PDA

View Full Version : New Bullet Premier - Auto Scan for TV?

Bontz
07-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Hey all ... newbie to the forum here, so I apologize for the dumb question(s). I tried to search on this topic, but not sure what to make of the results :confused: We just picked up a new Premier 29BHPR yesterday, and came from a Passport 2810BH. We're not new to these Keystone travel trailers, but I am puzzled on the new antenna and cable setup. Our Passport had the old crank up antenna that you manually turned in whatever direction for reception - along with the booster. This new Premier has the "disc" type antenna, also with the booster.

Today my wife and I were working on getting everything organized & set up, and I decided to see if I could get the TV going. Previously, I could pick up close to 30 channels with my Passport in my driveway. The new setup fails to log a single channel after going through the auto scan. The booster is on, as indicated by the green power light on it and the coax cable is all seated correctly. I haven't been up on the roof, but I don't know if I could do anything up there anyway as I have to assume everything is sealed up on the roof. Unfortunately, I don't see any easy way to ensure the coax is all connected (not even sure where I can begin to look). I'm kicking myself for taking it for granted that it would work, and not having the service guy go through it during our walk through :banghead:

Anyone able to offer some insight? I know it would be covered under warranty, but man I hate to haul it 50 miles for something simple.

Many thanks in advance!

chuckster57
07-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Unfortunately the omnidirectional antennas performance is affected by a number of things. Placement on the roof, obstacles between it and the transmission towers to mention two. Some are better than others, try it when you get to the campground and see if it does any better. As long as the booster is ON and the tv is set to ANTENNA when you scan, you should get something.

Bontz
07-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Unfortunately the omnidirectional antennas performance is affected by a number of things. Placement on the roof, obstacles between it and the transmission towers to mention two. Some are better than others, try it when you get to the campground and see if it does any better. As long as the booster is ON and the tv is set to ANTENNA when you scan, you should get something.

Thanks ... hopefully it's that simple. It just seems odd that I could pull down channels easily with the old crank up antenna, but getting nothing with this new one while sitting in my driveway. There really isn't much for obstructions so I'm a bit concerned something else is going on. I guess we'll see how it plays out next week when we're at the campground (where I was able to get 25'ish channels previously). Thanks again!

JRTJH
07-15-2018, 12:44 PM
Bontz,

The obstructions may not be trees, houses etc but may be the RV air conditioner, the refrigerator roof vent or even the slope of the RV roofline that block the "view" from the TV tower to the antenna. These "new fang-dangled" antennas are supposed to be better, but the first disadvantage is that they simply don't clear all of the obstacles on the RV roof. Once you get it positioned where there's a clear line of sight to the TV tower, then you can start comparing the "old type" and the "new type".... But, it's understandable that you may not get anything in your driveway if the house, the garage, the neighbor's house and your RV air conditioner are all "in the way of a clear signal"..... Hopefully you'll have better reception away from that area.

ron130fe
07-15-2018, 12:51 PM
My apologies but how do you start a new thread?

pikespeakviewer
07-15-2018, 01:13 PM
My apologies but how do you start a new thread?

Click "Keystone RV Forums" at the top of the page (should have "http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/images/krv/misc/navbits_finallink_ltr.gif (http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=296979) New Bullet Premier - Auto Scan for TV? " under it).

Then scroll down and pick which forum you want to post in (travel trailers, 5th wheels, etc...)

Next page should show "start thread" or something like that. I had a heck of a time finding how to start one yesterday!

Hankintu
07-21-2018, 05:17 AM
While it is not likely, it may be the tv in the unit. I had the same problem with the Contex tv that came with the trailer but only on "cable auto-scan". It would not pick up anything with the cable from the house although a similar Vizio would, once it was connected to the trailers cable line. I could pick up around 10 stations on "antenna auto-scan" with the booster on. My cable from the house was connected to the jack at the rear of the trailer and the booster switch off for the cable scan and on for the antenna scan. Ended up taking the Contex out and put the Vizio in.

Bontz
07-22-2018, 02:02 PM
Update ...

First weekend is officially in the books, and the TV worked fine. I was both happy & relieved to see the scan picking up channels when we got to the campground on Friday.

Thanks for all the feedback!

shermris
08-09-2018, 06:57 PM
The typical disc antennas that come with many new Keystones are near useless. I live 23 miles from transmission towers but only get 3 1/2 channels with the installed antenna. I screwed in a very small after market antenna and got 14 clear trouble free channels. Unless I bring a supplementary antenna along I use the TV to watch DVD's or listen to the radio. One would think that as long as the factory installs an antenna they would try to provide one that would receive a transmission from a reasonable distance.

jeff57
08-10-2018, 04:26 AM
The typical disc antennas that come with many new Keystones are near useless. I live 23 miles from transmission towers but only get 3 1/2 channels with the installed antenna. I screwed in a very small after market antenna and got 14 clear trouble free channels. Unless I bring a supplementary antenna along I use the TV to watch DVD's or listen to the radio. One would think that as long as the factory installs an antenna they would try to provide one that would receive a transmission from a reasonable distance.

Shermis,
What small after market antenna did you use?

Thanks!