PDA

View Full Version : lug-nut covers

stevie wonder
06-05-2018, 06:29 AM
When I torqued the lug nuts on our Cougar 2017 GSG28 the socket slipped on the lug nut. It looks like the nuts have a cute cover. If so-- HOW DO YOU GET IT OFF ?

Stevie Wonder

1st Chev Diesel
06-05-2018, 07:02 AM
They should just pull off.

JRTJH
06-05-2018, 07:07 AM
There is a plastic lug nut cover that slips over the lug nuts, more for "dress-up" than for function. If you tried to torque the lug nuts with the covers on, you probably damaged the fragile plastic.

There is a tool that is specifically designed to remove the plastic covers, although any pliers with a protective cover, either rubber sleeves, dipped in Plasti-dip, wrapped with electrical tape or even a "strong set of fingers" will pull the plastic covers off the lug nuts.

Here's a photo of one of the multiple designs of tools for the job. Prices range from less than $10 to well over $50.

stevie wonder
06-05-2018, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys for the quick reply. I will take-off the "bling" and finish the job.

Stevie Wonder
On the 1000 mile shake-down trip from Charleston, SC, to New brunswick, CA and back.

KSH
06-06-2018, 09:25 AM
I saw a video that said the trailer should be jacked up to torque properly, is that correct? Just got new wheels and want to check torque after some miles.

travelin texans
06-06-2018, 09:56 AM
I saw a video that said the trailer should be jacked up to torque properly, is that correct? Just got new wheels and want to check torque after some miles.

IMHO that would be very difficult to torque them & keep them from spinning at the same time. When my truck tires are rotated at Discount Tire they always let the truck down before they torque.
I was taught when checking the torque to loosen then retorque. By constantly just torqueing without loosening will eventually stretch & break the lug nuts. Also to torque initially, drive a couple hundred miles then retorque & done til wheel is removed again, not necessary at every stop.