PDA

View Full Version : Water heater doesn't heat

Daisylady
06-05-2018, 08:40 AM
My 2017 Springdale isn't heating the water. It won't heat with either electric or gas. I have pushed the reset button on the outside of the camper and flipped the on/off switch. Is the first thing to change out the element? The dealership can't get to our place for a month. Thanks!

66joej
06-05-2018, 08:51 AM
The electric element 120 volt is separate from the gas. You only need 12 volts to operate when on propane mode. Have you turned the switch on at the control panel inside the trailer?

KeithInUpstateNY
06-05-2018, 08:58 AM
If neither is working my first thought at the beginning of the season is to check the bypass valves to be sure they are in the "summer" position and not still in the "winter" position. If you aren't sure which is which slowly start removing the drain plug to see if water starts coming out. If there is no water in the tank the bypass valve is still in the "winter" position.

travelin texans
06-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Which brand of water heater, Suburban or Atwood? They both heat water but operate a bit differently.
Instead of loosening the drain plug, just lift the lever slightly on the pressure relief valve, if water is there you know it's full.

sourdough
06-05-2018, 09:18 AM
First; is there water in the hwh? Check as pointed out above.

If it is full, then proceed.

Will it work on propane? It should irregardless of the AC portion or not. To check some of those things you will need to know if its Atwood or Suburban - differences in the way they operate.

Won't work on anything? Check voltages at the control board. Mine is an Atwood and had blown a tiny little fuse on the control board; unfortunately the fuse blew due to a defective diode. Cure? Replaced the board.

travelin texans
06-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Mine's a Suburban. It has 2 reset buttons on a black cover, that cover is over 2 thermostats, 1 - 12 volt & 1- 120 volt, the cover had pinched the 12 volt wires against the tank & shorted it out, no 12 volt = no hot water as it powers the control board. I had to repair the wires, buy a new thermostat, trimmed the cover & bent the metal lip over more & viola, hot water.

Daisylady
06-05-2018, 11:38 AM
It's a suburban. I'll check the pressure release valve.
We didn't winterize the camper...newbie mistake...so I'm afraid we've messed something up.

KeithInUpstateNY
06-14-2018, 09:47 AM
Any luck getting water heater working?