PDA

View Full Version : Valterra Fridge Vent Fan

jdixon980
06-24-2018, 04:10 AM
I have decided to add this the top vent. Can someone post a picture of where I connect the wires to fridge? I sure don’t want to mess something up. Electrical is really not my thing! Lol

2018 Cougar 367FLS

chuckster57
06-24-2018, 04:33 AM
Take the lower access panel off. You will see a plastic connector block with wires attached to both sides. That will be the 12V supply to the fridge. You can connect to either side, white wire is negative, white with a colored stripe is positive.

jdixon980
06-24-2018, 04:41 AM
Take the lower access panel off. You will see a plastic connector block with wires attached to both sides. That will be the 12V supply to the fridge. You can connect to either side, white wire is negative, white with a colored stripe is positive.

Thanks chuckster57!

jdixon980
06-24-2018, 09:49 AM

Chuckster57,
Is this the box you were talking about? Where and how do I connect?1715017151

chuckster57
06-24-2018, 09:58 AM
Not the box, just to the left is the BLOCK. Loosen the flathead screw, insert bare end of fan wire and tighten.

When you do the positive (stripped) side, take care not to ground it out or you will blow a fuse in the fuse panel b

chuckster57
06-24-2018, 10:01 AM
It looks like this:

jdixon980
06-24-2018, 10:49 AM
It looks like this:

Thanks again chuckster57.

jdixon980
06-25-2018, 04:17 PM
Thanks again chuckster57.

Chuckster57,
Is this the block? My fan is to be delivered Wednesday. Will I hook red wire to green/white wire and black to white wire? Hate to sound stupid, but I just don’t want to mess something up. Would hate to fry a board or burn my fridge up. You mentioned about grounding out when connecting wires, if I disconnected the battery, would that prevent a blown fuse?17181

chuckster57
06-25-2018, 05:25 PM
If you look close there is a “+” and “-“ stamped on the fridge just behind the block. Red from fan to the “+” and black from fan to the “-“.

Disconnecting the battery will prevent any shorts as long as your unplugged from shore power too.

jdixon980
06-27-2018, 05:05 PM
If you look close there is a “+” and “-“ stamped on the fridge just behind the block. Red from fan to the “+” and black from fan to the “-“.

Disconnecting the battery will prevent any shorts as long as your unplugged from shore power too.

I installed fan tonight. Added 1 amp fuse. Will the fan run when you first cut fridge on and flip switch on? Mine did not tonight. I remember reading something about temp sensor and had to be over 100 degrees to trigger fan. May be why mine didn’t come on tonight. I was just wanting to make sure I had it hooked up right. If any of this don’t sound right, would you let me know.

Chuckster57 I would like to thank you for the help you have given me on this subject. Thanks for taking the time to help beginners like me to do things without taking it to someone.

chuckster57
06-27-2018, 06:34 PM
Your very welcome. Yes the temp sensor has to get to 100 degrees before the fan will turn on. Depending on where the sensor is, it may take hours before it is activated.

jdixon980
06-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Your very welcome. Yes the temp sensor has to get to 100 degrees before the fan will turn on. Depending on where the sensor is, it may take hours before it is activated.

One more thing Chuckster57. I went out and checked fridge this evening to see if fan was working. It was, thanks again. I did notice the two fans halfway up the back of fridge are not running. When do they run? If they should be running, what and where do I start to find out this problem.

chuckster57
06-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Those fans should have a “limit switch” that is attached to the end of the fins at the top of the cooling unit. You can test for voltage on each side. If you have power on one side and not the other and the fins are HOT, then the switch has failed. If you have voltage on each side then the fan(s) have failed. Limit switch failure is much more common.

jdixon980
06-29-2018, 03:41 AM
Those fans should have a “limit switch” that is attached to the end of the fins at the top of the cooling unit. You can test for voltage on each side. If you have power on one side and not the other and the fins are HOT, then the switch has failed. If you have voltage on each side then the fan(s) have failed. Limit switch failure is much more common.

Do you happen to have a picture of this limit switch? Is there one or two? How hard is it to replace? I was hoping maybe just a fuse.

chuckster57
06-29-2018, 04:10 AM
I don’t have a pic handy. Take off the upper access panel, and it should be on the left hand side held in place on the outside edge of the last fin. Stubby screwdriver and small hands work best, we have one tech that fits this description so he’s the designated changer. :D