PDA

View Full Version : triple tow

stvncnd
06-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Has anyone ever towed behind a Montana 3820FK fifth wheel? I want to tow my ATV in a 3500# trailer behind mine and wondered if anyone else has done so. What repercussions would I be facing?

notanlines
06-20-2018, 06:45 AM
We triple tow and have had no problems yet. The east coast states and the three far west are less than friendly towards the practice, but most of the rest are fairly receptive. There are a number of websites to give you guidance. I might further add that the hitch on your Montana should be inspected to make sure it is up to the chore. It seems like your choice of trailers might be a little large. This isn't a practice that all members are up for, so PM me if you have any questions.

Javi
06-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Only restriction in Texas is 65 feet total... bumper to bumper.. :D oh.... and the tow vehicle must weight at least 2500 pounds empty.. :D :D

travelin texans
06-20-2018, 10:04 AM
My Redwood came with the receiver hitch rated at 300 lb tongue weight, 3000lb trailer weight, which limits your trailer. There are several on the RW forum towing Jeeps or small cars, boats, motorcycle trailers, all claiming NO issues from law enforcement in most states. If towing a driveable vehicle (not a boat or something trailered) I would think would be best, that way if you were stopped you could drive it away as opposed to leaving it on the side on the road til you could return.
Rear view cameras would be a MUST!
Personally I think I'll pass.

JRTJH
06-20-2018, 10:36 AM
We regularly triple tow. In Michigan, the maximum length is 75'. Our trailer is 30' 5" long, we tow a Bass Tracker Tournament TX 175 (18' boat) and our total length with a 2015 F250 short bed truck is 73' 11". So, you may be pushing the 65' limit in most states if you have a similar truck, a larger(longer) fifth wheel and tow a typical 16' trailer.

Check your home state. In Michigan, a Driver's License endorsement is required before triple towing. Some states require it, some don't. You're OK towing in any state that allows triple towing if you're licensed to do it in your home state. But, you can't tow through states that prohibit triple towing, even with a license from home.

As for most hitches on trailers, if OEM, they are usually rated less than 3500 pounds total weight and 350 pounds maximum tongue weight. Depending on how you load the towed trailer, you may not be able to get the tongue weight below the maximum receiver rating.

We have just started towing our Slingshot on an aluminum trailer behind the Cougar. The trailer is rated at 3500 pounds, weighs 790 empty and the Slingshot weighs 1750, so we're towing about 2500-2600 pounds, roughly the same weight as the boat.

I completely agree with the requirement for a towing camera system. Without the camera, there's no way to visualize the trailer or cargo except in left/right turns, and then you can only see the rear part of the trailer, behind the axles. The camera system is a MUST HAVE !!!!!!!!!

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
06-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Alaska is 72 feet in length max, Tow Vehicle must have 3 axles and weigh no less then 15k and equipped with air brakes.

When I looked thru the sites that are used for reference on triple towing, I found that many had incorrect information. Alaska(my home state) when researched shows triple towing as allowable...which it is....just have to fit into the above parameters. I have seen many folks busted here in Alaska for triple towing and the fines are rather steep. I have been contacted a time or two to meet folks to pull a trailer down from the border area after they have been stopped.

ctbruce
06-23-2018, 07:39 PM
This is how we do it in the midwest. 70 feet nose to motor.17144

notanlines
06-24-2018, 01:59 AM
Chip, I believe that rig had an "extra four feet." :facepalm: