PDA

View Full Version : Performance chip

Pete B
07-10-2018, 04:18 AM
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.7 liter hemi with 110,000 miles pulling a 2018 hideout 26 rls. While driving on relative flat land I cannot use cruise without transmission kicking out of overdrive constantly. I know I should turn overdrive off but then I am burning lots of gas. Will a performance chip help me out?

flybouy
07-10-2018, 04:36 AM
You have a choice of what you want to burn, gas or the transmission, especially with a high mileage tranny. Performance tuner may help with the tranny searching for a gear but it will add more stress to the transmission. On a gasser I wouldn't advise it.

Javi
07-10-2018, 04:46 AM
Not for long before you melt the tranny...

Badbart56
07-10-2018, 07:03 AM
Performance chips can do more harm than good. Often when you deviate from the parameters that the manufacturers engineers have set, weaknesses are realized. You can buy a lot of gas for what a transmission would cost.

JRTJH
07-10-2018, 08:14 AM
Performance chips can do more harm than good. Often when you deviate from the parameters that the manufacturers engineers have set, weaknesses are realized. You can buy a lot of gas for what a transmission would cost.

And use the money you would have spent for that performance chip to pay for a good transmission checkup/service/oil and filter change......

Old Mustanger
07-10-2018, 08:50 AM
I had installed an SCT towing tune in the F250, didn't seem to help as much as advertised (imagine that) and on the first long trip, coming back home thru Tennessee it would not allow the exhaust filter to clean. After getting a warning that the truck was going to shut down (forget how many miles it gave until shut down), I pulled into a rest area and reinstalled the stock tune. Exhaust filter cleaning commenced immediately after after start up and commenced for about 45 miles.
FOR SALE: SCT X4 tuner! (not really, I do still use it to read error codes).

So my opinion now is don't mess with the factory tunes for towing.

JRTJH
07-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Old Mustanger,

Valuable lesson learned !!! As much competition as there is between GM, Ford and RAM to have the "best tow ratings/best load ratings" you can almost guarantee that they have run the numbers against the failure data and "tweeked" every ounce of power, every pound of payload and every inch of MPG from their ratings and still kept reliability at the best it can be. Adding a $350 "chip" to circumvent all of the research any of the manufacturers has put into a $75,000 vehicle just seems, to me at least, a good way to push the reliability past where the manufacturer knows "is the best setting for performance vs reliability"....

Just like the auto manufacturers "push the ratings to the limit" you can be sure that the "chip makers" boast their product to the limit as well. Biggest difference, that I can see, is that the auto manufacturer has to pay to fix what breaks, so they have a vested interest in keeping the vehicle on the road while the "chip maker" can always blame the owner, the manufacturer or the gas you were using....... YMMV :whistling:

sourdough
07-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Some thoughts;

If you have been towing for 110k miles and left OD on you will be buying a tranny soon. The difference in mileage is negligible to say the least, especially when taking into account of the damage you are doing to the tranny.

A performance chip is useless IMO; I am talking about a chip, not a tuner. I installed one on a 2003? 5.7L along with a cold air intake and catback exhaust to improve towing performance with a 5k lb. boat. Useless. Any performance increase was imperceptible but the noise increase was dramatic. Out came the chip and cold air intake - still in my attic.

Old Mustanger
07-10-2018, 11:28 AM
Some thoughts;

If you have been towing for 110k miles and left OD on you will be buying a tranny soon. The difference in mileage is negligible to say the least, especially when taking into account of the damage you are doing to the tranny.

not meaning to hi-jack the thread but since I got the F250 I've been using cruise control in tow/haul mode with both OD's on (5 & 6). I have not noticed any hunting and if anything sometimes I think it stays in a lower gear longer than necessary. Previous TV manuals all indicated not to use cruise control while towing but the manual for this truck does not say yea or nae to it. Opinions? Am I hurting the transmission?

Javi
07-10-2018, 11:32 AM
not meaning to hi-jack the thread but since I got the F250 I've been using cruise control in tow/haul mode with both OD's on (5 & 6). I have not noticed any hunting and if anything sometimes I think it stays in a lower gear longer than necessary. Previous TV manuals all indicated not to use cruise control while towing but the manual for this truck does not say yea or nae to it. Opinions? Am I hurting the transmission?

If you are using the tow/haul mode... nope... well unless it goes to hunting an pecking for a gear on slight grades.. I know my F350 diesel and looking even with my trailer hooked up..

If it goes to hunting, just kick the cruise off and old school it with a little right foot...

flybouy
07-10-2018, 02:13 PM

Much of whether or not the transmission will hunt for gears is dependent upon many variables including final gear ratio, engine torque, air temps, etc. The damage is done when the transmission is constantly down shifting and upshifting as that causes excess friction on the clutches and builds heat that breaks down the transmission fluid and damages the fibers and metals of the clutches. Enough heat and the oil will "varnish" causing valves to stick and reducing the lubricating qualities even further. One of the big pluses of using the diesel engine for towing is that they deliver very high torque and horse power numbers at much lower RPMs than gas fueled engines.

Pull Toy
07-10-2018, 02:25 PM
As already mentioned, the chip is more expensive than the extra tanks full that you may burn. AND for what it's worth (CA-CHING $$$)! A buddy of mine is the Service Manager at the Local (Large) Ford dealership.

Not only is a chip an expensive bad idea... unless you're racing your truck, it will void any and all warranty (Ford factory diag's will detect any placing of a chip, and keep it in memory)... and it may be illegal for emissions testing in the lower 48!

No thanks, I'll settle for 16.9 bobtailing, and 11.7+/- haulin' the trailer with my 2016, 6.7.

Good Luck,

p.s. Take it out of Overdrive when pullin'. The fuel's cheaper than the wear and tear on your drive train. If you have "Tow Haul" or equivalent... it's there for a reason, use it.

Badbart56
07-10-2018, 03:08 PM
The Ford's with the 6.7 and the 6 speed transmission don't drive anything like the older model trucks, especially the gassers. My old '97 7.3 could get the job done but if you put it in tow/haul it comes out of overdrive. The 6.7 uses all gears and overdrive. Mine seldom shifts down and still holds 70 mph with the cruise control on unless it's a moderate hill. I can actually accelerate on the hills in 6th gear, Whereas the old 7.3 would be doing good to hold 55 mph on the same hill in 3rd gear. No comparison in my opinion. That's just how advanced these towing machines are. I'm sure the newer Ram's and Chevys are equally capable. Not knocking the gas trucks, it's just apples and oranges. I loved my old 7.3, but I am truly glad I moved up to the 6.7.

Pull Toy
07-10-2018, 03:23 PM
+1 for BADBART ^^^!!!!

The 6.0 to 6.7 up grade is like going from a mule to a Kentucky Derby Ride! And talk about quiet... I don't even shut 'er off at the drive-thru any more!

Good Luck,

Wmeili
07-10-2018, 06:34 PM
Our f 350’with the diesel has no problem pulling out Alpine 3500 rl. Most hills stays in 6 gear. Wouldn’t see any need to chip this motor. As for the dodge technology has changed I pulled with a 460 Ford with overdrive years ago every hill I would pull it out of overdrive and watch my rpm you can toast a older trans quickly trying to pull in overdrive. As for a performance upgrade I wouldn’t bother with a chip on a gas motor

travelin texans
07-10-2018, 08:04 PM
The greatest benefit to adding performance enhancements to any of today's engines is to the companies selling the enhancements. If you lived long enough & kept that truck that long you MIGHT recoup your investment.

larry337
07-11-2018, 12:14 AM
not meaning to hi-jack the thread but since I got the F250 I've been using cruise control in tow/haul mode with both OD's on (5 & 6). I have not noticed any hunting and if anything sometimes I think it stays in a lower gear longer than necessary. Previous TV manuals all indicated not to use cruise control while towing but the manual for this truck does not say yea or nae to it. Opinions? Am I hurting the transmission?You're fine. Ford transmissions are designed to tow in overdrive. Gas or diesel. If the transmission were hunting or downshifting too much then you could manually lock out 6th Gear. But you shouldn't have to do any more than that. And by the way fifth gear is also Overdrive.

tgpilot
07-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Back in about 06 or 07 I put a Super Chip in my ford F-350. I was an RV hauler in those days. Left Texas for Colorado, I was fighting big head winds and going up hill. That chip really made the difference. Pulled like a champ, but in the end. I paid a big price. Burned up the tranny and lost a lot of time. Had a new one ut in and soon burned it up. Traded for a Dodge and NO more chips. I really learned the hard way.

bob91yj
07-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Apples/oranges as my experience is with GM DuraMax engines...EVERY blown headgasket I've seen on a DMax (14 years as a service adviser) was on a "chipped/tuner" equipped engine. as others have stated OEM's spend millions of $$$ on R&D to make their products reliable.

Hansel
07-18-2018, 07:38 PM
I can't tell you much about Dodge tuning, but you need too find a company that specializes in tuning Dodge's, the standard cookie cutter tuner's aren't what you need. Like me, I drive 2 7.3L's and have tuning done by PHP's Hydra chip. This give's me more horsepower for towing, and I monitor vital engine function's with gauges, a lot of guy's say chips are worthless, I disagree. If you know who to talk too and tune you're truck you can safely add power for towing. But like I said you need too find someone that deal's with custom tuning for Dodge's.

notanlines
07-19-2018, 02:51 AM
Hansel, read this clip from your post: "You can safely add power for towing." Common sense will tell you that if it could be done SAFELY then the big three would pick up on this. I respectfully disagree with what you said. I just don't believe that a driver should put their large investment at risk for a little torque or a touch of horsepower.

travelin texans
07-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Not worthless, on the contrary they are quite pricey & for the gain of a few hp & couple ftlbs of torque my Dmax has plenty of both for me.
My son had a 6.0 Ford that didn't need a chip/tuner to blow head gaskets, just turn the key.

Hansel
07-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Hansel, read this clip from your post: "You can safely add power for towing." Common sense will tell you that if it could be done SAFELY then the big three would pick up on this. I respectfully disagree with what you said. I just don't believe that a driver should put their large investment at risk for a little torque or a touch of horsepower.

Well we will just have too disagree then, I personally know Bill that has been programming diesel trucks back when he worked for SuperChip's. The manufactures tune these vehicle's for longevity and reliability, and refining the tuning for some more HP can be done safely. I have 2 7.3L that have chip's and tuning and have NOT had any problems associated with such tuning. I don't do anything stupid with my truck's, I take very good care of maintenance. I've only dealt with my 7.3L, but as far as a newer diesel I wouldn't be looking for a chip they have enough power, maybe that's where I missed the actual question.

Javi
07-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Actually the OP was asking about chipping a gas motor... which is a complete waste of money..

JRTJH
07-19-2018, 12:27 PM
Hansel,

The thread is about chipping a Dodge 5.7L hemi (gas) engine. Comparing chips for diesel engines to what he needs is just not relevant to his engine.

Hansel
07-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Well my mistake, just trying too help. Won't happen again 🤐🤐🤐

SC Dreamer
07-19-2018, 03:53 PM

Actually, I believe that big government is the reason for stock tunes. EPA regs and exhaust emissions. With that said, some tuners go too far and can cause serious if not fatal issues. There are some that actually can make safe power increases. JMHO

sourdough
07-19-2018, 04:14 PM
Actually, I believe that big government is the reason for stock tunes. EPA regs and exhaust emissions. With that said, some tuners go too far and can cause serious if not fatal issues. There are some that actually can make safe power increases. JMHO

You are probably correct to some degree, but remember, "big government", EPA and exhaust emissions are law. That requires the manufacturer to build/tune a vehicle to meet them and you/us to follow/meet them as well....in theory. Some do, some don't. YMMV

Ken / Claudia
07-19-2018, 06:37 PM
In my listed 01, f350 I used the Superchip and blew up, yes really blew up the ford transmission. I had low gear, park and reverse gears after it shifted into 2nd from a stop sign and blew. The whole truck felt like it jumped off the ground. That chip cost me about 3,000 bucks. I got about 5 months and maybe 4,000 miles out of that wonderful chip.