PDA

View Full Version : Short term summer storage

TG10894
06-14-2018, 09:24 AM
After camping for several weeks, I will be storing my travel trailer for several months this summer. I have seen several conflicting suggestions for storing in the summer.
The current state of my trailer is:
- Battery master off with fully charged battery
- Gas isolated at the bottle stops
- Gray and black tanks empty after thoroughly flushed
- Water in toilet high enough to cover seal
- All food removed and trailer clean
- Window shades closed
- Fresh water tank is drained (never really used), and the rest of the system is full from the last camping trip. (I expect to have to flush it next trip)

Any suggestions on additional needs??

I will visit the trailer every couple of weeks to check on it, as we miss each other.

KeithInUpstateNY
06-14-2018, 09:32 AM
I would suggest bringing the battery home and putting it on a battery tender/maintence charger. Lead acid batteries lose about 1% of their charge a day just sitting idle. In several months it would be drained well below the recommended 50% minimum and permanent damage to the battery could occur.

KeithInUpstateNY
06-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Also, if your roof vents have covers I would leave them open to vent heat and moisture.

Copper scouring pads stuffed in the access port for the electric cord will help keep mice out.

If you don't have a flying insect screen on your furnace vent it's a good investment to keep wasps from nesting in the vents.

chay1950
06-14-2018, 10:14 AM
I didn't see where you said if the trailer will be stored indoors our out. If it's outside, get tire covers to protect from the UV rays.
The water standing in the toilet will mildew. Add some of the enzymes to the bowl that you put in the tank. That should help.
Place 1-2 Damp-Rid dehumidifiers in the trailer.

travelin texans
06-14-2018, 12:04 PM
DampRid in high humidity areas, such as Houston or 5 gallon buckets of water If in hot dry areas, such as Arizona.

66joej
06-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Tires aired up to max pressure and have boards under them if parked on concrete.