PDA

View Full Version : China bomb finally got me!

flybouy
06-06-2018, 11:06 AM
My first china bomb, tread separation on the inside sidewall and the inner tube ruptured.
Some facts:
Tires were properly inflated - no TPMS
Tire was not balanced
Tire was not hot
Age of tire - 3 years, 2 months
Speed was not an issue as it was "off road"
No damage to vehicle :)
Vehicle - small MTD Riding mower :lol:
Cost to replace - $42.50 and some sore muscles/busted knuckles :facepalm:

jsmith948
06-06-2018, 11:22 AM
My first china bomb, tread separation on the inside sidewall and the inner tube ruptured.
Some facts:
Tires were properly inflated - no TPMS
Tire was not balanced
Tire was not hot
Age of tire - 3 years, 2 months
Speed was not an issue as it was "off road"
No damage to vehicle :)
Vehicle - small MTD Riding mower [emoji38]
Cost to replace - $42.50 and some sore muscles/busted knuckles :facepalm:Was your mower overloaded?

flybouy
06-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Haven't checked for a weight label but that's a distinct possibility. I'm 6'3" and not exactly svelte

cynjon
06-06-2018, 02:34 PM
See? Investing in a TPMS could have alerted you to this impending disaster. Luckily no one was killed! :hornets:

Put a set of Sailuns on and you'll be GTG.

Number 4
06-06-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm betting you made some nice "alien crop circles" when the mower deck suddenly dropped.

Gegrad
06-06-2018, 03:10 PM
:D:lol: Great story. Did you happen to hit a rock with that mower wheel?

sourdough
06-06-2018, 04:11 PM
It's obvious that the damage was caused by speed, weight and overheating. A tpms would have been greatly beneficial to catch it before it happened. I would recommend going one size larger, one speed rating higher and one or two load ranges up. That will probably protect you in the future from this kind of misfortune. Thankfully there wasn't thousand of dollars in damage.....:whistling: :flowers: :D

66joej
06-06-2018, 05:39 PM
That looks like a snow tire. Not for use in the summer months so not surprised it overheated and blew. Also are those quality tools you are using?:lol::lol::lol:

flybouy
06-07-2018, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice! I did neglect to add that the deck was not engaged as I was towing a yard trailer with garden soil. No, haven't been to the Cat scales but I guess I could load it on the utility trailer and make the trip.:rolleyes:As this blow out occured on the steer axle I didn't think it was relevant as no WDH on the trailer (only effect of hitch wt would be a wheeli):eek: but the tractor does have an OEM front weight attached. Maybe I should check into a set of Bilstin's for the front.:cool:

MattE303
06-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Do you have the right class license for that rig?

flybouy
06-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Do you have the right class license for that rig?

My neighbors law service guys don't think I do. :whistling:

SUnderwood
06-08-2018, 01:17 PM
need to replace it with a LT tire

Pull Toy
06-08-2018, 03:10 PM
MOW MOW MOW YOUR BOAT....:popcorn:

flybouy
06-08-2018, 04:44 PM
Pull Toy you got that right! With the rain we have had this year I was thinking maybe replace the tires with pontoons.

Hodgy
06-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Very nice co-opting of the many threads we have all seen.

Made my day !

beemerguy
06-15-2018, 04:49 AM
this is funny, funny, and I was worried about my tires?

Corncob
06-15-2018, 10:28 AM
This is by far the THREAD OF THE YEAR! SO sick and tired of "tire-winers". Thank you Thank you Thank you for making my day.

MiMartin
06-15-2018, 10:47 AM
+1 My vote for the THREAD OF THE YEAR!

Thanks for the humor!

curly2001
06-18-2018, 11:54 AM
So if TPMS is all that good, which of all the brands are the most reliable? There seems to be a great debate on that subject somewhat less than tire brand.
Curly

flybouy
06-18-2018, 01:32 PM
The best brand TPMS (or truck, or trailer, or beer, or anything else) tends to be the brand that the person responding to the question has! I think it's human nature but I will say this, any brand is better than not having it, just look what happened to me!

travelin texans
06-18-2018, 02:11 PM
The best brand TPMS (or truck, or trailer, or beer, or anything else) tends to be the brand that the person responding to the question has! I think it's human nature but I will say this, any brand is better than not having it, just look what happened to me!

You are 100% correct!
That is not only TPMS brands, but trucks, tires, rvs, tire pressures, rv parks, do you camp at Walmarts. Just as you said, HUMAN NATURE.
Every post on this forum & any other is just one person's opinion/suggestion from their experiences, go form your own opinion, if the opinions/suggestions on here were of help then the forum is a success.
Another vote here for this being the threadof the year!

sourdough
06-18-2018, 03:23 PM
So if TPMS is all that good, which of all the brands are the most reliable? There seems to be a great debate on that subject somewhat less than tire brand.
Curly

TPMS IS all that good! As far as what is best...as flybouy said; it's in the eye of the beholder. The 2 most mentioned on this forum (seat of the pants memory) are TST and Tireminder. There are several different comparisons out there but if you're interested here's one I just opened and attached the link;

https://weekendrvadventures.com/best-rv-tpms/

66joej
06-18-2018, 05:01 PM
TPMS IS all that good! As far as what is best...as flybouy said; it's in the eye of the beholder. The 2 most mentioned on this forum (seat of the pants memory) are TST and Tireminder. There are several different comparisons out there but if you're interested here's one I just opened and attached the link;

https://weekendrvadventures.com/best-rv-tpms/

Good article Danny. I still use the old TT-400C Tire Traker I had in my 2011 5er. A bit outdated but still does the job of pressures and temps. I guess the message is use one!

Ken / Claudia
06-18-2018, 06:28 PM
My wheel barrow came with a China bomb tire also. The darn thing always needs aired up and going on 5 years, I slowed down the speed I push it at. I figured a blow out would happen today as I moved the scrap lap siding to the truck going to recycle. The stars must have been aligned, I made it, all 150 ft.

JRTJH
06-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Living on the edge there, Ken.... Be careful that your PF Flyers don't have a blow-out, that and the china bomb on your wheel barrow could put you in real jeopardy !!!

flybouy
06-19-2018, 09:43 AM
I've slowed down driving my wheelbarrow too but I'm afraid of blowing out the spare tire around my waist!:lol:

sourdough
06-19-2018, 10:03 AM
I've slowed down driving my wheelbarrow too but I'm afraid of blowing out the spare tire around my waist!:lol:

LOL!! I'm in the same boat. My spare is front mounted and I thought I would try to move it....but, DW has a rear mounted spare :hide: and said it's no better than the front - plus blowout repairs seem like they would be easier with the front mount - (looks like I came with a built in inflation port mid gut)!!:banghead: :lol:

I was going out to do some work in the yard today including moving some dirt in a wheelbarrow. Now, between the prospects of blowing out my U.S. Keds, the China bomb on the wheelbarrow exploding, heat buildup from driving too fast and blowing out my spare, I'm too worried about the whole thing. I just ate lunch, turned on the fan and think I'll take a snooze until I work myself up for such a trying task!!

Ken / Claudia
06-19-2018, 10:30 AM
Nice to have a laugh on here from time to time.