Ccrew
07-30-2018, 02:29 AM
Then at dark they build a huge campfire at each site stinking up the whole park

Lord forbid you have a campfire. The unmitigated gall of some folks! :facepalm:

LuvsPalmTrees
07-30-2018, 05:37 AM
Well - we just returned from one of our favorite campgrounds (10 day trip) and to watch how disrespectful some campers (and I use that term lightly) have become. The state campgrounds in Michigan are great. They have in roads and out roads, speed limit is 10 mph. I watched people flying through the campground, going the wrong direction, and going through someone's site because they cannot wait for someone to back in their trailer. I was just flabbergasted at how inconsiderate some campers are.

sourdough
07-30-2018, 07:37 AM

I love campfires...a lot. But, there is a time and place for them. In a packed campground, with units 15' apart is NOT the time to build a bonfire and run the folks around you out due to the wall of smoke and ash.

I watched one couple last winter (FL) that insisted on having a large fire outside their trailer. The park is situated so that the fronts of 2 trailers face each other with a space and the backs face each other into the service pods. They built the fire every evening, drank beer and carried on while the smoke literally flooded the persons trailer in front of them forcing them to close the door and windows. The same held true for many others as the smoke engulfed the sites. They could have cared less. They stayed a week and at the end of the week tensions were very high and they were the recipients of a lot of animosity. When they left a discussion was had with the owner and the fire rings were placed in an open common area and that is where fires are now if someone wants one.

vampress_me
07-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Too funny with the timing of me reading this post. Yesterday, with the campground owner’s blessing, I just ordered these signs for our favorite campground.

This weekend my final nerve was hit for people speeding through. And the sad part, the campground has only 50 spots, tent and camper, total, with all the tent sites back on the loop with just a single gravel road to get there. We had well over 20 kids in the campground this weekend who play in the middle of the loop and ride bike on the road. And more and more idiots not having any respect for others.

So, we’ll see if this does anything.

AbHDToyHauler
07-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Well I have to say that the size and type of camping "vessel" is not really the problem. I have camped with many people that have huge trailers and motor homes but are also pleasant and respectful. The issue today is the "entitled" generation. We were brought up to say please and thanks and respect our elders etc. Many today just think of themselves. Our kids were brought up respectful as well and standing back and listening to them interact with others is a pleasure. My son is a huge fishing fan. He only does barbless catch and release. Funny enough the soldiers and policemen we have met are also great people to camp with. Think there's a reason??

66joej
07-30-2018, 08:16 AM
A campground we frequent in Kimberley BC has somewhat solved that problem with very hefty speed bumps. Pretty well have to almost stop to go over and then there is another one strategically placed! Can work on gravel roads also.

travelin texans
07-30-2018, 09:23 AM

Read "sourdoughs" comments! I totally agree! I enjoy a good campfire with marshmallows & s'mores, if so I'll build a fire at my site & not have to enjoy the "huge bonfire" right behind/in front of me that burns til 2-3-4am burning whatever they can throw ino it, some of which might be wood.
To be honest, can't remember the last time we parked anywhere that allowed open fires, due the droughts everywhere in the west, & they still burn up every spring/summer.

LuvsPalmTrees
07-30-2018, 09:28 AM
I think everyone enjoys a fire (S'Mores/popcorn/marshmallows) but it is all about being respectful of your neighbors. If someone had a campfire and got loud one night I can take it, but if they spend every night being loud and drunk with a smokey fire that is another issue.

LuvsPalmTrees
07-30-2018, 09:29 AM
vampress_me - love the sign.

Steveo57
07-30-2018, 11:39 AM
I'm a volunteer campground host at the largest state park campground in Maine. There's 250 sites and 4 bathhouses that we take care of.

I'd say that 99% of the campers are well behaved and considerate. But that always leaves a few who can ruin the stays of those around them.

There's only a handful of times this summer that I can recall where campers left a mess or they were disruptive.

The ones that really bother me are the screamers, especially the parents. All they do all day long is scream and yell at their kids. And some of the kids do it back. I feel sorry for them.

Screaming babies are another annoyance but for the most part people grin and bear it because we've all been there done that!

Dave W
07-30-2018, 11:59 AM
Ah - a couple of my pet peeves. CG speed and fires.

Our summer seasonal CG has. IIRC, 57 sites plus a few tent sites, There are two regular loops, one of whic we are at plus a 3rd that has only seasonals that never move - ever, This morning at 0630, I along with the older pup almost got run over by a weekender who thought 40 mph was a good speed. Additionall, we are bordered on three sides by access roads and of course, there are those high speeds blowing dust plus kids most weekends in neighboring sites. I'm about to make up some speed signs with my router for at least our end.

Smoke - last fall, Gettysburg CG, There are some sites that are really close and we were in one. Some moron (and that is not a loose term) pulled in next to us, proceedesd to open his LR slide at least 2 feet across our line. Yes they are marked. I asked nicely to move over then had to strongly explain the facts of real life. He moved. His next deed was to start a smoking fire which lasted until midnight then it was rekindled at 0630. The wood must have been willow as it stunk like burning garbage plus it was wet since it was raining.

flybouy
07-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Had one of those "bonfire builders" behind us a few years ago. I hooked up the hose with a nozzle and started wetting down my roof and the overspray "accidently" went over my roof. The idiot started yelling and I politely informed him that as long as he was going to build the flames of Hades I would protect my property in anway necessary. The party promptly broke up and moved to another campsite. My DW said it was probably the sticker on the back window of my truck that reads"ACP 45 because shooting twice is just silly".

xrated
07-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Had one of those "bonfire builders" behind us a few years ago. I hooked up the hose with a nozzle and started wetting down my roof and the overspray "accidently" went over my roof. The idiot started yelling and I politely informed him that as long as he was going to build the flames of Hades I would protect my property in anway necessary. The party promptly broke up and moved to another campsite. My DW said it was probably the sticker on the back window of my truck that reads"ACP 45 because shooting twice is just silly".

I like your approach and solution to the problem.....Nice! :D

steamboatscott
07-31-2018, 10:17 PM
The ones that really bother me are the screamers, especially the parents. All they do all day long is scream and yell at their kids. And some of the kids do it back. I feel sorry for them.

Simple "Chain of Screaming:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ANdDKzl2E

gearhead
08-01-2018, 03:38 AM
Huge bonfires, speeding, barking dogs, loud music, screamers, and door slammers annoy me as well. My latest peeve is car horns. I used to have neighbors that blew their car horn every time they pulled in their driveway. Sounded like a New York taxi stand. Now it seems some people have their car programmed to honk when ever they lock or unlock their doors. Not a big deal at the mall, but at 5am in a campground or 11pm next door is really rubbing me the wrong way.

TheGriz
08-01-2018, 06:55 AM
Hmmm...possibly some Bobby McFerrin therapy is in order :rolleyes:

https://youtu.be/d-diB65scQU

KYFamily
08-01-2018, 11:27 AM
In 14 years of camping I can't really recall any one camper bothering me to make me upset. When camping, other than boondocking, your going to get noise. As long as quite hours are honored I can pretty much put up with anything. It beats a day of work anytime.

Dave W
08-01-2018, 04:59 PM
.......then there are those that insist on using an impact wrench at some O-Dark Hour to set their jacks

vampress_me
08-01-2018, 07:44 PM
.......then there are those that insist on using an impact wrench at some O-Dark Hour to set their jacks

That’s always been a curiousity question for me. Why an impact wrench? Our Dewalt drill has always done a great job -without the added noise!

ctbruce
08-02-2018, 12:59 AM
These equal happiness on those nights when the neighbors are a little cray-cray.17802

notanlines
08-02-2018, 04:01 AM
I may be guilty of pulling this thread astray, but does it seem that people with the horn-honk-door-lock seem to revel in the attention they get when activating said lock, sometimes repeatedly? I believe if that remote was put.....no, not THERE!:eek::D

JRTJH
08-02-2018, 04:04 AM
Frustration in campgrounds is not an "American thing".... When we were first married, we tent camped through Europe. While in Italy, we camped in a vineyard near Venice. We arrived about 830 at night, by the time we registered, found our site and started erecting the tent, it was dark. Now if you've ever seen the elaborate tent designs that frequent campgrounds on the continent, you'd know that they have hundreds of tent stakes and it takes an hour or more to erect the tent. We had a canvas, 9x12 Coleman (tan/white) tent with 8 stakes. Metal hammers and steel stakes do make noise, and as I was pounding in the seventh stake, the Italian gentleman in the next site came over, offering me his rubber mallet saying, "Me bambinos, me bambinos" while gesturing that they were sleeping. I thanked him (in broken Italian) used his mallet for the last stake and all was quiet...... UNTIL..... about 11PM or so, some "vocal gentleman" about 5 sites away, started singing opera. That went on for nearly an hour, no complaints from my neighbor, even though I toyed with the idea of borrowing his mallet to offer to the opera singer..... We stayed in that campground for a week as we explored northern Italy, every night at 11PM, we were "lullabied to sleep".....

Campground "problems" are sometimes, more a matter of interpretation than frustration. Living that close together, there are going to be some things that happen which "rub some the wrong way".... Water off a duck's back is a good way to approach most of those irritants... What infuriates one may be relaxation to the next......

gearhead
08-02-2018, 04:33 AM
That’s always been a curiousity question for me. Why an impact wrench? Our Dewalt drill has always done a great job -without the added noise!

Especially when instructions for the levelers say "do not use impact".

The car horn thing reared it's ugly head here recently. The DW just bought a new Chevy Traverse and we were programming it at the dealership. I told the salesman whatever we do "the horn WILL NOT honk every time we lock or unlock it." I think we almost have it figured out, but it will do 3 quick honks if I leave the key in it and walk away. I need to look into that.

flybouy
08-02-2018, 06:09 AM
I may be incorrect but I think most car alarms will beep if the lock button is depressed two times, Fords have been that way for years. I think most folks want to hear the beep to confirm that it's set. On my truck the parking lights will come on when unlocking or locking the doors. When anyone is out at night I will say "watch your eyes" before operating the remote and apologize afterward. I think a little consideration can go a long way and from what I'm reading it's the inconsideration more than the annoyance itself that disturbed many,

Dave W
08-02-2018, 08:26 AM
I may be incorrect but I think most car alarms will beep if the lock button is depressed two times, Fords have been that way for years. I think most folks want to hear the beep to confirm that it's set. On my truck the parking lights will come on when unlocking or locking the doors. When anyone is out at night I will say "watch your eyes" before operating the remote and apologize afterward. I think a little consideration can go a long way and from what I'm reading it's the inconsideration more than the annoyance itself that disturbed many,

My '11 as well as the '17 Escape Titanium will beep when you hit the remote lock button a second time, The first time only the parking lights will flash and stay on a few seconds. The last truck, an '06 and the last car, a '12 Fusion worked the same way.

travelin texans
08-02-2018, 08:55 AM
If the horn honks occasionally that's understandable, but when it seems they're in/out every couple minutes they should leave the damn thing unlocked. Mine is programmable to NO horn just lights.

Dave W
08-02-2018, 09:08 AM
it seems they're in/out every couple minutes they should leave the damn thing unlocked. .

Don't forget that you can never fix stupid:nonono::nonono:

Dave W
08-07-2018, 03:21 AM
OK - never much bothered me before yesterday. The folks on the site directly across the road from me have to be absolutely numb. If they have slammed a door once, thay have slammed it shut 200 times since about 4:00 yesterday afternoon. I would commit a deadly deed if staying but am going home after I trim the grass (the CG does it but I trim it closer with my 25 buck clunk to the 5er))

66joej
08-07-2018, 06:23 AM
On the horn lock thing the '13 Ram and '00 Grand Cherokee both beeped off when the remote was only pressed once. Annoyed me and tried to get it silenced but no luck. Both vehicles are gone and the Ford is more polite. Only the park lights come on with the first press.

jack65
08-07-2018, 07:12 AM
However, I can’t do anything about drones,
Simple, shoot 'em with a shotgun, then say, "Whoops! I thought that was a duck..."

As for the problems listed, generators, loud noise, boat motors, cell phones... where I go (this month in fact) there is none of that... no gas motors, no cell phone service either. Last 8 miles is gravel and that weeds out a lot of the undesirables too.

From last year:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/MtAdams-TakhlakhLake-2017.htm

jack65
08-07-2018, 07:26 AM
I may be guilty of pulling this thread astray, but does it seem that people with the horn-honk-door-lock seem to revel in the attention they get when activating said lock, sometimes repeatedly? I believe if that remote was put.....no, not THERE!:eek::D
This is the first thing I turn off whenever I get a new car or truck. It is so annoying to hear the horn beep every time you lock and unlock your vehicle. The lights flashing are enough.

What is even worse are the idiots who have to hit their remote 3 and 4 times because they think it isn't locked the 1st time. The horn beep feature should be turned off in all vehicles at the factory. If the user is wants it, make them turn it on.

RK1978
08-10-2018, 05:14 PM
Lots of things irritate lots of people. I am guilty of one of those-my trailer has 3/4" drive for stabilizers and I use 3/4 socket and impact to raise them when we leave in the morning. I do it as quickly as possible but am not going to crank by hand and my drill is not set up to turn a 3/4 socket. Our major irritation is restroom facilities that are not handicap accessible, and we really appreciate the few places that have "unisex" shower facilities where I can help my wife rather than trying to "sneak" her into the mens showers very early or very late to help her shower. We generally use the trailer as a place to sleep and eat and otherwise are out in the surrounding areas so if it's noisy we turn on the fan or AC and play music-problem solved. Otherwise we sit outside and watch whatever is going on around us-everything from bison to birds to chipmunks and squirrels (and people).
PR
2008 Hideout
2007 Dodge 3500

sourdough
08-10-2018, 05:35 PM
Lots of things irritate lots of people. I am guilty of one of those-my trailer has 3/4" drive for stabilizers and I use 3/4 socket and impact to raise them when we leave in the morning. I do it as quickly as possible but am not going to crank by hand and my drill is not set up to turn a 3/4 socket. Our major irritation is restroom facilities that are not handicap accessible, and we really appreciate the few places that have "unisex" shower facilities where I can help my wife rather than trying to "sneak" her into the mens showers very early or very late to help her shower. We generally use the trailer as a place to sleep and eat and otherwise are out in the surrounding areas so if it's noisy we turn on the fan or AC and play music-problem solved. Otherwise we sit outside and watch whatever is going on around us-everything from bison to birds to chipmunks and squirrels (and people).
PR
2008 Hideout
2007 Dodge 3500

RK1978

If you have 3/4" sockets to raise/lower your stabilizers.....1) you could buy electric ones (stabilizers), 2) use a regular drill to lower them (get a good one with a lot of torque)....much less noise.

As far as handicapped, depending on the situation we are as well. Depending on where you are there are so many variables for a person when you have a disability. Finding those "perfect" places when traveling in an RV and wanting to see new/fun things can pose a problem.

Unisex bathrooms?? I'm from TX...."either you is, or you ain't" - never found a "unisex". I've seen, and encountered folks with problems; I say I, or anyone else, takes care of someone with a problem. Do I need to stand outside to help/protect the folks? That's fine. IF a unisex bathroom was for those handicapped folks that needed 2 folks "only" it would be OK, but, we have now devolved into a what, in my mind, is a pretty sick society.

If you are in a campground where I am, and need to take care of your wife in the men's room or women's, I understand and it won't be a problem for me and shouldn't be for anyone else.

fjr vfr
08-10-2018, 05:53 PM
HeadLights!! I can't count the times I've been sitting at my campfire and someone pulls in across from me and leaves their headlights on endlessly while they're setting up camp.
All the while they're shining directly into my eyes and lighting up my site like daylight.
And what's worst is most of the time they're not even using them to see what they're doing because the lights are shining into someone else's site and not theirs!
It's amazing how inconsiderate and unaware some people are!

JRTJH
08-11-2018, 07:31 AM
HeadLights!! I can't count the times I've been sitting at my campfire and someone pulls in across from me and leaves their headlights on endlessly while they're setting up camp.
All the while they're shining directly into my eyes and lighting up my site like daylight.
And what's worst is most of the time they're not even using them to see what they're doing because the lights are shining into someone else's site and not theirs!
It's amazing how inconsiderate and unaware some people are!

While I agree with you, maybe they are using the tail lights as "mood lighting" to soften their rough towing day ??? Nah, probably not.....

travelin texans
08-11-2018, 08:50 AM
The worst part is nowadays the lack of consideration is everywhere. I would've got smacked for not holding the door for someone, but now it's more normal for the person ahead of you to shut it on you. EVERYONE is in a huge hurry & it's me me me to be 1st.

Old Mustanger
08-11-2018, 08:56 AM
EVERYONE is in a huge hurry & it's me me me to be 1st.

You are right on that!

jack65
08-11-2018, 10:32 AM
My latest peeve is car horns. I used to have neighbors that blew their car horn every time they pulled in their driveway. Sounded like a New York taxi stand. Now it seems some people have their car programmed to honk when ever they lock or unlock their doors. Not a big deal at the mall, but at 5am in a campground or 11pm next door is really rubbing me the wrong way.
I turn my horn off in setup. When going camping I also turn off the flashing lights when I lock the truck, takes all of 10-15 seconds. But most people don't give a hoot as it's not "bothering" them. It's called "Don't Care".

gearhead
08-28-2018, 06:51 PM
My neighbor 2 houses down reminded me this morning what a Dumb Butt he is. He locked his truck and then the alarm went off. He was scrambling to get it to stop. His dog started barking. Then he comments to his son that the alarm seems to be bothering the dog. Yeah buddy you have no idea how it's bothering me. His truck is a ATT work truck. Reminded me I need to call them. The wi-fi falls off about every afternoon at least 10 times. The computer stops working and then the security alarm starts beeping. More stuff beeping at me. Get up and go reset it.
I told Betty we should have moved to the country. LOL

Dave W
08-29-2018, 03:11 AM
Another grump - have you ever been sitting outside of your RV, bev of choice in hand and in comes a rolling blackout? On both sides? We haven't had that at our 'home' CG where we are set up but others have and we have elsewhere. Those blackouts occur when the CG staff decide to put a 45 foot long. 13.5 foot tall mostly black RV like an Allegro Bus on each side of you, dwarfing your rig and blacking out the daylight as well as any view, especially on the LH side and it gets worse if they put all their awnings out. We saw that happen on the site across from us last weekend. Can't complain about the RV owners as they are usually decent, but the CG hosts just don't think about what it does to others, and since our home CG has been 'discovered', happening more often. Of the weekenders and overnighters, there seem to have been more 6 figure Class A units then towables most of the summer

flybouy
09-06-2018, 08:03 PM
Here's one of my favorites that happened a few years ago. Booked a stay at
Artillery Ridge cg in Gettysburg, PA. We had a 29' at the time and was given a site so tight that we couldn't open our awning and the tongue was 6" into the road. My BIL had 30' and was the same story. We set up, walked around and sure enough there in a big pull thru site was the smallest Coleman pop up I've ever seen. I don't think it was 8' long. Looked silly in that big 50 amp site with a lamp cord extension plugged in and run under the canvas.

gearhead
09-20-2018, 04:51 AM
Grump alert....I have a new one.
Before sunrise on a Sunday morning in Grand Lake St Marys State Park, Celina Ohio:
The garbage truck.
Otherwise a nice place.

vampress_me
09-20-2018, 05:23 AM
Well, I have to report in. I ordered and made 2 of these signs, double sided. And they seem to be working! Consensus of everyone I’ve talked to at the campground seems to be that a majority of people are driving slower. Thank goodness!

Hmm...and apparently I’m inept at uploading a right side up photo....

C.LeeNick
09-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Those signs are excellent!

As much as I like setting up in RV parks with hookups and amenities, my wife and I love dry camping in the boonies much better.

Some of the worst experiences we've had camping have been at campgrounds. Like the time we were tent camping a week in southern Nevada...We spent one night in a developed BLM campground just below Eagle Valley Reservoir in Nevada. A pretty popular fishing spot. We had been camping many nights in the boonies just setting up anywhere we ended up at the end of the day, but finding this little gem of a campground before dark, with covered tables, level spots, and restrooms, was a bonus. We had the entire campground to ourselves when we got there, and there were spaces along two sides of a little ravine, maybe 15 of them or so, so there was plenty of room for everyone who might show up later to spread out and not be on top of each other.

Wouldn't you know it, around midnight a fellow and his young son pull into the campground with their aluminum boat and set up RIGHT next to us. Only two sites occupied in the whole place. The aluminum boat was no more than 15-20 feet from our tent. And then the fellow proceeds to set up his boat for fishing later than morn...he pulls out a trolling motor and puts it on the boat, gets all his gear out of the truck and puts it all in the boat, opening boxes and pulling stuff out, putting tackle boxes and stuff in the boat, then re-arranges it all. As anyone here will know, banging around in that aluminum boat for an hour and half in the middle of the night when there isn't a another sound was VERY annoying. He might as well have been ringing the Liberty Bell right next to our tent. All through it, his young son was quiet as a church mouse, but the dude himself just seemed oblivious to all the racket he was making. Yes, I was grumpy! It was all I could do to not go out there and raise hades. I told my wife: "Watch, the guy will probably be pulling out before sunup to head to the lake." Sure enough, just a few hours later, before sunrise, he fires up his truck, 20 feet from the tent, and starts revving the engine to warm it up, and then heads out.

The only thing he left at his campsite when he left was his lantern, cooler, and some folding chairs. We broke camp and pulled out later than morning, never seeing the guy again, and I very much wanted to toss all his gear into the ravine behind his campsite. But as much as I wanted to, I just laughed it off and chalked it up to experience. We didn't stay at another campground that trip, just headed back into the boonies for a couple more nights.

mikell
10-05-2018, 06:24 AM
Fall camping last October in Michigan. Small campground 100 sites and 5-6 campers park where you want. In our class C we found an easy drive through and setup. Within 20 minutes another huge class A drives by the next road and sure enough pulls right in next to us. Tried to say Hi they just looked at us like how dare you. Pulled 2 huge bags of trash out from underneath and put them in their fire pit and lit them. I called the office and they came out but the people didn't really care so we moved to a spot our campfire smoke would go towards their rig like they did to us. At least we didn't burn out trash. never saw the people leave their rig and they ran the generator the whole time.

LuvsPalmTrees
10-05-2018, 06:42 AM
Mikell - how awful, I hate when people burn trash and have an entire campground to pick a site from and decide they want the one next to you. I love camping in Michigan in the fall. We are going in a few weeks and the Fall Festivals are done so we should be good. We have been in the campground where is was us and another TT on one side and maybe 2 on the other side. Love it.