PDA

View Full Version : 252RL: Terrible insulation!

Miles65
06-27-2018, 06:04 PM
My new 252RL is keeping me busy. I have found that the outer walls are terribly insulated. In 95F weather, the inside paneling gets very warm/hot to the touch. The cushions in the booth seating get hot. What the heck? Is there any insulation in these things? Has anyone in here opened the interior side of the exterior walls and added insulation? I insulated my old Prowler and it made a big difference. I kind of hate to think about opening the walls on a brand new unit, though. Again, anyone who has insulated a Keystone, please give me some input, here. Thanks!

chuckster57
06-27-2018, 06:20 PM
If your exterior walls are Filon, then you can’t “open up” the interior walls. The walls are sandwiched together with rigid styrofoam type material and it’s all “vacuum bonded”. Exterior color will play a big roll in how much the interior heats up. It’s not just Keystone that uses this type of construction, it is industry standard.

Best advise I can offer is try park to minimize exposure to the sun, early start with the AC and keep shades down in the heat of the day. I have used windshield foil shades on windows in direct sun and they have helped.

sourdough
06-27-2018, 06:25 PM
You're not going to get much insulation in a 2"? wall no matter what you do....that is the nature of a travel trailer...always has been. Exterior colors then play a huge role in how much heat is generated. You can mitigate the heat in many ways but trying to "deconstruct" a filon wall to add insulation is a bad idea.

Alpine
06-27-2018, 08:08 PM
To aid in cooling your RV.... use these vent covers on your floor vents. No sense in cooling your under the floor ducting. And If you have a cold air return to the furnace, may as well cover that too! It helps us!