PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning Problems

lindy46
06-10-2018, 03:22 AM
We purchased a new 26' Forest River Heritage Glen last September, and this is the first time we've used the A/C in really hot weather. Friday it was 88 degrees and the Dometic A/C would only cool the RV down to 80 degrees. Is that normal? It blows cool, but not cold air. We're set up permanently at a campground and it would be difficult to bring the RV to a dealer. Would the warranty cover having a mobile repair person come out and fix the A/C? Maybe just needs charging?

ctbruce
06-10-2018, 03:57 AM
About a 10 degree drop from ambient temp is what to expect. Keeping the shades down, keeping the doors closed and some shade helps.
Also, do a search on here for AC improve, you'll find a lot of help. Especially about checking the plenum tape job and duct ends.
Here's a good one to get you started:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25849&highlight=Amazing

chuckster57
06-10-2018, 04:12 AM
Actually a 20 degree drop at the vent is considered normal. RV A/C units are sealed and considered non serviceable. You may have a 2 yr warranty, check your owners packet. Replacement is the fix if in fact the compressor has lost refrigerant.

Frank G
06-10-2018, 04:22 AM
Get a early start in the morning, keep the shades pulled, NO cooking inside, No exhaust fans. It may creep into the mid 80"s late afternoon but the humidity inside should be below 30%. With a small fan it should be more than comfortable. We picked up a used Dyson at a garage sale for $30.00, works great.
In the heat of the day, don't try and cool the hole unit. open up the outlets on the A/C unit and cool the living area. Close them before retiring and cool the sleeping area.

Save yourself a service call, with your food thermometer measure the air temperature at the closest discharge vent to the A/c unit and like previously stated is should be about 10deg. cooler than the ambient air temp. Up on the roof and make sure the fins are clean. Clean the air filters weekly.

lindy46
06-11-2018, 04:44 AM
Thanks for the info - I'll check the ducts and plenum and make sure everything is sealed up properly. And I'll check the difference in air temp going in and coming out. I've also read that if the campground voltage is too low, it will cause problems. It suggested an inline voltage booster/surge suppressor. Anyone have any experience with these?

Frank G
06-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the info - I'll check the ducts and plenum and make sure everything is sealed up properly. And I'll check the difference in air temp going in and coming out. I've also read that if the campground voltage is too low, it will cause problems. It suggested an inline voltage booster/surge suppressor. Anyone have any experience with these?

We use a Progressive Dynamics Surge suppressor, (there are others) it also checks for proper pedestal voltage and plug configuration. Affordable and adds a level of protection.

Voltage boosters are expensive. Buy a plug-in voltage meter, inexpensive and it will tell you what you need to know. If you don't have at least 108 VAC let someone know. Most utilities set the voltage at 120VAC. Below 100VAC I would pull the plug. Every appliance has a tag specifying voltage requirements.

All this stuff is available at your favorite camping store.

Bob Landry
06-11-2018, 02:36 PM
The standard is a 17-20 degree split between the discharge and return air.(also refered to as the split across the coil). If the ducts and plenum are not properly taped or if the unit is undersized for the space you are trying to cool, you won't see that. Also, the outside temp has nothing to do with the split, so ignore anything you read about that.
A competent AC tech can check for proper charge using a clamp-on ampmeter and measuring the compressor amp draw relative to the outside ambient temperature, but that's beyond the scope of the average owner.

travelin texans
06-11-2018, 03:20 PM
We use a Progressive Dynamics Surge suppressor, (there are others) it also checks for proper pedestal voltage and plug configuration. Affordable and adds a level of protection.

Voltage boosters are expensive. Buy a plug-in voltage meter, inexpensive and it will tell you what you need to know. If you don't have at least 108 VAC let someone know. Most utilities set the voltage at 120VAC. Below 100VAC I would pull the plug. Every appliance has a tag specifying voltage requirements.

All this stuff is available at your favorite camping store.

Spend the extra few bucks & get the Progressive Industies surge protector/EMS, it protects against a whole list of issues that the surge suppressor does not.
As I said it cost more, but price a fridge, 2-3 televisions, or an air conditioner or two, its cheap insurance.

sourdough
06-11-2018, 03:27 PM
Totally agree with Danny above. If you think you have low voltage, you owe it to yourself to have a surge/EMS protector. I use the SurgeGuard brand and it has done a great job for us, the Progressive is also very popular. Regardless of the brand get one. At our S&B I have lost 2 desktops, a side by side fridge and a freezer; not to power surges but "brown outs" due to our poor power provider. The EMS will protect you from that. We just had a poster that burned up his connection due to an extension cord with too small a gauge; an EMS would have prevented that as well.

wiredgeorge
06-11-2018, 04:12 PM
I am kind of dumbstruck that someone considers 88 degrees hot; Seriously, here in Texas everyone with a metal roof on their house ends up painting it silver even if it doesn't come that color originally (ours was forest green). The silver paint helps the insides stay a bit cooler. Why do RV roofs go white or some light off white shade for the most part?

sourdough
06-11-2018, 04:33 PM
I am kind of dumbstruck that someone considers 88 degrees hot; Seriously, here in Texas everyone with a metal roof on their house ends up painting it silver even if it doesn't come that color originally (ours was forest green). The silver paint helps the insides stay a bit cooler. Why do RV roofs go white or some light off white shade for the most part?

I think temps are relative to different folks. It's 102 where I'm at right now. I don't have a problem with it because the humidity is very low so it feels sort of cool to me. On the other hand, when we are in coastal areas 80 degrees can be tough with humidity in the 80+ range..for us - I guess because we grew up as "desert rats". In coastal areas, with temps in the mid 80's I've ran 2 ACs - but we like "cool".....

lindy46
06-24-2018, 02:40 PM
We took our camper in to the dealer and sure enough, the compressor was toast. They replaced the unit and we were on our way in about 6 hours. It was under warranty, so no charge. I also went ahead and checked the ducts. Both the vent in the front and back of the camper had an extra 2-3 feet of duct beyond the vent, so I dammed up both with round pipe insulation as mentioned in another post. Air flow now seems stronger. Thanks for all the comments and help!