PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue

kr1975
06-11-2018, 06:46 AM
We have a Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th wheel. We accidentally hooked the battery up backwards this weekend. Some of the overhead lights worked , but little else. Didn't realize that the battery was hooked up backwards until later in the day after we had hooked up and started the generator (via the shore cord) to try to charge the battery.
I see in other threads that there is a built in reverse polarity protection and have changed the 2-40amp fuses as suggested - they were both blown. Fridge / lights / water pump/ furnace are all now working but the wall plugs / radio and TV in the rear of the trailer are not. Have checked all the other fuses in the panel and they are all OK. Any suggestions as to what to check next?

xrated
06-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Wall plugs are 120VAC.....you might want to like in your breaker panel for a tripped 120 volt breaker

kr1975
06-11-2018, 06:55 AM
None of the breakers were tripped on the panel. Any other thoughts?? Thanks

sourdough
06-11-2018, 07:43 AM
You connected the batteries backward and blew the fuses - 12vdc. The items you mentioned that don't work are 120vac. - 2 different things. Do you have AC connected to the trailer? Does your air conditioning work?

kr1975
06-11-2018, 07:55 AM
We never use the AC as we are in a remote area and have no power other that the 2000W generator. We had the generator hooked up after we fix the battery hook-up issue and still no action in the electrical outlets / radio. Everything else seems to work.

DOWva
06-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Look at all of the outlets and find the GFCI and reset it. Should remedy the problem

Ken / Claudia
06-11-2018, 08:13 AM
One thing that helps with others giving advice. Tell us everything you have checked already and saves you time printing I already checked that.

kr1975
06-11-2018, 02:12 PM
There is nothing further to add re what we have already checked. I will keep your suggestion in mind Ken/Claudia when asking for help in the future. I appreciate your input.

I will try the GFIC reset and check the in line fuse for the radio when we go back up to the trailer next weekend. So thank you in the meantime for all your kind help and responses! Will update the post when I have tried these things! .

ctbruce
06-11-2018, 02:54 PM
You will need the generator running for the GFCI to reset. Also, did you bring your battery home with you to charge it? It shouldn't stay discharged for long periods.

bobbecky
06-11-2018, 09:29 PM
You connected the batteries backward and blew the fuses - 12vdc. The items you mentioned that don't work are 120vac. - 2 different things. Do you have AC connected to the trailer? Does your air conditioning work?

Not the Air Conditioner, AC, like Alternating Current, also known as 120 volts AC electric, as the things not working run on 120 volts AC, not battery voltage, 12 volts DC.

HANGAR
06-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Sounds like the GFI to me, hopefully that will be the fix. If not, recheck your circuit breakers inside your 120VAC load center. They may visibly look like they're all "ON", but sometimes when they trip, the handle doesn't move to the middle position. Physically turn them all off and then back on again (cycle them).

kr1975
07-01-2018, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions to try - yes it was the GFI switch and it was the inline fuse on the radio! Everything is now up and running!!

Your input was mush appreciated!