PDA

View Full Version : Gen 3 Ram may be showing its age

BamaRam
06-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Couple of weeks ago I was pulling my camper back from Guntersville. I was almost home and made a left turn and the ABS light came on. After some research I found this is a common occurrence while towing when front wheel bearings are out of spec. Checked the bearings for runout and found none. However the bearings are so tight the tires will not free spin more than a few inches, even when the grease is warm.

At 14 years and 102k with a lot of sitting in the garage, I'm not taking and chances with permanent lubed items. New set of SKF front wheel bearings on the way as well as new Spicer permanent lubed U-joints.

I'm headed cross country in two weeks and I believe these were my most risky items.

hankpage
06-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Not broken just getting broken in. We are in the same boat ..... front end is the weak link. The rest of the truck is still like new.
Replace the bearings and you're "On the road again". :whistling:

Might want to get your hands on a spare lift pump, that should be due soon.

BamaRam
06-20-2018, 08:14 PM
Might want to get your hands on a spare lift pump, that should be due soon.

I’ve already made a preemptive strike on the lift pump. It was sounding grindey.

SC Dreamer
06-21-2018, 03:08 AM
Might just have to completely clean all old grease and repack with fresh grease. The old grease gets clumpy in the bearings. 192k on mine and don't want to use anything else! ��

Fishsizzle
06-22-2018, 02:56 AM
Are Dodge Bearings like Ford, unit bearings?

I carry a spare as I’ve lost one going on a trip in the middle of nowhere. Have become adept at changing them.

Laredo Tugger
06-22-2018, 03:41 AM
I am getting ready to purchase a new RAM 3500. I have read this thread and others as a prospective buyer and there seems to be a common denominator with Ram trucks and front end wear. I know there is a lot of weight on their front ends and 102K miles is a few weeks away, but one comment from a friend still sticks in my mind. "If you buy a Ram,the truck will fall apart around the motor". At this time I don't think that is enough to persuade me to spend another 10-15K on the competitors product.
Good info,thanks.
RMc

Harleydodge
06-22-2018, 03:58 AM
I've owned 3 new Rams since 2002.
The '02 front end fell apart before year 1 and was replaced/rebuilt under warranty.
It then lasted 9 more years until I traded it on a '12.
No issues at all with the '12.

Both of those were 1500 (1/2 tons) with independent suspension, with the '02 being the first year they came out with one, I believe.

My current '17 3500 (1 ton) is back to the good ol solid front axle, and it rides like it too, but hopefully it will be more reliable in the long run and is more adept to the job.

Bearings are definitely a routine maintenance item though. Glad you caught the issue before it caught you

BamaRam
06-22-2018, 05:02 AM
Are Dodge Bearings like Ford, unit bearings? .

Yes they are unitized. I considered removing the ABS sensor and adding grease but decided against it.

BamaRam
06-22-2018, 05:09 AM
I've owned 3 new Rams since 2002.
The '02 front end fell apart before year 1 and was replaced/rebuilt under warranty.
It then lasted 9 more years until I traded it on a '12.
No issues at all with the '12.

Both of those were 1500 (1/2 tons) with independent suspension, with the '02 being the first year they came out with one, I believe.

My current '17 3500 (1 ton) is back to the good ol solid front axle, and it rides like it too, but hopefully it will be more reliable in the long run and is more adept to the job.

Bearings are definitely a routine maintenance item though. Glad you caught the issue before it caught you

I’ve been told the same thing about falling apart. I like to be proactive and replace with quality aftermarket replacement parts. I replaced everything in the front steering and suspension except bearings four months ago. Should have changed them then.

Lee
06-22-2018, 05:33 AM
Hi,

Did you perform the "tire spin test" with the brake pads removed?

Reason I ask is, the symptom you describe could be a stuck brake caliper.

BamaRam
06-22-2018, 05:47 AM
Hi,

Did you perform the "tire spin test" with the brake pads removed?

Reason I ask is, the symptom you describe could be a stuck brake caliper.

I used a c clamp to push the calipers in.

BamaRam
07-11-2018, 04:35 AM
Just rolled into Teller County Colorado. My old truck pulled 4 tons for 1200 miles and climbed 7300' in elevation. Never missed a beat. Couldn't be happier since I've spent a lot of time and energy getting her ready for the trip. The wind beat us up pretty bad but that's another subject.

Badbart56
07-11-2018, 04:57 AM
I had considered getting a Ram 3500 when I was looking to upgrade from my 97 Ford. My research revealed that the Ram quality was much better on the 2012 and up trucks, over the previous models. Ram has heard your complaints.