PDA

View Full Version : moisture eliminator

CrazyCain
07-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Just got back checking on the Hideout at the storage lot..Wanted to make sure with all this humidity and HOT temps here in MI that things are well inside the trailer. No known problems "visible"_added a couple of these dollar store deals to help out the damp rid buckets already in there. A few frends have told me these things work great. Roof vent is open also..

:hide:
:popcorn:

JRTJH
07-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Those "dessicant containers" will collect moisture, but remember that they can not hold more water than the size of the container, so, if it's a 1 pint container, it can only hold 2 cups of water. Also keep in mind that moisture is "hygroscopic" which means that the water moves freely within the atmosphere. Sort of like wetting one end of a sponge. The other end will be wet within a few minutes. So, leaving a roof vent open and "collecting moisture in a tub" will hasten filling the tub as you attempt to dry the air coming through the roof vent..... Sort of like the sponge, you'll never stop the influx of water through the open vent..... The drier the air in the RV, the more water that will move though the open vent, into the RV, to equalize the humidity inside and out.....

CrazyCain
07-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Those "dessicant containers" will collect moisture, but remember that they can not hold more water than the size of the container, so, if it's a 1 pint container, it can only hold 2 cups of water. Also keep in mind that moisture is "hygroscopic" which means that the water moves freely within the atmosphere. Sort of like wetting one end of a sponge. The other end will be wet within a few minutes. So, leaving a roof vent open and "collecting moisture in a tub" will hasten filling the tub as you attempt to dry the air coming through the roof vent..... Sort of like the sponge, you'll never stop the influx of water through the open vent..... The drier the air in the RV, the more water that will move though the open vent, into the RV, to equalize the humidity inside and out.....

Yikes, so i should close the vent then/?

JRTJH
07-01-2018, 12:17 PM
I would.... or else I'd forget the dessicant packs...

If you're trying to keep mold out of a closet or cabinet, put the dessicant in that confined space. It'll help keep that small area dry. If you're trying to keep the entire RV dry, having an open window or vent is the about same as trying to heat your house with the front door open. No matter how high you turn up the thermostat, the furnace will never stop running....