PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Propane Tank

Old Mustanger
06-30-2018, 05:31 AM
In January while camping in single digit temps in MD I got a 3rd Propane tank so I could always have 2 hooked up while getting the 3rd filled (every day occurrence). Storing the extra tank in the garage and now that our temps are hitting triple digits I noticed the smell of propane in the garage. Seems that the tank is leaking from built up pressure when it gets hot, odor is not present in the mornings after overnight cool down. note that this tank was not used after its last filling. Is this normal? Would (safely) relieving some of the pressure stop this? :(

hankaye
06-30-2018, 05:46 AM
Old Mustanger, Howdy;

Yup, it was filled when cold and due to thermal expansion ... well you know the
rest.
In the first place you shouldn't be storing the cylinder indoors :facepalm: :hide:,

Yes you can hook it up to your propane grill and safely burn some off OUTDOORS,

hankaye

notanlines
06-30-2018, 05:47 AM
This tank is faulty. No amount of "pressure-relieving" nor anything else will cure this without tank repair being done. And the repair of the tank is for people who do that for a living.

Old Mustanger
06-30-2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks hankaye and notanlines. :bow:
I have removed the tank from the garage to outside.:hide: :facepalm:
I am wondering about where it was leaking from. The last fill was done at a campground where they used the screw on the side of the valve to determine when it was filled, loosened it and when they saw propane escaping they stopped the pump and tightened the screw. That seemed to be where the gas was leaking yesterday so I tightened it a little more and it stopped hissing at me, but I did smell propane again later, I think they may have messed up the threads or something.:confused:

hankaye
06-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Old Mustanger, Howdy;

Sounds like it's time to take it to your Propane Service place to have their Specially trained folks replace the valve unit or fix what ever may be the problem.

hankaye

Harleydodge
06-30-2018, 04:15 PM
I believe the tank was overfilled, from what you've explained.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and the safety valve is just doing it's job and relieving excess pressure.
The tank itself should NEVER be filled to more than 80% capacity.
This allows ample room for expansion.

If it were mine I would hook it up to my BBQ and bake myself a nice potato, and a rib-eye to go with it.
(assuming it's not "hissing at me")

That should cook off enough gas for now.
Next time you get it filled, have it done by weight at a proper facility by someone qualified and properly trained to do the job.
Definitely never store your full tank inside either. Ever.