PDA

View Full Version : Fuse (Assortment)

ljp
06-29-2018, 08:19 PM
What spare fuses would you place in a kit in the event a replacement is needed while traveling?

sourdough
06-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Look in the breaker/fuse panel....have spares for all of them. There are fuses in most of the control boards - I don't carry spares for them - yet. Inline fuses from the battery....fuses on the converter. Check them out and buy a handful. I'm sure others will chime in with specifics but I don't know them off the top of my head....I just have a "fuse box".

chuckster57
06-30-2018, 03:27 AM
I have a couple of boxes of assorted fuses. Most are 15A but there are some different ratings.

flybouy
06-30-2018, 03:46 AM
Don't forget the special E fuse. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33577&highlight=fuse

jsmith948
06-30-2018, 05:37 AM
And, if you have the Ground Control leveling system, you might want to take a couple of spare 35 amp maxi blade type fuses. BTW, these turned out to be rare like hen's teeth. No one in our town seemed to stock them - asked our local NAPA to order them and they didn't show in their catalog. The counter guy told me they didn't make maxi fuses in 35 amp. Wonder where LCI gets them? Ended up getting them from an outfit called Waytec online.

Smartin108
06-30-2018, 07:42 AM
You may have a pair of 40 amp fuses in the converter that are used to protect from reverse polarity at the battery.

Freeheel4life
06-30-2018, 07:45 AM
My electric tongue jack has a glass inline fuse as well. May be a one off type deal but being stuck without one is not fun.

ljp
06-30-2018, 04:52 PM
Checking Amazon found the following assortment of fuses for $9.99. Your thoughts?

"Blade Fuse Assortment Car Automotive Fuses Assortment Kit Auto Atc Ato Atm Standard Fuse Set 140pcs with Fuse Puller Tool for Rv, Truck, Vehicle, Boat - 2/3/5/7.5/10/15/20/25/30/35/40 Amp"

66joej
06-30-2018, 05:05 PM
Kind of overkill but a great deal for the money.

ljp
06-30-2018, 05:25 PM
I was also thinking there may be too many fuses, but not knowing much about electrical/fuses it appears I may have whatever fuse I may need. Looking at the photo in the Amazon site there is a small plastic box with 12 sections and a nice quantity of fuses in each section.

Almost got stuck in St. Louis earlier this year as we had a problem with a fuse and didn't have a replacement. Fortunately, assisted by another camper who isolated our problem which was then resolved.

66joej
06-30-2018, 05:56 PM
I was also thinking there may be too many fuses, but not knowing much about electrical/fuses it appears I may have whatever fuse I may need. Looking at the photo in the Amazon site there is a small plastic box with 12 sections and a nice quantity of fuses in each section.

Almost got stuck in St. Louis earlier this year as we had a problem with a fuse and didn't have a replacement. Fortunately, assisted by another camper who isolated our problem which was then resolved.

If you have room to carry them you may be able to help another RVer down the road.

sourdough
06-30-2018, 06:59 PM
The deal is, to me, the more the better. I don't want to be stuck on the side of the road somewhere, or in a park, 15 miles from a place I have no idea about looking for a "fuse" - if anyone even sells them. They cost little to nothing and having the "box" full of every kind of fuse you can think of is only smart...and as was mentioned, you may be able to help someone....as I've been helped.

flybouy
07-01-2018, 05:10 AM
My theory is lots of variety is best, you don't need ten fuses of any capacity. If you blow a fuse, replace it and it blows again than you have a problem that no amount of fuses will fix. Look around and note the type and rating of each fuse and keep at least 2 of each so if you replace and it immediately blows you have a replacement after correcting the issue.

JRTJH
07-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Harbor Freight has a 60 piece fuse assortment for $7.49. https://www.harborfreight.com/standard-blade-fuse-assortment-60-pc-63310.html They also have a "mini fuse" assortment (which is the photo below) for the same price (fits newer automobiles). With the usual Parade Magazine 20% coupon, that makes the fuses $6 plus tax.

There are "more than enough" 5A, 10A, 15A, 20A and 30A fuses for most campers. Comes in a plastic container so they're always "handy when needed". Ours is in the bottom drawer, right next to the trailer power center. NOTE: There are no fuses that fit the Reverse Polarity circuit, so you'll need to buy them separately. Except for the two glass cartridge fuses in the rear refrigerator control board and possibly one glass fuse in the trailer tongue jack, this packet "should" cover all your fuse needs.

BamaRam
07-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Don't forget the special E fuse. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33577&highlight=fuse

Yeah you'll never find one of those at a parts store! :lol: