PDA

View Full Version : Tires on used trailer

macminn18
07-08-2018, 05:06 PM
We bought a used 2011 Passport Ultralight last summer. Really like it so far. The last few years I guess it sat on a farm not moving much. They did have wheel covers on the tires.
There's a lot of tread left on them, but rather be safe than sorry. Forgot to ask how old the tires are, but if I'm reading it right, they were manufactured in 2010.
Does that seem to be the case for these, am I looking at the right number? Also, if so, guessing I should just replace them.

Bolo4u
07-08-2018, 05:35 PM
We bought a used 2011 Passport Ultralight last summer. Really like it so far. The last few years I guess it sat on a farm not moving much. They did have wheel covers on the tires.

There's a lot of tread left on them, but rather be safe than sorry. Forgot to ask how old the tires are, but if I'm reading it right, they were manufactured in 2010.

Does that seem to be the case for these, am I looking at the right number? Also, if so, guessing I should just replace them.

Yes, it looks like the 27th week (July 5-11) of 2010.

Definitely time to replace them. If you wait much longer, you might get a delayed 4th of July surprise to celebrate their birthday.

sourdough
07-08-2018, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't drive the trailer across a parking lot with those tires. You are asking for big trouble if you don't pull them off and replace with reputable tires.

Gegrad
07-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Yeah, you're looking at 8 year old tires. Not a good idea to even drive those to your choice of tire center. If you absolutely HAVE to, drive it slow (<35 mph) and completely empty to the tire center for the replacements.

flybouy
07-09-2018, 04:44 AM
I would not tow with new "Blow Max" tires, much less ones that are that old.

notanlines
07-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Mac, I'd like to tell you that the warnings above ^^^^are a little harsh, but I'm afraid they are exactly correct. I would pay particular attention to the warning about towing it to the dealer.

Plumbtrician
07-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Would you be able to remove wheels, and just take them to your tire shop for replacement?

macminn18
07-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Thanks all for the advice. It won't be going anywhere without new tires. Now to do some research on trailer tire brands. I'm a little partial to Discount Tire, as they've bailed me out of some sticky situations.

Bolo4u
07-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Thanks all for the advice. It won't be going anywhere without new tires. Now to do some research on trailer tire brands. I'm a little partial to Discount Tire, as they've bailed me out of some sticky situations.

Many here like Carlisle brand tires

sourdough
07-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Looks like you have a pretty light trailer. I really like DT and use them most of time. For your size trailer, IMO, I would go for the Carlisle Radial HDs. They will be plenty strong for the trailer (make sure the LR is plenty heavy for your trailer weight).

macminn18
07-10-2018, 08:41 AM
Sourdough, thanks for the reply. What is the LR?

macminn18
07-10-2018, 08:42 AM
LOAD RATING I bet!!!

slow
07-10-2018, 09:35 AM
LOAD RATING I bet!!!

Here you go: https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/our-products/product-detail/radial-trail-hd

bellsharbor
07-19-2018, 10:22 AM
MAXXIS from Discount Tire. Order fresh and have balanced.

larryflew
07-19-2018, 12:03 PM
If it sat that long have them repack your bearings when you have the tires done. Probably overdue anyway.

James p
07-19-2018, 03:46 PM
8 yrs. old, change them out.
I have had serious tire problems years ago, they have my attention

KCSA75
07-20-2018, 03:44 PM

We're in pretty much the same boat. We purchased a 2008 Cougar travel trailer last fall. Tires are dated 2012. I haven't been too worried about it since the distance from the storage shed to the campground where we camp 90 percent of the time is about 10 miles.

But we're going to take it to Colorado in a couple weeks and I'm not willing to take that risk. I've been looking at websites with tire reviews and prices until my eyes are crossed.

Based on a lot of good reviews, today I went to Discount Tire to price out LR "E" Carlisle Radial Trail HDs and new wheels. They knocked off about $40 per tire to match the price I got at the Walmart across the street with out batting an eye.

sourdough
07-20-2018, 04:07 PM
We're in pretty much the same boat. We purchased a 2008 Cougar travel trailer last fall. Tires are dated 2012. I haven't been too worried about it since the distance from the storage shed to the campground where we camp 90 percent of the time is about 10 miles.

But we're going to take it to Colorado in a couple weeks and I'm not willing to take that risk. I've been looking at websites with tire reviews and prices until my eyes are crossed.

Based on a lot of good reviews, today I went to Discount Tire to price out LR "E" Carlisle Radial Trail HDs and new wheels. They knocked off about $40 per tire to match the price I got at the Walmart across the street with out batting an eye.

You're doing a good thing. Trailer tires are weird things and nothing like a car tire - they can, and will, deceive you. I bought the Carlisle's and couldn't be happier. Have a safe and fun trip to CO. I always have a blast there.