PDA

View Full Version : Wall thickness

Boulder
06-18-2018, 07:51 AM
I have a 2017 Keystone Bullet RKS. There is a tv hookup in the bedroom and I want to install a tv wall mount and a tv.
There is a stud in the wall between the bathroom and the bedroom ideally situated for mounting but I do NOT want to put screws too long so they protrude on the bathroom side.

Can anyone tell me how thick this wall stud is?

Thank you in advance.

Ray Hallock.

travelin texans
06-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Interior or exterior wall? Look at the thickness at a door jamb. Most interiors are only an inch or so, exterior a couple inches.

MattE303
06-19-2018, 03:51 PM
If there's no other way to measure it and you really want to know, find the tiniest drill bit you can, drill a hole thru the wall (down near the floor so it isn't noticeable, and push a piece of thin wire thru the hole so you can measure it. I used this method in my toy hauler bedroom to figure out where to drill a hole up through the floor from the basement so I could route an HDMI cable up into a hollow wall to attach to a mounting plate I installed next to the TV, worked great!

JRTJH
06-19-2018, 04:00 PM
I've seen interior walls that were 3" thick, 2" thick, 1" thick and I've seen walls that were constructed of 1/8" luan finished on both sides, so if you're unsure, follow the above advice and find an inconspicuous place to drill a "test hole" to determine the thickness.

This is definitely a "proceed with caution" unless you have a favorite photo to hang over the "mistake"..... Good Luck.