PDA

View Full Version : Rear facing camera recording

packrat1969
07-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Hi,
I’m new to the forums and wanted to see if anyone is using a rear-facing camera setup on their rig that can be both recorded and viewed in the tow vehicle. What equipment are you using (camera/recorder/monitor)? Wired or wireless link to tow vehicle? Power source in camper (running light circuit or house battery, or something else)?

packrat

Salty25
07-12-2018, 08:16 PM
I found this video for a DIY backup camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UIG-31UCFU&t=316s

I have it and it's ready to install just have to figure out a power source for the 12VDC at the rear of my trailer. They have the camera and transmitter on Amazon but I got mine from Walmart online for less.

Edit:
The app does allow for recording or just viewing.

packrat1969
07-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't you know it? I saw that same video some months ago during one of my first bouts of research on some kind of rearview camera. I like the universality of the WiFi connection/components, however I want something with a higher-resolution image. In June of last year, as part of my preparations for a trip to Yellowstone by way of the Hills, I purchased a dash cam for my tow vehicle. The model I chose records 1080p video at 60 frames per second.

The camera has come in handy in helping to identify a hit and run vehicle during an accident investigation, and I don't think the image would have been as legible if the resolution/framerate had been any lower. For this reason (and others) I have been trying to find a camera and a recorder unit with similar specs, but so far no luck. Even a high-res dash cam with a video-out option would be in the right direction. My current TT has a nice rear-facing window, so I could probably stick it to the glass..

packrat

Northofu1
07-17-2018, 07:21 AM
I would just mount a dashcam to the back window. Buy the same as what you have, finding power inside the trailer is easy. The camera stays dry, memory is as big as the chip you install. :)

notanlines
07-17-2018, 10:35 AM
Northofu, "I would just mount a dashcam to the back window" All well and good until we come to the part about "both recorded and viewed in the tow vehicle."

Salty25
07-17-2018, 04:34 PM
I didn't think the resolution was bad. I put power to it when I first got it and the pic looked pretty good to me. But guess that doesn't mean it is up to speed you are looking for.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1018&pictureid=5663

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1018&pictureid=5664

Here is how I mounted it in the window. That way I can remove it when parked and put it in a cabinet.

Range goes to the cab of my truck just fine.

Northofu1
07-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Northofu, "I would just mount a dashcam to the back window" All well and good until we come to the part about "both recorded and viewed in the tow vehicle."

I hate previews,,, lol
I didn't think about that.
Back to the drawing board

Salty25
07-17-2018, 07:59 PM
I went out and did a short video to see what the resolution was like. When I first got the setup I played with it in the house to see how it worked and things looked good.

After playing with it inside the trailer I see that the resolution is low. But I'm not trying to ID a murder suspect at 40 yds. For backing into a stall and to make sure you don't run over the wife; wait is that really bad? Of course it is.

The resolution isn't great but it works for what I am looking for. I hope you find something that does what you need.

Please post to let us know what you wind up with.

Northofu1
07-18-2018, 03:28 AM
What I can tell you is that I have a Rear view Safety wired system and the camera is awesome. They have every type of system that someone would want for an RV /Truck camera system.
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backup-camera/rv-backup-camera-systems.html

Visit the website, it's not cheap but it's bullet proof. Two municipalities I work for use them on certain pieces of parks equipment.
Thanks NOtanlines for pushing me to look before I leap :P

notanlines
07-18-2018, 05:29 AM
Actually, I think they have a huge selection and prices are pretty much in line. I just can’t seem to get a good feel that these are going to work without some signal booster.

Salty25
07-19-2018, 03:27 PM
Have you looked at the Akaso cameras? They are on Amazon for under $100. They are similar to GoPro so they record and can interface via Wi-Fi; but not sure of the range of the signal.

poelma
09-05-2018, 01:06 PM
I mounted a wireless Haloview Monitor that records ( haven't recorded yet), having the rear camera is great on the road and also for backing into camping sites. I mounted the wireless camera part very high on the back of the trailer above the rear marker lights. I drilled a hole for the power wire w/grommet and two small holes for the mounting bracket. I was able to use stainless bolts and nuts for the bracket and used a bent box end wrench to hold nuts thought the larger wire hole with grommet. I tapped into the marker light power to power the camera. Now when the marker lights are on the camera is powered and transmits to the cab. The Haloview system works great so far - used it for 3 trips. (Haloview MC7101 Digital Wireless Backup Camera System Kit 7'' LCD Reversing Monitor and IP69K Waterproof Rear View Camera Built in DVR For Truck/Trailer/Bus/RV/Pickups/Camper/Van/Farm Machine Car) Hope this helps.

packrat1969
09-06-2018, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the reply poelma. I’ll look into the system you described. Any other information like where you purchased it or other parts necessary would be welcome.

packrat

poelma
09-06-2018, 08:48 AM
I ordered the system from Amazon - search the info in my message on Haloview MC7101. It came as a complete package. When power is applied it syncs instantly to the camera. I also have a 2016 FX4 - the camera mount sits perfectly in the square tray on top of dash. No need to mount.
Poelma

AbHDToyHauler
09-06-2018, 09:34 AM
What I can tell you is that I have a Rear view Safety wired system and the camera is awesome. They have every type of system that someone would want for an RV /Truck camera system.
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backup-camera/rv-backup-camera-systems.html

Visit the website, it's not cheap but it's bullet proof. Two municipalities I work for use them on certain pieces of parks equipment.
Thanks NOtanlines for pushing me to look before I leap :P

I bought this same wired one from Costco in Canada after I first tried Wireless version. Wireless worked for a awhile but would cut out at highway speeds as they used compression techniques that were overwhelmed with the road lines and stuff flying by. The wired version mentioned above works great now and came with everything needed to make it work. It also is capable of extra channels so I made up a quick camera for backing up to my hitch too . Works perfect.