PDA

View Full Version : Insurance while living in Trailer?

Tennessee Toad
06-17-2018, 06:54 PM
I am currently between houses. I have sold one house, and will be moving to my property in Tennessee. I will need to live in my Laredo for about six months.
I have inquired with insurance people regarding insurance while my trailer is parked. I keep hitting a wall, but I'm sure this is not a new idea. Any ideas as to how to go about this would be greatly appreciated.
Toad

Eastham
06-17-2018, 07:06 PM
I don't see where it would make any difference if it is parked or not as long as you have full coverages on it all seasonal campers are parked for about six months.If you left it year round at a ampgrund you might have to change the principal place of garage ing. I might be wrong but one of the others will be here soon to correct It

Frank G
06-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Your insurance agent should be able to help you. Your TT is insured, add a contents rider and a general Liability policy. If you have stuff in a storage unit it is probably not insured.

We own no real estate and live in a attached dwelling (separate but together) with our Daughter 6 month of the year. Her insurance carrier recognizes in-laws living under her roof for her dwelling, our contents and liability coverage for us.

Again, a good agent can work out the details.

Tennessee Toad
06-17-2018, 07:14 PM
Any particular insurance company? Allstate says no dice.

Frank G
06-17-2018, 07:20 PM
As I reread your post you own property, you are parking your Laredo on your property, and building a house. You need builders Insurance with Liability coverage, upon completion it will convert to home owners insurance.

Frank G
06-17-2018, 07:23 PM

You need to find a seasoned independent agent. I could name a company but Insurance laws change from state to state, as do policies.

sourdough
06-17-2018, 08:12 PM

Allstate? I last did business with them 50 years ago or so. Look for someone else IMO.

rhagfo
06-17-2018, 08:36 PM
Well we had issues with a auto carrier who had our 5er. Once we went full time they would no longer insure our 5er as we were living in it all the time. They directed us to Foremost. you can see if they offer coverage in your area.

Frank G
06-18-2018, 03:37 AM
I do not think a 6 month stay in a TT could be considered full time...if so every snowbird would have issues. There are hundreds of thousands snowbirds from the US and Canada that leave there units parked in the sunny south. I think at that point you would have to disclose the location to your insurance carrier, and they might not write policies in that area. With my RV carrier I had to state where it was stored, but there is no limit on travel or days used. May be I should read the entire policy. :eek:

Tbos
06-18-2018, 09:02 AM
Geico had no issues when I told them we are living in ours full time.