PDA

View Full Version : Finally, 1st camp outing with new Bullet

billsr
06-04-2018, 06:56 AM
Went camping with our RV that we purchased last Fall, over the Memorial Day weekend.
A few small issues, but nothing major. The Furrion TV only got 3 channels, which was absurd. Had the antenna booster turned on, but that didn't help. What would be a good antenna? Thought about buying a dish, but with its cost and the monthly plan, it's too much for us to swallow.

Had a freak wind come up and we nearly lost our awning, but with help from other campers, we held it down until the wind subsided, and were then able to roll it up, with no damage.

All in all we had a good time. Was going to take pictures, but forgot to take the camera with us.

I have decided to buy some 4 or 5 inch diameter pvc pipe, cap one end, drill a few holes in the pipe, glue on a threaded end for a screw cap, and mount it to the bottom of the rear bumper with stainless clamps, so we can store the waste hose in it, rather than in the bumper.

I also installed a battery switch so I can turn the battery off when the RV is stored to help prevent the battery from running down.

spade117
06-04-2018, 06:59 AM
Congrats, glad you had a good time.

What type of battery switch did you install?

buvens
06-04-2018, 08:08 AM
5" Square PVC fence posts and caps make good sewer hose holders.

sourdough
06-04-2018, 09:20 AM
You might think about a different location for that 5" pipe other than the bottom of the rear bumper. There are many, many circumstances where the bottom of the bumper, as it sits, will scape/almost scape the pavement.

Grjfer
06-04-2018, 10:08 AM
5" Square PVC fence posts and caps make good sewer hose holders.

Not to mention it is cheaper than PVC sewer pipe.

JRTJH
06-04-2018, 10:39 AM
I'd recommend the 5" square fence post cover with a piece of PVC gutter as a "drawer" inside the square post cover. It fits perfectly and prevents you from having to reach inside to get to the sewer hose that slide to the other end.....

As for location, if you have your "heart set on the bumper" then install it on top of the bumper or on top of the bumper supports that attach the bumper to the trailer frame. DON'T install it under the bumper, it likely won't survive the first camping trip and certainly won't survive the season.

If you had significant stress on your awning and had "several people helping hold it down" you should check the awning rail that's screwed to the side of the trailer to be sure none of the screws pulled loose during that windstorm. You may (probably won't) find any damage, but if the butyl putty separates on the top edge of the awning rail, you can "rot away" the entire side of your trailer without knowing there's any water intrusion from a loose screw/screws or damaged putty. Better safe than sorry ...

travelin texans
06-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Went camping with our RV that we purchased last Fall, over the Memorial Day weekend.
A few small issues, but nothing major. The Furrion TV only got 3 channels, which was absurd. Had the antenna booster turned on, but that didn't help. What would be a good antenna? Thought about buying a dish, but with its cost and the monthly plan, it's too much for us to swallow.

Had a freak wind come up and we nearly lost our awning, but with help from other campers, we held it down until the wind subsided, and were then able to roll it up, with no damage.

All in all we had a good time. Was going to take pictures, but forgot to take the camera with us.

I have decided to buy some 4 or 5 inch diameter pvc pipe, cap one end, drill a few holes in the pipe, glue on a threaded end for a screw cap, and mount it to the bottom of the rear bumper with stainless clamps, so we can store the waste hose in it, rather than in the bumper.

I also installed a battery switch so I can turn the battery off when the RV is stored to help prevent the battery from running down.

After raising the antenna, if necessary, booster on, go the the set up menu, set to antenna, then scan channels. If park cable, turn off booster, go to setup set to cable, scan channels. These steps must be done every time you move or change input to the tv.
I have the Winegard batwing with the little booster doodad on it & we typically get 50+ channels, several foreign language & religious channels, but always something to watch.
Not sure what rv you have, but it should've came with a battery disconnect, but on most rvs it doesn't disconnect everything, so a good modification on your part.

billsr
06-04-2018, 01:24 PM
I'd recommend the 5" square fence post cover with a piece of PVC gutter as a "drawer" inside the square post cover. It fits perfectly and prevents you from having to reach inside to get to the sewer hose that slide to the other end.....

As for location, if you have your "heart set on the bumper" then install it on top of the bumper or on top of the bumper supports that attach the bumper to the trailer frame. DON'T install it under the bumper, it likely won't survive the first camping trip and certainly won't survive the season.

If you had significant stress on your awning and had "several people helping hold it down" you should check the awning rail that's screwed to the side of the trailer to be sure none of the screws pulled loose during that windstorm. You may (probably won't) find any damage, but if the butyl putty separates on the top edge of the awning rail, you can "rot away" the entire side of your trailer without knowing there's any water intrusion from a loose screw/screws or damaged putty. Better safe than sorry ...

Actually, what we did was fold up the arms of the awning against the camper, and then held onto the bottom of the folded awning and arms until the wind subsided, so the awning mounting was not stressed. Then we let the arms down into the open position, and rolled up the awning using the power switch.

One of our friends did have a screw/bolt tear loose from their camper on the awing mounting. He repaired it and all is good for them.

billsr
06-04-2018, 01:28 PM
After raising the antenna, if necessary, booster on, go the the set up menu, set to antenna, then scan channels. If park cable, turn off booster, go to setup set to cable, scan channels. These steps must be done every time you move or change input to the tv.
I have the Winegard batwing with the little booster doodad on it & we typically get 50+ channels, several foreign language & religious channels, but always something to watch.
Not sure what rv you have, but it should've came with a battery disconnect, but on most rvs it doesn't disconnect everything, so a good modification on your part.

We have a 2018 Bullet Premier, 22RBPR. We cannot find anything to raise the antenna, and in fact, it looks like it sits up quite high already.

I turn on the TV, set antenna to "air", turn on the booster, and then run "auto scan". Still does not help. It is a Winegard antenna.

Did not find a battery disconnect, so I installed one so the Propane monitor, and 12 volt power to rado, etc. was shut off.

billsr
06-04-2018, 01:37 PM
Congrats, glad you had a good time.

What type of battery switch did you install?

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JGQLBV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

busterbrown
06-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Here's your sewer hose storage solution:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=211487&postcount=32

Tbos
06-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Check all your cable connections for the TV. The TV close to my amp does great but the one in the back doesn’t even get the same channels one day to the next. Im still trying to find time to troubleshoot that issue.

billsr
06-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Check all your cable connections for the TV. The TV close to my amp does great but the one in the back doesn’t even get the same channels one day to the next. Im still trying to find time to troubleshoot that issue.

Cable connections are tight. We are confused about a piece of cable that is attached to cable connections forming a U. What is that for?

retiredusps69
06-05-2018, 03:07 PM
I was going to do the same thing but use 5 inch vinyl fence post and mount on frame rail closer to drain valve.Alot less messy and frees up bumper for the clothes line.You could use pipe stamp with short wood screws up thru flooring.Im going to weld 2 brackets to the rail when i get the chance. Hope this helps you some

travelin texans
06-05-2018, 05:39 PM
We have a 2018 Bullet Premier, 22RBPR. We cannot find anything to raise the antenna, and in fact, it looks like it sits up quite high already.

I turn on the TV, set antenna to "air", turn on the booster, and then run "auto scan". Still does not help. It is a Winegard antenna.

Did not find a battery disconnect, so I installed one so the Propane monitor, and 12 volt power to rado, etc. was shut off.

If you have this antenna watch video,as how to raise it.
https://youtu.be/bUV1FOdcc4Q
Winegard also has an app for aiming your in the the direction of nearest signal.

billsr
06-06-2018, 03:30 AM
If you have this antenna watch video,as how to raise it.
https://youtu.be/bUV1FOdcc4Q
Winegard also has an app for aiming your in the the direction of nearest signal.

Thanks, but I have no crank handle on the inside of the RV for the antenna. It's supposedly a 360 degree omni-directional antenna, with no capability of raising or lowering it..

Tbos
06-06-2018, 03:32 AM
Cable connections are tight. We are confused about a piece of cable that is attached to cable connections forming a U. What is that for?

Not sure about that piece of cable. I’m guessing you’ll need to get out the multimeter to figure it out.

LuvsPalmTrees
06-07-2018, 07:56 AM
There are certain places that we only get couple of channels over the air. Even when the boost is on. I think partially is is the cheap televisions put in TT they don't have the best tuners in them. We don't watch too much when we are camping so it's not that big of a deal, but I like it in the morning to catch the weather. Eventually I want to replace the television and the antenna.

BadmanRick
06-10-2018, 07:50 AM
We have a 2011 Premier 19 FBPR. We have a wineguard batwing crank up antenna and I installed the Winegard RFL-342 SensarPro White TV Signal Strength Meter
Which has an adjustable signal booster and as you turn the antenna it gives the signal strength to the most powerful station. Then you can search for channels on the tv to get the most Channels available in the area.
As for your awning I have the Camco 42593 Awning Anchor Kit with Pull Tension Strap this has saved my awning many times when a high wind has come up.
I upgraded the ground screws with Yard Tuff YTF-1230RS-6PK Rebar Stakes, 1/2" x 30", 6 Pack
I also have a 10x10 canopy and use 4 of the stakes and straps to hold it down also. A little expensive but a lot less than having to replace the awning or canopy. Best insurance I have.
As far as the sewer hoses I keep 2 10 foot hoses in the bumper have done it since new. No unsightly pvc pipes on the back bumper. The bumper was designed for the sewer hose storage.
As far as a battery switch goes each to their own.
We keep our camper plugged in to home power. I installed a 30 amp box and plug. The onboard power converter float charges the battery so it is ready all the time.
Hope this helps happy camping.

Geothor
06-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Try storing your black hose in a flat/rectangular plastic Tupperware type container..from Walmart. Then store in your bullet storage area up front of trailer.

When you get home fill your container with 10% bleach and let soak (uncapped) over night to clean and sanitize.

Enjoy you bullet...have had ours since 2015 and loving it...

Grayghostcsa
06-12-2018, 05:25 AM
I know you were disappointed in only getting three channels on your TV. Consider where you were. The further you are away from "civilization" the fewer stations you will receive. Before you spend a lot of money try the setup in your driveway and at several other campgrounds. Signal boosters do not work when there is no signal. It may be that getting three channels only happened because of your booster.