PDA

View Full Version : Dish TV Question

grey ghost
07-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Presently have an old dish system with a 723 DVR and a 211K for a small tv upstairs. The upstairs 211k we just unplug and take it along when we go camping. Plug in the playmaker to the 211k and wal la we have tv. Thinking about getting the new equipment which allows for more taping and taping while you watch. Their would be a Hopper and a Joey downstair on the two tv's there and one wally on the tv upstairs. Is anyone presently taking their Wally with them when the go camping and does it work or do you have to purchase a seperate wally for the camper. I've heard both ways. Any help

MattE303
07-12-2018, 02:27 PM
You can take the Wally with you when camping and use it at home the rest of the time, that's exactly what we do. In the camper we use a Winegard Pathway X2 portable dish, at home the Wally is connected to a regular pole mounted dish (a 1000 series I think).

bill-e
07-12-2018, 04:17 PM
The Wallys are not compatible with the Hybrid LNBs used for the Hopper3.

You can't hook it up to the same Dish as the Hopper 3.

You would need a Separate dish with a DPP EA2 LNB

Why not get an H3 and Joey's for home and continue to use your 211K as a #7/month tailgater option. You can also add a cheap hard disk to the 211k and turn it into a DVR. There is a one time setup charge for this but I talked them out of charging me.

Or, if you own the current dish on your roof, keep that for the wally and have them install a separate dish for the H3 and Joeys.

grey ghost
07-13-2018, 09:07 AM
The Wallys are not compatible with the Hybrid LNBs used for the Hopper3.

You can't hook it up to the same Dish as the Hopper 3.

You would need a Separate dish with a DPP EA2 LNB

Why not get an H3 and Joey's for home and continue to use your 211K as a #7/month tailgater option. You can also add a cheap hard disk to the 211k and turn it into a DVR. There is a one time setup charge for this but I talked them out of charging me.

Or, if you own the current dish on your roof, keep that for the wally and have them install a separate dish for the H3 and Joeys.

They told me my 211K will no longer work and that I needed the Wally, but I could move from house to camper and camper to house with NO problem.

bill-e
07-13-2018, 10:57 AM
grey ghost.

I just chatted with Dish, here's the transcript.

Camille_OPID_7WB (18:48:51 GMT) : Hello Bill. Good afternoon.

bill esposito (18:49:03 GMT) : hi

Camille_OPID_7WB (18:49:09 GMT) : I will be more than happy to help you out with your concern about your equipment.

Camille_OPID_7WB (18:50:15 GMT) : Hopper can't be used together with Wally.

Camille_OPID_7WB (18:50:36 GMT) : However you can both have them on your account if its for an outdoor use.

bill esposito (18:51:20 GMT) : Thanks, that's what I thought. This question is for a friend. He called Dish and they said he could use them...I didn't think so

Camille_OPID_7WB (18:52:08 GMT) : Since the Wally works like regular receiver it can't be use with the Hopper.

Barseven
07-14-2018, 08:43 AM
We have a Wally just for the trailer. To record on it you have to hook an external hard drive to the USB. Works great. The only issue is we have two tvs in the trailer, one in the main living area and one in the bedroom. If you want DISH in both, probably have to have two Wallys. What we usually do is hook up the park provided cable for the bedroom and the DISH tailgater to the living area TV. Since we have DISH at home, it's only $7 more for the tailgater service.

bill-e
07-14-2018, 08:55 AM
Barseven roger that. grey ghost's question was whether he could use the Wally in his house in conjunction with the new Hopper 3. The answer to that is no.

But if he can keep is old dish antenna on the house, in addition to the new antenna for the Hopper 3, then he could, if he tells them the Dish Wally is for RV use, he could pay the $7/month for the Wally and bring it between the house and the RV. Cost wise it's a wash between having either another Joey or the Wally, but he would save the $7 a month when he uses it for the RV...if that makes any sense to you.

grey ghost, personally I would have all my house TV's on the Hopper 3/Joeys so that each TV could share recordings and take advantage of the 16 tuners and keep your 211k for RV use.....the Hopper 3 is a great device.

Barseven
07-14-2018, 09:04 AM
Probably read it too quickly. We have the same set up in our house as well. Hopper 3 and Joeys. We love the expanded capabilities of the Hopper 3.

MattE303
07-16-2018, 08:58 AM
We have a Wally just for the trailer. To record on it you have to hook an external hard drive to the USB. Works great. The only issue is we have two tvs in the trailer, one in the main living area and one in the bedroom. If you want DISH in both, probably have to have two Wallys. What we usually do is hook up the park provided cable for the bedroom and the DISH tailgater to the living area TV. Since we have DISH at home, it's only $7 more for the tailgater service.

Depends on whether you actually need to watch different programming on both tv's simultaneously. We don't are about that, just want to be able to see the DISH programming on either TV. For that situation, a single Wally will suffice, just run HDMI cables to both tv's.

RoscoeV
07-16-2018, 09:59 AM
Barseven roger that. grey ghost's question was whether he could use the Wally in his house in conjunction with the new Hopper 3. The answer to that is no.

But if he can keep is old dish antenna on the house, in addition to the new antenna for the Hopper 3, then he could, if he tells them the Dish Wally is for RV use, he could pay the $7/month for the Wally and bring it between the house and the RV. Cost wise it's a wash between having either another Joey or the Wally, but he would save the $7 a month when he uses it for the RV...if that makes any sense to you.

grey ghost, personally I would have all my house TV's on the Hopper 3/Joeys so that each TV could share recordings and take advantage of the 16 tuners and keep your 211k for RV use.....the Hopper 3 is a great device.

The other option is to put the Tailgater on his deck or patio and run a cable connector to the room he wants the Wally. Of course that's providing he has a non-obstructed view of the Sats.

kcamp99186
07-21-2018, 04:16 AM
We have a Hopper and 2 Joey's at our home. Also have a ViP 211z reciever that we take with us when camping. This 211 unit also works in our home as another reciever. Though they did have to run a separate wire to the satellite dish to make it work.

bill-e
07-21-2018, 02:37 PM
We have a Hopper and 2 Joey's at our home. Also have a ViP 211z reciever that we take with us when camping. This 211 unit also works in our home as another reciever. Though they did have to run a separate wire to the satellite dish to make it work.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but you have a Hopper 3 or a Hopper. It is my understanding that when you connect the Hopper 3 to the Hybrid LNB that extra port becomes blocked so that you cannot connect another receiver......Unless something has changed, I'd be interested to know.