PDA

View Full Version : When to adjust/inspect brakes?

Whit66
06-15-2018, 04:35 PM
I have a new 2019 30RLS 5th wheel, the manual indicates to adjust the brakes after the first 500 miles... I have about 1,300 miles on the trailer now, my question is what is everybody doing out there/what should I do?

Should I adjust them, as I am about to take a 3,000 mile trip soon?

Thanks

Howie
06-15-2018, 04:41 PM
I certainly would check them or have someone check them if you are not comfortable doing it. I just put new backing plates and brakes (they come in a complete new setup) due to seals having leaked oil and grease all over them. I adjusted as normal procedure, drove 20 miles and rechecked and they needed to be adjusted again. Drove another 100 miles and checked again, needed adjusting again. The point being they should be looked at when new and if you are headed out on a long trip it is simply a smart idea to check them.

Whit66
06-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Thank you, I will keep my appointment on Tuesday!!! Hopefully they are okay, since I have 1,300 miles on them... Thanks again

gearhead
06-15-2018, 05:33 PM
When it does come time to replace them....eTrailer has complete assemblies (backing plate, springs, shoes, magnets, etc.). You can get self adjusting as well.

chuckster57
06-15-2018, 06:53 PM
When it does come time to replace them....eTrailer has complete assemblies (backing plate, springs, shoes, magnets, etc.). You can get self adjusting as well.

If the current brakes aren’t self adjusting, I would definitely consider changing to them.

bobbecky
06-15-2018, 09:17 PM
No where in the current brochure do they make any mention of what kind of brakes. They only mention 15 inch wheels with E rated tires. I guess they aren't very proud of what they have for brakes, which are probably not self adjusting.