PDA

View Full Version : Loss of battery running the 12volt circuits with out the generator on.

Mjc1957
06-27-2018, 07:56 PM
While hooking up the batteries, after charging them to a full charge, I accidentally touched the ground wire to the positive post creating a spark. I started the generator extended the slides all good.
After turning off the generator none of the 12v systems would turn on and only work with the generator on. Any ideas what to look at? Thanks!

sourdough
06-27-2018, 08:02 PM
You blew the inline fuses from the batteries.

notanlines
06-28-2018, 03:09 AM
Most converters have two auto style fuses to protect against this. Look on the end of the unit in a holder attached almost flush with the unit or at the end of the converter itself. Both fuses can blow.

JRTJH
06-28-2018, 06:03 AM
Depending on the converter type that is in your trailer, I'd suspect the reverse polarity fuses have been blown. Here are a couple of examples of where they may be located. The reverse polarity fuses are the two red fuses located either to the left of the 12 VDC fuse panel on combined units or to the left of the power input on "free standing" converters. Good Luck.

ctbruce
06-29-2018, 06:45 AM
Let us know what worked when you are up and running again. This helps those helping know if they are on the right track and others needing help find help easier.

Trailriderjoe
07-04-2018, 01:31 PM
I agree with Sourdough
If you had blown the fuses at the converter you would not have DC power to run the slides with the generator or while on shore power.

You feed the distribution panel two ways when it comes to DC (12v)
One way from the converter when running on shore power / genset
The other is from the battery.

In your case you are only seeing DC 12v supplied when you are getting it from the converter.

You will find that there is most likely a blown circuit breaker / fuse in line from the battery to the distribution panel.