PDA

View Full Version : Camping Grill Info

sourdough
06-09-2018, 11:50 AM
I had touched on this a couple of years ago in a different way.

When I asked for suggestions on a camp grill there were many suggestions but I think the favorite was probably the Weber. I bought the Coleman NexTrip LXE because I liked the double burners (for pot cooking outside), the integrated, folding stand and the fact it put out 20,000 btu vs the Weber 12,000.

It worked great but was a little too hot when grilling. I bought 2 induction cookers so I didn't need it for pot cooking any longer. Before we left FL I just put a sign on the dumpster that I was giving it, the case, the various grates etc. away. It was like new and it was gone first thing the next morning. Now, I'm "grillless" (funny looking word).:)

I am leaning toward the Weber 2200 but I have a few questions;

>I have also seen a Smoke Hollow smoker/grill that appears interesting. Has anyone ever used one and are they up to the Weber standard? Will they actually impart a smoky flavor?

>Neither apparently comes with a stand. Do they require one? I always insisted on a stand because, once in my past, I used a grill (none of the above) on a thick, plastic topped table and found that the heat split the plastic tabletop - not good. The pictures show them on picnic tables and whatnot. I would like to use one without the stand (I think the Weber one is an additional $80 or so) if possible.

>The Weber, with the domed lid, is much taller than the Coleman. Has that been problematic in any way? I carry mine in the bed of the truck so it shouldn't be an issue as long as I can get a cover/case for it.

>For anyone with the Weber and the stand; how well does the stand work? I was in CW looking at the stand (they had one folded up just sitting there) and the 2200. It appeared that the stand is kind of a universal thing and that the grill itself may be kind of loosey goosey when sitting on it. Any thoughts from those that have that setup?

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm trying to get things lined up so we can hit the road a few times before we head out on a long trip again.

BTW; I looked at the Camp Chef, which also seemed popular, but, man, those things are big and pretty heavy!

Pull Toy
06-09-2018, 12:16 PM
We have a Weber 2000 for camping, and are very happy with it. We have a two burner Coleman stove that we also set up, and run both units off of 20#er. Works so well for us, we do most of our cooking outside, rather than smell yesterdays bacon, or sautéed onions throughout the rig. Weber makes great BBQs. Our unit at home is about 12 years old, and never had a problem. We have an aftermarket folding stand for the stove, and put the Weber on the picnic table. The Weber stand look a little flimsy to me, and only works with the grille. The folding table gives us more versatility.

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the 2000, and the 2200 is about $60.bucks. What do you get for $60?

1. Thermometer built into the lid.
2. Battery operated lighting spark instead of Pezio (snap button).

Other than that the two units are identical.

Good Luck,

sourdough
06-09-2018, 12:29 PM
We have a Weber 2000 for camping, and are very happy with it. We have a two burner Coleman stove that we also set up, and run both units off of 20#er. Works so well for us, we do most of our cooking outside, rather than smell yesterdays bacon, or sautéed onions throughout the rig. Weber makes great BBQs. Our unit at home is about 12 years old, and never had a problem. We have an aftermarket folding stand for the stove, and put the Weber on the picnic table. The Weber stand look a little flimsy to me, and only works with the grille. The folding table gives us more versatility.

If I remember correctly, the only difference between the 2000, and the 2200 is about $60.bucks. What do you get for $60?

Other than that the two units are identical.

Good Luck,

Steve,

Have you ever used the Weber on a plastic? picnic table? The place we stay in FL uses them at all the sites plus I take one along as well. I'm worried that they will be too hot on the bottom (for plastic) requiring the use of the stand.

66joej
06-09-2018, 12:50 PM

Steve
The new Q2000 has thermometer built into the lid. We are looking at getting one this fall when in the US for winter. Price in Canada is over the top.

Javi
06-09-2018, 02:04 PM
My daughter just gave us a Blackstone 17" flat-top... this will be my go to grill from now on..

Pull Toy
06-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Hi Danny.
My preference is the sturdy picnic table, easier to level, and lots more stable with six grandkids helping to make breakfast. "Nonny" taught all of them to cook a G-O-O-D Campers Breakfast on our outdoor kitchen, starting around age six! (Now range in age from 20 to 4.5, three of each)

No problem with plastic tables that a piece of scrap plywood won't fix a lot cheaper than a Weber stand. I haven't encountered a plastic table yet. Next time I fire up the 2000, I'll check for bottom heat, and report back. Most campgrounds that We've encountered in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and New England are using galvanized metal frames, with 2x6 or 2x10 pressure treated wood for seats, and tops.

Good Luck,

sourdough
06-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Steve, thanks for the input. You know, I can't believe I haven't thought of carrying a piece of plywood for a base under it. I carry all kinds of "boards" for various things but that did not cross my mind - and I'm a woodworking guy! That will solve the issue I believe - unless it is just terribly hot under it.

Triple GGG
06-09-2018, 06:36 PM
I have the Weber Q1200 and have used it on a plastic picnic table with no problems. Last year we did pizza's for the first time. I cannot believe I have been missing this all my life. LOL.

I do like the plywood idea though.

travelin texans
06-09-2018, 09:19 PM
I've owned my Weber for about 8 years & bought a 4' plastic folding table at Wal-Mart at the same time & have used the grill on that table every since, no melting, cracking or burn marks. I have a 20-25' LP hose plumbed to the 30# bottle on my 5er so can grill just far away as I choose.

B-O-B'03
06-10-2018, 04:53 PM
I have the 2200, removed the regulator and put a quick connect fitting it its place. I am thinking about putting a quick connect coupling on the regulator, so I can use 1 pound bottles if the need arises.

Our camper has an outdoor kitchen, with a 2 burner stove, that I used to use to cook bacon & eggs on, but I bought the optional griddle for the Weber and now cook the bacon, eggs and pancakes on that.

The camper had a single quick connect gas port on it and I added a second one so I could connect the Weber and the cook top at the same time.

I have 2 of the plastic folding tables I got from Amazon and use one of them for the Weber... no issues at all.

The Weber does a great job on everything I have ever cooked on it... steaks, burgers, chicken, sausage, bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc.

-Brian

spade117
06-11-2018, 03:59 AM
>I have also seen a Smoke Hollow smoker/grill that appears interesting. Has anyone ever used one and are they up to the Weber standard? Will they actually impart a smoky flavor?

I have a Smoke Hollow gas smoker for home use. It isn't the combo grill/smoker, but I can attest that yes, the food does actually get a smoky flavor.

My daughter just gave us a Blackstone 17" flat-top... this will be my go to grill from now on..

I too am looking into getting the exact same thing. Some friends of ours had one on our Memorial day trip and it looks like it would be a great addition to our set up.

flybouy
06-11-2018, 09:13 AM
I can reflect on my experiences on 2 out of 3 grills you mentioned. I had the Coleman when we had a different trailer with no outside kitchen and liked it except for 2 things. 1 it was heavy and very large to store. 2 you could not close the lid while the fire was on. Cooked corn on the grill one time and melted the lid handle. Coleman replaced the handle for free but told me not to use the grill in a closed position.
Currently have/use the Smoke Hollow Vector series grill and absolutely love it. I like to smoke meat with wood smoke. The center burner is perfect for this. It keeps the grill at a good slow smoking temp and uses very little gas. Before I modified the bumper mount to hold the grill I used a small plastic table and never had any issues with heat affecting the table. Can't comment on the Weber as I haven't owned one but they are quite popular.

Racebug
06-11-2018, 09:20 AM
X2 on the blackstone! rarely get the regular grill out anymore!

leathermanls
06-24-2018, 07:44 AM
We have a large grate the stands over the fire pit and swings out for access. It stands on a large stake.

woodtick50
06-24-2018, 07:54 AM

I have the 36 inch that I leave up at the lake lot and the 17 inch that I use at home. For everyday cooking I like them the best.

Just got a Traeger wood pellet grill this summer. I like it a lot more Than my charcoal smoker.

Kojak
06-24-2018, 08:51 AM

Steve
The new Q2000 has thermometer built into the lid. We are looking at getting one this fall when in the US for winter. Price in Canada is over the top.

Steve I think you are mistaken. The Q2200 is the one with the built in thermometer and higher dome.

rdemore
06-24-2018, 10:24 AM
We use a Coleman stone and Coleman roadtrip grill. They both work great for us. I have both the griddle and pot attachment for the road trip. Cleaning has been an issue and I found disposable burner covers at Walmart to fit around the burner. Not perfect but has cut clean by a bunch

sourdough
06-24-2018, 11:26 AM
We use a Coleman stone and Coleman roadtrip grill. They both work great for us. I have both the griddle and pot attachment for the road trip. Cleaning has been an issue and I found disposable burner covers at Walmart to fit around the burner. Not perfect but has cut clean by a bunch

Before I gave the Roadtrip away we always just took a length of tin foil, cut out around the burners, tucked it in around the edges and around the burners and replaced as necessary. The bottom of the stove looked brand new. I think we made a cutout for the grease drain too if I recall. We had no problems keeping the grills, griddles and coils clean.

lmf580
06-24-2018, 04:20 PM
We have a Weber Q2000 that fits on a aluminum after market stand. The stand was bought at LTD Commodities. It comes apart very easy (about 2 min), the top rolls up, and legs and top fit in a bag. I have a cover for ther Weber (Home depot), Cary it in the back of the truck.

ptooti
06-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Omg I just got the Blackstone 4 days ago and cooked 1 breakfast and 4 Supper meals on it I love it !! We are eating way more veg stir fry’s beef and broccoli And it cooks so fast barely have time for a drink while preparing....pardon my chewing lol hubby takes pics anytime 1717117172171681716917170

notanlines
06-25-2018, 02:31 AM
"Barely have time for a drink while preparing." Ptooti, you obviously don't have your priorities straight. :D

ctbruce
06-25-2018, 02:49 AM
Thanks a lot, I'm trying to diet!

Harleydodge
06-25-2018, 03:05 AM
Just curious here, but has anyone with the Balckstone converted it to a quick connect?
I can't really tell from the pictures ptooti posted whether it is easily converted or not.

Javi
06-25-2018, 04:07 AM
Just curious here, but has anyone with the Balckstone converted it to a quick connect?
I can't really tell from the pictures ptooti posted whether it is easily converted or not.

I haven't done mine yet... (will soon) but it isn't difficult at all... in fact there are youtube videos if you need them... but I figure most folks can figure it out easily enough..

Harleydodge
06-25-2018, 04:29 AM
I haven't done mine yet... (will soon) but it isn't difficult at all... in fact there are youtube videos if you need them... but I figure most folks can figure it out easily enough..

Thanks Javi, I expected it would be easy, but sometimes they make it difficult to remove the existing regulator. Glad this isn't the case with the blackstone. I may invest in one.

LuvsPalmTrees
06-25-2018, 04:44 AM
My husband bought himself a "Mother's Day Gift" and purchased a Blackstone 17" flat top and we take a Weber Smokey Joe for BBQ. We do have a Coleman 2 burner if we need it but he loves the flat top. He use to be a short order cook so it brings him back great memories and he can cook a really good breakfast on it.

PbMax1972
06-25-2018, 04:46 AM
I bought a couple of grilling mats from Menards to place on anything where I'm concerned about heat from a grill or something causing damage to. They are 30"x40" and made of a fiber cement. Heat and moisture resistant. I have used with several grills on plastic tables with no problems. They really block the heat.

Mrchipz
06-25-2018, 07:22 AM

We just used our 17" Blackstone for the first time. They are great!!! Gonna be standard equipment going forward. We also purchased the carrying case for the Blackstone and it makes hauling it around very easy.

ptooti
06-25-2018, 03:17 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::lol::lol::lol::lol: I'm working on it"Barely have time for a drink while preparing." Ptooti, you obviously don't have your priorities straight. :D

sourdough
11-07-2018, 04:18 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread for further input.

Gave away the Coleman NexTrip this spring before we left FL. Bought the Blackstone (absolutely love it) but chose not to bring it to FL this round. Just received our new Q2200 and put it together. Bought the griddle hoping to have the ability (to some degree) to cook like we do on the Blackstone. Problem;

How long does it take a 12k btu Weber to get hot? I've had it at max for over an hour and I'm at 400 degrees. I was going to try to season the griddle for it but I'm afraid it may be an all night affair. Is this normal? How do you sear meat without spending an inordinate amount of time waiting for it to get marginally hot?

Just got it, the cart, covers, griddle and accessories and told DW that it looked like it was time to gift this to some soul in the park and look for "a better way". So many love these things....what am I missing or doing wrong?>

MSB1766
11-07-2018, 04:27 PM
Here is where you can get Weber and Blackstone connections to the RV.
http://propanegear.com/

sourdough
11-07-2018, 04:38 PM
Here is where you can get Weber and Blackstone connections to the RV.
http://propanegear.com/

Don't know who the link is for but I was just trying to get a little insider info on the use of the Weber Q2200 - thinking I want to get me something a bit different that …."works".

66joej
11-07-2018, 06:01 PM
Don't know who the link is for but I was just trying to get a little insider info on the use of the Weber Q2200 - thinking I want to get me something a bit different that …."works".

Danny this is by no means a commercial for Weber but we bought a 2200 with stand etal. DW does all the grilling I only do the "bullcook stuff". She starts it up and in about 15 minutes it's up to 450F. Maybe yours has a restriction in the orifice. This one sure beats the piece of crap that came with the TT. Been using it for years until the Weber. Happy wife happy life. I do the beverage duties and very good at it I must say.
Hope you didn't end up getting one for natural gas.

sourdough
11-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Danny this is by no means a commercial for Weber but we bought a 2200 with stand etal. DW does all the grilling I only do the "bullcook stuff". She starts it up and in about 15 minutes it's up to 450F. Maybe yours has a restriction in the orifice. This one sure beats the piece of crap that came with the TT. Been using it for years until the Weber. Happy wife happy life. I do the beverage duties and very good at it I must say.

Thanks Joe! What you describe is what I was expecting. It is brand new, out of the box and I'm so disappointed. I bring lots of good quality beef from TX when I come here simply because it is impossible to come by here. The performance of the Weber leaves me very much uncomfortable as a good grill. You can't use a gas grill that takes over an hour to reach 400 degrees. I can't believe that all the folks that love this grill wait that long to heat it up....and then, once opened...do we wait another hour for it to get back to "heat" level?

Just went out again and looked at it. Don't think there is a blocked orifice. It looks just like a 12k burner would look to me...kind of low. I do have the griddle on one side of the grill so that may make the temps a little off but...if that makes this thing "not cook", I have no use for it. Looking for any answers/thoughts. As most know, I have no patience for this kind of stuff...but not sure what the answer would be...unless I bought another Coleman, which seems a bit silly.

travelin texans
11-07-2018, 06:19 PM
Are you connecting to a built in port on the rv? Is it before or after the regulator? If it's after you'll need to remove the regulator from the Weber or it WILL take forever to heat up. If it's before you have a defective grill or regulator on the grill, call Weber.

sourdough
11-07-2018, 06:45 PM
I am using the small throw away bottles. Used them for years for all kinds of stuff but they are not working for this.

Chris P
11-08-2018, 02:52 AM
I have a small Treager pellet grill that I carry in the bed of my truck,I plan on mounting it to the campers grill mount,Only thing with the pellet grill is you need pellets and 120v .But it is great for everything and you get smoke flavor.

notanlines
11-08-2018, 02:58 AM
Danny, I believe we are in our third or fourth year with our 2200 and it won't come with us this year. I have tried everything under the sun to get it to grill a steak and it ain't gonna happen. I finally took the orifice out and drilled it to I believe .0625 1/16 inch or just slightly bigger than factory. It helped a little, but not much. Every know-it-all in our RV park has had their hand at fixing it, to no avail. Ever have to slow-roast a 20 oz ribeye? The grill is a piece of garbage.

bware454
11-08-2018, 03:11 AM
I too have drilled out the orifice in my weber AND increased the air intake area, that baby really "cooks" now!

roadglide
11-08-2018, 07:54 AM
I have 1000 with legs and side traies converted to connect to the impact. My 1000 dosent have the thermometer but it heats fast . I use foil sheets from dollar General.

RaptorJB
11-08-2018, 07:55 AM
I'm still using the Char-Griller Akorn Jr. Still have the TT grill with gas a backup or other things. The Akorn Jr. can reach 700 degrees np if needed, can also slow cook BBQ all day np. I still need the Blackstone Table Top Grill - 17 Inch for breakfast food. Another nice about the Akorn Jr it fits in the slide out tray in the cargo area on the Raptor 425TS. Clean up is easy the next morning, it has a drop pan that disconnects to dump ashes. Parts are also easy to find... JB

sourdough
11-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Update: I fiddled with the 2200 today dismantling everything and putting it back together. Didn't really see anything but it did seem to run a bit hotter when it was all back together this time. Guess I'll try cooking on it tomorrow (tonight is Cedar Key clams, stone crab and oysters). If it won't work tomorrow I'll get something else and give the 2200 away when we get to our regular little park in December. Hoping for the best....

B-O-B'03
11-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Hi Danny,

I have never had any issues grilling steaks, burgers, chicken, sausage, etc on my 2200Q.

I do not grill with the griddle on though, wonder if that makes a difference?

The only time I put the griddle on is for breakfast; bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc.

-Brian

sourdough
11-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Hi Danny,

I have never had any issues grilling steaks, burgers, chicken, sausage, etc on my 2200Q.

I do not grill with the griddle on though, wonder if that makes a difference?

The only time I put the griddle on is for breakfast; bacon, eggs, pancakes, etc.

-Brian

Thanks Brian. I'm hoping all is well tomorrow when I put it to use. I had the griddle on because my first job with it was to try to season it. It was pretty rough and looked like seasoning it a bit would help it with not sticking. I had it on the fire for almost 2 hours and it just barely smoked....once (with oil on it). Maybe tomorrow will be much better.

Wingerdinger
11-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Sourdough, I think I would try it with a 20lb propane bottle, instead of the little bottles. I found a difference on our Coleman grille.
We just got a Blackstone Tailgater griddle/grille. We haven't cooked on it yet, but both the grille and griddle got plenty hot to season them.

sourdough
11-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Sourdough, I think I would try it with a 20lb propane bottle, instead of the little bottles. I found a difference on our Coleman grille.
We just got a Blackstone Tailgater griddle/grille. We haven't cooked on it yet, but both the grille and griddle got plenty hot to season them.

Thanks Douglas. If it doesn't work that is what I'll probably do. I didn't bring any midsize propane tanks and I have the low pressure quick connect on the trailer but doubt it would be any better + don't think I brought my hose for that either.

AbHDToyHauler
11-09-2018, 10:15 AM
We have the q1200 and it's worked fantastic?? I removed the factory regulator and hook it to the RV propane outlet. However even when I tried the small bottles it worked great. Steaks, chops, bacon. In fact I usually only use the 50% setting as it's plenty hot enough?
As someone else said maybe something is wrong with the orifice or regulator?

AbHDToyHauler
11-09-2018, 10:17 AM
Hmm did a bit of research and came up with this from the Weber site.
https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/burning-questions/why-wont-my-q-get-hot/weber-29909.html

RoscoeV
11-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Sourdough, I have the Weber Q and use the grill mats such as the ones in the link. I cut them to cover just 1/2 of the grill area otherwise it won't heat properly. That baby gets pretty hot and I grill steaks on it all the time. The mats are great because they clean up easily. I even cooked eggs on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Aoocan-Grill-5-100-Non-Stick-Baking/dp/B01HXQTNVK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1541790300&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=grill+pads&psc=1

sourdough
11-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Thanks all for all the help and ideas. I finally grilled this evening and things turned out much better than I expected. Cooked a 1 1/4" ribeye (large-we split) and some nice smoked sausage from TX. Heated up and cooked well. I was worried that the heat just wouldn't stay up trying to grill the steak but it did OK and it turned out just like I like it. Sausages will go into gumbo and beans and rice tomorrow. Have no idea what made it just not do anything when I first fired it up....seems to be much better now and I hope it stays that way.

Roscoe
11-10-2018, 10:29 AM
This is what I have been using for the last 2 few years camping.
https://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/portable-series/ptg-pellet-grill
this thing works just like the bigger pellet grills but is easy to carry around. Has a carrying cover with handles. Stores nice in the pass through storage and will smoke your meat or you can grill a steak at 500 degrees. I use a plastic 4 foot table from costco and have not had any heat issues with melting. Amazing little unit

Chris P
11-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Couldn't agree with you more Russell about the Treager,Fantastic little unit and they have a great warranty, I carry the pellets in a 5gal bucket and works great.

Roscoe
11-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Chris P.. if you have a newer traeger (2012 models and newer) if you look at the controller, to the left of the digital temp read out you will see a small little black rubber plug. if you pull that out and have a paper clip you insert the paper clip end into that hole and there is a small button inside there. If your ever smoking jerky or salmon or a brisket you are going to want to change what they call the P setting in the winter. the traegers come stock at p-2. in the winter time (anything below 50 degrees) i will change it to P-0 which is turning the auger on every 45seconds vs the stock setting at every 65 seconds. dont know if you ever use your traeger for smoking meats but i do and they always come out amazing..

Chris P
11-10-2018, 01:06 PM
I will check that out ! I do use it to smoke, Love the treager great size for camping, I have a big green egg,Weber gas grill and recently got a Green mountain grills pellet grill.

sourdough
11-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Not wanting to wear this out but I'm thinking the Q series may just not meet my expectations. Did a ribeye a couple of days ago and seemed the 2200 was going to be OK. Tried hamburgers tonite (4 med/large patties). It seems like the Q is more of a "slow cooker" of meats instead of a "grill". I did get the burgers off in about 20 minutes but that just isn't right for a grill. I have lots of grills of various kinds but 20 minutes to cook a 1/3-1/2 lb. pattie is just not right. It won't get over 400 and if you open the lid it hits 150 then takes 5+ minutes to get back to 400.

Don't know that there is a need for response. I just wanted to make the update. I had great hopes for a new "Weber Q grill". I am greatly disappointed. It doesn't have flare ups, but I guess you wouldn't if it never gets to "grilling" temps. I will give it one more shot whenever I have time to mess with it. Looks to me like this is a $400+ mistake (cart + accessories) that I need to give to someone that has more patience, or does not have the expectations, that I have.

Chris P
11-11-2018, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you really should step up to the pellet grill,No more fussing with propane or trying to drill out orifices which was scary to here.

sourdough
11-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Sounds like you really should step up to the pellet grill,No more fussing with propane or trying to drill out orifices which was scary to here.

Looked at the video of the Traeger pellet grill (camping). I'm not sure that it is a great "grill" for steaks etc. Smoker? Probably. Getting hot grill marks on a steak or burger and turning them out in a timely manner? I'm afraid it would be just like the Q I just bought - a slow cooker.