PDA

View Full Version : Sprekin Squirrel

CrazyCain
07-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Well at least it isn't in the trailer....luckly i discoverd it before he started eating my wires...

I failed at turning the picture and i even followed Johns ( JRTJH) directions FAIL!!!!!

:banghead:
:facepalm:
:hide:
:nonono:

sourdough
07-15-2018, 02:33 PM
You know, if you would put some food a nice warm bed in there they wouldn't tear up stuff...……...:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Number 4
07-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Install one of these "Squirrel-Be-Gone" units. Guaranteed to keep anything/anyone from messing with your engine compartment!

flybouy
07-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Got a back yard full of those suburban rats! They drive our two Brittany Spaniels crazy.

JRTJH
07-15-2018, 04:16 PM
The picture, for you, young Jedi warrior, is turned. Never fear the correct side is up now and the right side, now it is down.

JRTJH
07-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Now, joking aside:

Tom,

Is that your truck???? How long has it been sitting in one place???? WOW !!!

CrazyCain
07-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Now, joking aside:

Tom,

Is that your truck???? How long has it been sitting in one place???? WOW !!!

John,
it is my car and it is driven every single day. First thing I did when I discovered it was check under the trucks hood..all is well..

The way I found it was my low washer fluid beeped at me.. most I can figure he built it when I parked it for the evening. I do park next to the trees in the yard..again with the sideways picture

JRTJH
07-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Time for a pellet gun and a bag of peanuts.... Baited hunting or investment protection ???? Hmmmmmm:whistling:

flybouy
07-15-2018, 06:34 PM
Time for a pellet gun and a bag of peanuts.... Baited hunting or investment protection ???? Hmmmmmm:whistling:

Actually bird seed works REALLY well, or uh, so I've heard.:whistling:

hankpage
07-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Nail a rat trap to a tree and bait it with peanut butter. High enough to avoid your dog but low enough not to attract birds.
I actually lost my garage to the furry little tree rats for two years till I got it back. They turn cardboard into confetti and anything stored in a box is scattered. They love Romex wiring to death .... literally.

John, I was living in New Jersey at the time where pellet and BB guns are considered firearms and it is a felony to discharge within city limits but rat traps are legal ..... I even graduated to the electric one and left it for the new owner. :peace: it's his problem now. :D

gkainz
07-16-2018, 05:47 AM
A friend has his wiring under the hood of his class C decimated by the little rascals TWICE! (because it's a family board, I can't call them what they REALLY are). Repairs paid for by his insurance company.
He bought an electronic rat trap (Amazon, WalMart, etc) and killed over a dozen of them across 2 seasons. I think he's made progress, as no more damage this year (yet).

flybouy
07-16-2018, 05:59 AM
When our oldest daughter went off to college we bought her a brand new Nissan Sentra. About six weeks later she came home to visit and her engine looked like that. After clearing the nest found 2 of the 4 spark plug wires chewed bare. New set of wires (fun to find for a new car) and back good as new. Planted a few moth balls around and no more issues. The little bas.... ds like to nest on a warm engine in cooler weather just like other critters do. Had a neighbour's cat did that many years ago. I got into habit of tapping on the hood before starting the engine. Would see her scamper. Unfortunately for her a different neighbour she only learned to not crawl up on MY engine to stay warm. Yup, she reached life #9 on top a Chevy 350.

xranchflunky
07-16-2018, 07:38 AM
They are a real problem on our horse ranch. Because it is an equestrian center with lots of kids and "City Folks" baiting is out of the question. We have used these: https://www.ebay.com/p/Rugged-Ranch-Squirrelinator-Live-Squirrel-Trap-No-Basin-90003/1100202316?iid=152828256867&chn=ps I put them out early in the morning and pick them up before customers start showing up. My record for one trap was 15...

JRTJH
07-16-2018, 08:50 AM
They are a real problem on our horse ranch. Because it is an equestrian center with lots of kids and "City Folks" baiting is out of the question. We have used these: https://www.ebay.com/p/Rugged-Ranch-Squirrelinator-Live-Squirrel-Trap-No-Basin-90003/1100202316?iid=152828256867&chn=ps I put them out early in the morning and pick them up before customers start showing up. My record for one trap was 15...

I've got two of the "munkinator" versions (smaller) of this. One in each pole barn and they work. Problem is, during the summer, you've got to check them daily or they do begin to smell. It's not "fun" to forget them, go on vacation for a week and come back to a full trap of dead, bloating chipmunks.... But, there are not nearly as many "critters" scurrying around now as there were before using the "munkinator".... Fortunately, we live in a area where "target practice from the back deck" is acceptable. It makes for a nice way to dispose of surplus lead and BB's while enjoying a cool summer evening breeze..... :)

travelin texans
07-16-2018, 09:29 AM
If it's under your hood like that, be sure to open the air cleaner box, the last time I found mine stuffed full of shredded stuff so much so the truck would hardly run.

sourdough
07-16-2018, 09:54 AM
When our oldest daughter went off to college we bought her a brand new Nissan Sentra. About six weeks later she came home to visit and her engine looked like that. After clearing the nest found 2 of the 4 spark plug wires chewed bare. New set of wires (fun to find for a new car) and back good as new. Planted a few moth balls around and no more issues. The little bas.... ds like to nest on a warm engine in cooler weather just like other critters do. Had a neighbour's cat did that many years ago. I got into habit of tapping on the hood before starting the engine. Would see her scamper. Unfortunately for her a different neighbour she only learned to not crawl up on MY engine to stay warm. Yup, she reached life #9 on top a Chevy 350.

My MIL lived alone after my FIL passed away and I took care of her. She lived 43 miles away. The neighbor fed stray cats and they ran around her property all the time even though she tried to shoo them away. One day she called and told me she started her car, heard a cat yell and now her car was making a funny noise. THAT cat reached life #9 on top of a Ford 2.3L and was left for me to dig out the mess.....not pleasant:nonono:

Javi
07-16-2018, 10:36 AM
This is what I though of when I seen the title to this thread... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fG1sDagU

bob91yj
07-16-2018, 10:52 AM
I work at a car dealership in the San Diego area. My customers have had some wluck with peppermint oil of all things. Get a couple of the magnetic "hide a key" boxes, stuff the box with cotton balls and then soak the cotton balls with peppermint oil. Place the boxes in various spots under your hood with the box opened s bit. We've also had some luck using Bounce dryer sheets zip tied in various locations under the hood. In both cases rodents don't like the smell.

Irish Spring soap is said to work as well, I've seen rodent chew marks on the soap bars so I don't think it is effective.

I was told at some point that most wire insulation on vehicles is made from soybeans which is why rodents like to chew on it. I did some research on this, according to the interweb it's true, Mercedes Benz was one of the first OEM's to use it. They started using that type of wire insulation in the early 90's.

Steveo57
07-16-2018, 07:09 PM
Mine looked similar a few weeks ago. Luckily I found it by accident while giving someone a jump. It had only been there a few days I think. No damage and I've been checking every morning now and leaving the hood open all day along with taking the truck for a quick drive to shake things out hopefully.17516

LuvsPalmTrees
07-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Javi - LOL. Thanks I needed that video.

travelin texans
07-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Mine looked similar a few weeks ago. Luckily I found it by accident while giving someone a jump. It had only been there a few days I think. No damage and I've been checking every morning now and leaving the hood open all day along with taking the truck for a quick drive to shake things out hopefully.17516

Looks like they ate your carbuerator!

Years ago I went out & fired up the bbq, without opening it, & in a couple minutes it began to smoke & an awful stink, turned it off, opened the lid & found they'd packed full of grass, dog food, rags & all were smoldering, DW said "throw the whole thing away & go buy another one, I'm not eating anything that comes out of that one!!".
CrazyCain, what does "Sprekin" mean? I can imagine what you actually called it!

IHnutz
07-22-2018, 09:33 AM
My brother had the same problem. His company car had the air cleaner and intake manifold packed full 3 times. Fortunately (for him) the company service plan payed for it - more than $1000 each time. :eek: He found a product that smelled like Coyote urine at one of the big box hardware/lumber stores and spread it on the ground around the tires. He had no more problems so long as he reapplied whenever the car was moved.

Ellen
07-22-2018, 10:17 AM
We spray our engine compartment with an anti-rodent spray from Amazon, peppermint and other smells the little b*&#*@s hate. Rodents ate the wiring on our new Toyota Tundra to the tune of about $4000. Fortunately, all but $100 covered by comprehensive insurance.

kntrygal
07-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Packrats do this in my area, major PIA. If hoods aren't kept open, they will invade. I finally bought rid-a-rats > https://smile.amazon.com/Packrat-Rodent-Deterrent-Device-RC-2/dp/B00D2AQYI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532289670&sr=8-1&keywords=ridarat <for each vehicle. No noticeable battery drain and I haven't had a problem in 1-1/2 years.

CrazyCain
09-10-2018, 04:43 PM
Looks like they ate your carbuerator!

Years ago I went out & fired up the bbq, without opening it, & in a couple minutes it began to smoke & an awful stink, turned it off, opened the lid & found they'd packed full of grass, dog food, rags & all were smoldering, DW said "throw the whole thing away & go buy another one, I'm not eating anything that comes out of that one!!".
CrazyCain, what does "Sprekin" mean? I can imagine what you actually called it!

Slang for...errrrr, i think you know.. can't speak spell German, but Sprekin z deutch? Do you speak German
Tried every thing but the snake. Nothing has worked. I think they are Zombie Red Squirrels..4 more times after the first one..

😂

B-O-B'03
10-02-2018, 08:07 PM
I have this pellet gun (https://www.amazon.com/Winchester-1100SS-Break-Barrel-Air-Rifle/dp/B0002ILD9M), my son left it when he moved out.

I also use the Crosman Destroyer pellets with it, anywhere in my back yard is lethal for the bushy tailed tree rats, it will put a pellet right through them.

A family of them had chewed through the fascia of my house and setup above the guest bedroom... I waited for them to come out of the hole and popped them, one at a time.

The goal is to make them an endangered species :)

-Brian