PDA

View Full Version : Surge Protector?

guitarboy52
06-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Going on first local try-out with our new passport, should I buy a surge protector before we go?

SC Dreamer
06-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Yes and always use it!

66joej
06-18-2018, 05:11 PM
YES! You will thank yourselves when your neighbour has a fried whatever from a brownout or surge.

sourdough
06-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Get one...and a good one, not the cheaper "surge" protectors. Get the upper end EMS "system". If you are about to go get the inline protector - it's what I've used for years and I'm extremely happy with it. Electrical current is something you just can't see, unlike water. The current can be in many different states and some of them can terminally damage the equipment in your trailer. You have invested a large sum of money into the trailer and much of that is in electrical devices. Many rv "parks" have poor or questionable power. It only makes sense to get the best device you can to protect your trailer....IMO.

Canonman
06-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Will you be using electrical hook ups??
Then Yes! And not just to protect from surges, lightning and brown outs but to verify the power is good before hooking up the trailer.
We had occasion to pull into an RV park in Moab after 10 days of dry camping. Got the Cougar all backed in and level and went to hook up the utilities. Because we had the surge protector, I discovered the pedestal was wired backward and the 3rd wire ground was not hooked up. Found out during the repair that the previous camper had pulled out without disconnecting from the pedestal and some "other" maintenance guy had done the repair. Just shows you never know until you verify what the power issues are:eek:

flybouy
06-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Don't leave home without it!

guitarboy52
06-19-2018, 03:01 AM
Thanks all for the input, picking one up from dealer today.

DocP
06-19-2018, 04:15 AM
Yes, get one ASAP. I went the extra-cautious route, and bought one that is both a surge protects and voltage booster (Hughes Autoformer RV220-50-SP 50 Amp Voltage Booster with Advanced Surge Protection). I have been in too many campgrounds where on busy weekends the voltage drops to very low levels, which can damage sensitive equipment such as air conditioners and the refrigerator. I know that it's pricey, but it is cheaper than having to replace the appliances.

guitarboy52
06-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Picked up a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X. Digital readout, faulty wiring detect plus high and low voltage protection.

TheGriz
06-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Without a doubt, use some type of EMS. Here is a thread I started last summer in the forum. Lots of participation/input on the thread. Should be a good read for you, with lots of pictures of installations.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31690

Good luck,
Mike

Canonman
06-19-2018, 05:41 PM
Picked up a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X. Digital readout, faulty wiring detect plus high and low voltage protection.

I'd say you "did real good".
https://www.usautoauthority.com/best-rv-surge-protectors/

itat
06-20-2018, 03:28 AM
We use a Progressive Industries hard wired EMS and a Hughes Autoformer.

I don’t recall ever seeing a surge error on the EMS but we see low voltage (error code E4) regularly so I add the Autoformer.

Before I back into a site, I use a Prime Products AC Power Line Monitor (https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-12-4058-Power-Monitor/dp/B000BRFTH6) to check the power pedestal.

Northofu1
06-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Hey Guitar
:wlcm: to the forum.
I am just starting out also, so I am very limited in my experience. I purchased the
Progressive industries SSP - 30XL Surge protector with cover. I know it's not nearly the same as the inline. I would think that a product from the same manufacture as the top of the line inline system isn't going to sell junk. I have my fingers crossed, and insurance paid up on trailer, to forge ahead. I am in Canada so I might get lucky up here. Just my 2 cents worth. P.S. Buy a lock for it if you get one. :)

AbHDToyHauler
06-20-2018, 08:37 AM
Yes. Buy one. From the helpful people on this forum I added one to my new trailer first thing (Progressive Industries 50 amp permanent inline) and the first trip out it found a fault . My friend in helping me hookup loaned me his "spare" power cord because i was a bit far from power post. The unit wouldn't let system power up and showed an error. I looked up error. It was no ground. I checked his cord. Ground was bad. He didn't know. Now he does. I used a different cord. All good. So day one. It may have saved a life. Awesome unit to have.

PARAPTOR
06-20-2018, 08:40 AM
As stated by others, this is a must have !! and should be first item on your must have list.

There are advantages for both portable and in line hardwired units, There are many posts on the pro and con of each on the forum. Use the search feature

malangsr
06-24-2018, 07:41 AM
Electrical management system
30 amp. EMS-HW30C - hardwired
Lifetime warranty
This is what we use, it has saved me several times. Power jump at campground - electrical storm - unregulated power source - etc. Comes in 30 or 50 amp. Customer service is outstanding. Would not leave home without it.

funjoh
06-24-2018, 07:48 AM
I recently installed a 50 AMP EMS from Progressive. It was fairly easy to install, however, during the install I was wondering if it will ever really be needed. My very first trip after the install the system shut down due to an open ground. I went to the power pedestal and found the ground clamp had fallen off the ground rod. A quick repair and the EMS allow connection. I am very happy that I did the install!

grey ghost
06-24-2018, 11:59 AM
YES, right away, use it every time, don't forget it!! Campground power surges can and will fry you appliances so ALWAYS us a surge protector!!

micar
06-24-2018, 12:09 PM
We stay at some Campgrounds with only 30amp and others with 50amp. The trailer is 50amp. Do I need a 30 and 50amp protector?

Javi
06-24-2018, 12:46 PM
We stay at some Campgrounds with only 30amp and others with 50amp. The trailer is 50amp. Do I need a 30 and 50amp protector?

Nope... 50 amp will work for either.. just use a 30 to 50 amp dogbone..

Tre’s Laredo
06-24-2018, 01:15 PM
Yes and a good one.

dpankowski
06-24-2018, 04:20 PM
We were staying in a campground and the maint guy came over and told us their doing some electrical work and they are going to shut off power. Like a dummy, I didn't think to disconnect. Well they turned on the power and they fried the 12v converter. The first night of a 10 day trip. Ever since then I always have power protection. I use one that plugs into the pedestal. Not as convenient as a built in one.

https://www.campingworld.com/50-amp-portable-surge-guard-with-lcd-display

guitarboy52
06-24-2018, 05:58 PM
I feel comfortable with my choice, Progressive seems to be state of the art in surge and low voltage security. Three more nights in our shake down outing, so far our TT has been carefree. I know it won't always go this smooth, but a great start.

Old soldier
06-25-2018, 05:07 AM
Yipper! I have a 30 amp for our 1964 Fireball vintage camoer snd a 50 amp model for our Montana. I don’t get the hardwired version so I can move them between campers. And before you plug into the pedestal, check to ensure the breakers were all switched off. Some dolts do not turn off power before unhooking, so the pedestal is “on” when you plug in. That can cause arcing as you plug in your surge guard. Our 30 amp model has a 2 minute delay before providing power to the coach (there are two leds that turn green when power is on, so don’t get worried if power in the coach gas a delay); our 50 amp model does not have that delay. I still use surge guards for entertainment centers, etc even though the main guard is on the pedestal. Like wearing a belt and suspenders, I guess: mark of an old man. Tchuss!