PDA

View Full Version : Gas cap housing rusting.

hdrolling
06-21-2018, 04:45 AM
One of my Gas cap fuel neck housing is rusting pretty bad and it looks like crap.

Anyone replaced these with some type of housing that has a door to keep the water from settling in there?

I've debated if I should remove it and try to sand it down and then paint it maybe but since it's where the fuel goes in I don't know how well it would hold up?

Any leads on where to maybe get a replacement? Not sure the actual name of the part.

I'm asking about the outside housing that the fuel cap sit's in, hope i'm explaining it correctly.

chuckster57
06-21-2018, 04:57 AM
If you can take it off, you might consider powder coating it. There are formulas
That are fluid resistant.

hdrolling
06-21-2018, 10:26 AM
If you can take it off, you might consider powder coating it. There are formulas
That are fluid resistant.

Thanks that's a good idea, I might try to get both done even though only one is showing signs of rust.

The way they are made water collects in there no matter what was why I was wondering if anyone installed one with a door to keep the weather out.

AbHDToyHauler
06-21-2018, 11:53 AM
Both of mine looked nasty too. I removed (took 10 minutes to get both off) quick sanded and painted with Tremclad Flat black AntiRust. Put back on within an hour. Used new stainless screws and it looks great now. If it comes back , well i'ts an easy fix.

hdrolling
06-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Both of mine looked nasty too. I removed (took 10 minutes to get both off) quick sanded and painted with Tremclad Flat black AntiRust. Put back on within an hour. Used new stainless screws and it looks great now. If it comes back , well i'ts an easy fix.

That might be the quick fix so we can keep going on our trips this summer, and then this winter get them done a little more permanent.