PDA

View Full Version : 2 Black Holding Tanks??

jskipper30
07-02-2018, 04:13 PM
I have a 2017 Cougar 326RDS. On my control panel it shows four buttons Black 1, Black 2, Grey and Galley. The Black 1 shows 2/3 full and Black 2 shows empty I pulled the Black and Gray handles and emptied all my tanks but the Black 1 still reads 2/3 full. Is there another handle or am I missing something?

KeithInUpstateNY
07-02-2018, 04:26 PM
According to RVUSA your unit only has one black holding tank: https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2017-keystone-cougar-fifth-wheel-floorplan-326rds-tr28811

The panels are generic, the panel for my 2015 Bullet 220RBI had readings for two gray tanks, but actually only had one.

As has been noted in other threads the grey and black water tank gauges are notoriously inaccurate and the recommended fixes are many. There's a very long thread here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163251

sourdough
07-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Everything I'm seeing says you have a 38 gal. black tank (one). For this exercise, and future ones, do yourself a favor and get a clear elbow to go on your sewer exit so you can see what you are dealing with. Lots of times gray tank handles are hidden. Black tanks??

Sensors are notorious for erroneous readings....but on a non existent tank - why would there be sensors or a sensor reading at all??

Get the clear elbow, fill each of the locations one at a time; look at your indicators for grins and then pull your dump handle(s). When you pull the handle that drains what you filled label it if it's incorrect, also note your indicator reading to see if it is right or wrong. If you fill something that won't drain....look for the handle..."under there".

ctbruce
07-03-2018, 02:00 AM
1 toilet, 1 black tank.
2 toilets, 2 black tanks

Before this starts to sound like Dr. Seuess, hope this helps.

JimQ
07-03-2018, 02:51 AM
All good advise! And by the way, welcome to the forum!

travelin texans
07-03-2018, 07:29 AM
Regardless of how many sinks, showers or washing machines dump into a tank if any toilet dumps into it it's a "black" tank. If there's a toilet fore/aft there may be 2 black tanks but 1 of them may have a sink drain into it also.

notanlines
07-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Skipper, you only have one black tank and it is black tank #1. 38 gallons. Just as explained earlier, it is simply a standard panel that has a slot for another black tank should there be one.
One fish two fish, red fish blue fish....thank you Dr Seuss. Lord, next we'll have to read Green Eggs and Ham.
And Skipper, welcome to the forum!

Aina808
02-05-2023, 08:58 AM
Hello
I hope someone will read this older thread!
My Cougar 336BHS displays 2 black water tanks with one full and the other empty. From your posts and since I only have one toilet I guess the first indicator is false. Now why is there a valve, (smaller but same handle shape as the ones to empty the tanks) in the center of the rv? Center under the cabin. The handle is pushed like the ones for black and grey water tanks? I originally thought there might be two black water holding tanks and when one is full you switch to the other but ???

chuckster57
02-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

As stated earlier in this thread Keystone and others use a generic panel that fits different models and doesnt always use all the features. As a rule the larger 3" drains are for black tanks that allow solid waste to pass through. smaller drains are usually 1 1/2" as they only need to allow liquid to pass through.

Its possible that the drain your looking at is for a gray tank (galley) or the fresh tank.

sourdough
02-05-2023, 09:53 AM
Looking at the floorplan you have 1 black tank and 2 grey tanks. How many handles are you looking at total? You would have 1 for the black tank and 2 (different locations) for the 2 grey tanks I figure. The one in the middle should be the galley grey tank.

Here's a link to the trailer. Note the tank capacities, they are 38 gal. tanks; 2 grey and one black.

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2018-keystone-cougar-fifth-wheel-floorplan-336bhs-tr33501

Max23
02-05-2023, 09:55 AM
My new passport has 1 bkack and 1 Grey yet 2 switches for same. I think they're just standardizing the switch mounts to make it easier and cheaper.

NH_Bulldog
02-05-2023, 10:07 AM
I have a “universal” panel on mine; Fresh Water, Black 1, Black 2, Grey 1, Grey 2, Slide Room 1 & Slide Room 2. I have 1 Black, 1 Grey tank and 1 slide out. I just used a black Sharpie marker and cover the labels that are not used. Instead of looking at it as waste, I just figure I have spares in case the other switches fail

spicercars
02-06-2023, 04:40 AM
Welcome from northern MN.