PDA

View Full Version : Switch on Bathroom Fan

TheGriz
06-11-2018, 06:15 PM
My DW is only 5'3" and can not reach the rocker switch on the bathroom exhaust fan. I was hoping there is a direct replacement "pull-string" type switch that I can swap out for the stock rocker switch.

Don't have a pic right now, I'll try to get out tomorrow if I get a moment and provide pic. From memory seem to think switch was rectangular...about 3/4" long.

Any help appreciated.
Mike

bobbecky
06-11-2018, 09:36 PM
You can also use a dowel to push up on the switch, on and off, instead of replacing it.

jsmith948
06-12-2018, 04:02 AM
This^^^^^^. My DW is also vertically challenged. I wanted to wire a wall switch for the fan, but, she can't reach the vent knob either. I fashioned a "bail' for the vent knob out of some stiff, stainless wire. Then I cut a diagonal slot in the end of a 3/4 x 3/4 x 36" piece of wood left over from another project (dowel would work). She uses the stick to twist open the vent and then uses the end to work the switch.:)

Old Mustanger
06-12-2018, 09:00 AM
This^^^^^^. My DW is also vertically challenged. I wanted to wire a wall switch for the fan, but, she can't reach the vent knob either. I fashioned a "bail' for the vent knob out of some stiff, stainless wire. Then I cut a diagonal slot in the end of a 3/4 x 3/4 x 36" piece of wood left over from another project (dowel would work). She uses the stick to twist open the vent and then uses the end to work the switch.:)

Can you get a picture of your solution for the vent knob? DW is 5' 0" and I'm always having to get up and open the vent for her:banghead:

jsmith948
06-12-2018, 10:13 AM
Hope the pics work. The stick is 3/4 x 1.16960169611696216963

jsmith948
06-12-2018, 10:26 AM
Can you get a picture of your solution for the vent knob? DW is 5' 0" and I'm always having to get up and open the vent for her:banghead:Sorry the pics are not in order. I drilled two small holes in the knob 180 deg apart. Bent the wire into a "u" and then threaded it through the holes and then bent the ends toward the inside of the knob. You can buy a kit at CW for about $26. This was free.

sourdough
06-12-2018, 11:13 AM
Sorry the pics are not in order. I drilled two small holes in the knob 180 deg apart. Bent the wire into a "u" and then threaded it through the holes and then bent the ends toward the inside of the knob. You can buy a kit at CW for about $26. This was free.

Very creative! If I continue to shrink I may have to make me one of those:banghead:

TheGriz
06-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Hope the pics work. The stick is 3/4 x 1.16960169611696216963

Slick...I like it!!!! Will have to give that a try!

Thanks for the idea and pics.
Mike

IHnutz
06-12-2018, 04:58 PM
I wired the "HOT" side of the switch to the "switched" side of the bathroom light (close to the vent) so that the fan comes on whenever the light is ON. However, if the FAN switch is turned OFF the fan doesn't come on even though the light is on. I have a cover over the vent can leave the vent cover open all the time.

Old Mustanger
06-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Sorry the pics are not in order. I drilled two small holes in the knob 180 deg apart. Bent the wire into a "u" and then threaded it through the holes and then bent the ends toward the inside of the knob. You can buy a kit at CW for about $26. This was free.

Thanks! The pictures and detailed step by step are great.

LuvsPalmTrees
06-13-2018, 10:18 AM
As for a person who is vertically challenged those are great ideas. I stretch as tall as I can and hit the bathroom one with the tip of my finger.

flybouy
06-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Why not install a remote control switch? You could mount the remote on the wall with command strips or velcro.
https://www.amazon.com/ELENKER-wireless-Control-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B012ZR49LQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1528924135&sr=8-11&keywords=remote+control+12+volt+switch

ptooti
06-14-2018, 08:30 PM
We are doing this thanks for sharing!! The knob mod!

ptooti
06-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Done! Thanks jmith948 for the great mod we used 1/8 stainless tig welding rod and plastic paint stick! 17021170221702317024

jsmith948
06-16-2018, 05:14 PM
Done! Thanks jmith948 for the great mod we used 1/8 stainless tig welding rod and plastic paint stick! 17021170221702317024I like your version!

Andymil
06-16-2018, 08:42 PM
The bathroom vent/fan in our Sprinter is powered only when the bathroom lights are on. The fan is a POS. I would replace it with a remote controlled model but so far I haven’t been able to get a hot wire to it without putting a hole in the wall. I have to stand on the toilet to open the vent and turn on the fan. There is no cover over the vent so we can’t leave it open. I may have to make one of those sticks for now.

The vents in the lr and br didn’t have fans. I replaced the vent in the living room with a Maxxair with a cover. The ceiling is low so I went with the manual model. I got lucky fishing wires to the living room fan. It was not pre-wired. I didn’t buy the fan until I got the wires in place.

I put a cover on the bedroom vent so we can leave it open and would like to install a Maxxair but again, it’s not pre-wired for 12 volts. The br is pre-wired for a 2nd A/C unit.

It’s hard to fish wires in these trailers.

geeman
06-21-2018, 07:12 AM
The bathroom vent/fan in our Sprinter is powered only when the bathroom lights are on. The fan is a POS. I would replace it with a remote controlled model but so far I haven’t been able to get a hot wire to it without putting a hole in the wall. I have to stand on the toilet to open the vent and turn on the fan. There is no cover over the vent so we can’t leave it open. I may have to make one of those sticks for now.

The vents in the lr and br didn’t have fans. I replaced the vent in the living room with a Maxxair with a cover. The ceiling is low so I went with the manual model. I got lucky fishing wires to the living room fan. It was not pre-wired. I didn’t buy the fan until I got the wires in place.

I put a cover on the bedroom vent so we can leave it open and would like to install a Maxxair but again, it’s not pre-wired for 12 volts. The br is pre-wired for a 2nd A/C unit.

It’s hard to fish wires in these trailers.

If your old fan is powered by the light switch, you should be able to go to the light and take the fan wire and bypass the switch so it is hot all the time. Then you could do what you want at the fan whether remote or switched or....

geeman
06-21-2018, 07:14 AM
Vent stick is good idea. Should also be able to just add a pull string switch and leave the rocker switch on if your DW has a hard time putting the stick on the small rocker.

boxcar
06-21-2018, 07:24 AM
I initially wondered what your dishwasher was doing in the bathroom . . .

Same problem - 5'2" and can't reach the new Sprinter fan and knob. Thanks for posting! On my way to Tractor Supply for some stainless welding rod.

Andymil
06-21-2018, 07:44 AM
If your old fan is powered by the light switch, you should be able to go to the light and take the fan wire and bypass the switch so it is hot all the time. Then you could do what you want at the fan whether remote or switched or....

I can get to the wire from the light to the fan, but I can’t get a hot (12 volts) to that wire. The 12 volt feed is at the switch, not the light. I can’t bypass the switch at the light. I have to run a wire from the hot side of the switch, up the wall and across the ceiling. Can’t find any hot wires in the ceiling.

I haven’t given up yet.

Ccrew
06-21-2018, 08:55 AM
:DSheesh, all these people claiming to be short! . My lovely bride is 4'11" :D

BoondockingBakers
06-22-2018, 04:27 AM
Here is the solution I found since I could not reach the vent knobs.

Kwik Stik RV Roof Vent Extension Handle

https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Stik-Roof-Extension-Handle/dp/B01DPU0DZI