PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Well Covering

Eddie A.
06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
I was out replacing the crappy sheet metal screws on my fenders today with stainless screws and nylon nuts and found that on the passenger side the DARCO material has been shredded; I haven’t had any blow outs, so I’m not sure how it happened. My trailer has been in storage since January so it may have been critters, I dunno?

Anyhow, what have you all used to replace that material. I was thinking maybe some combination of Flex Tape and Flex Seal spray, but I’m up for other recommendations. I’ve seen recommendations for tin or aluminum but seems like it would be a pain to fit.

Thanks for any input!

willy3805
06-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Had a place cut me some 1/8 inch thick plastic and used self tapping screws to secure it. Works great.

JRTJH
06-07-2018, 08:21 PM
DARCO repair tape is called SCRIM tape and is available at any mobile home center or most RV service centers. It is designed to adhere to clean DARCO and repair the damage you see. Alternatively, you can buy COROPLAST (corrugated plastic) sheeting, cut it to size, install over the existing DARCO with screws and then seal the edges with a quality sealant (not silicone). Either should provide adequate repairs for 2 or 3 years.

DARCO is not a "lifetime component" although it usually lasts several years before it begins to "self destruct".... Towing in heavy rain, mud, on gravel roads will sling "stuff" from the tires, up onto the DARCO and in the right situations, will damage the fabric.

Since DARCO is not heavy, I wouldn't remove any of it (the remaining good parts still offer protection) and I'd try to repair what's damaged or recover the entire area with another layer of DARCO or with COROPLAST.