PDA

View Full Version : Nose up vs Nose down

Booch
07-09-2018, 07:34 AM
When I picked up my new Passport 2810bh from the dealer the nose was up about 1.5". But surprisingly, the ride was really smooth compared to my old 24' that was slightly nose down.

I played with the height (by moving the head up/down the shank) when installing my new Equalizer hitch, and the same happened. 1/2" nose down, the ride was rougher than 1" nose up. I couldn't get perfectly level.

I've heard several times slightly nose down is better, but on both my campers (with spread / load equalization axles), slightly nose up is more comfortable.

I've got no complaints about my towing experience at this point, just curious what's going on? Is it less of a nose thing, and more of a weight distribution thing?

Retired Copper
07-09-2018, 07:55 AM
When you hooked it up with nose 1/2 down what was your front fender measurement before and after? I am no engineer and not an expert by any means but just thinking out load; with the trailer setting nose high aren`t you forcing more weight to the rear?

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
07-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Nose up is better as you are getting the weight on the tail of the TV and not putting the weight to the front axle of the trailer. As you add weight to the back of the TV or to the trailer then coming out level is easier then pulling it apart to adjust for load when you start out nose down.

As you already have notice the difference between the two positions you have about answered your own question. I always do try to get it as level as I can loaded and if not slightly nose up is always better. I have seen some very nose down trailers and they do not look like they tow very well at all especially over concert seems or bridge approaches.