PDA

View Full Version : Roof coating

fjr vfr
06-02-2018, 05:00 PM
I inherited 2 gallons of Dicor EPDM Rubber Roof Coating, both parts 1 and part 2. My trailer is a 2011 Keystone Laredo 265rl and from what I've read has a 12 year warranty on the roof.

So my questions, would there be any advantage in using this coating on a roof that doesn't leak and has some years left on it's warranty?

Second question, what is the shelf life for this stuff? Can I keep it a few years?

BTW, I asked the same questions at Dicors web site, (Contact Us) a week early and haven't heard anything back...I don't expect to at this point.

Thanks,
John

travelin texans
06-02-2018, 05:12 PM
My opinion is "if it ain't broke don't fix it"! From reading here & other forums probably 90% of roof problems are caused by faulty installation from the factory & that 12 year warranty DOES NOT cover that. The other 10% is from hitting limbs or other obstacles in which case should be covered by your insurance.

chuckster57
06-02-2018, 05:23 PM
I agree, leave it be. That stuff isn’t easy to apply and if You only have 2 gallons, it won’t go very far..BTDT.

Mikendebbie
06-02-2018, 06:30 PM
I would save that stuff for rehabbing that 19' long '74 Terry on Craigslist that you think would be cool to restore someday. Put the buckets on a shelf in the garage until then...and pass on the Terry!

fjr vfr
06-03-2018, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Pretty much what I thought, but worth asking since I have no experience with the stuff. My last trailer bit into a tree branch. I used the sticky roof repair tape to fix that.
As for the Terry, I'm getting too old for new projects. Plus I have plenty to do just keeping up with what I've got...lol

Thanks again

ProInspSvcs
06-26-2018, 04:45 AM
I would be happy if they developed a roof that was more durable. Not sure how everyone roof is lasting but at 5 years many problems, bubbles developing now. Not sure how to save it now.

Hey Louie
07-03-2018, 06:17 PM
On our last 5er I put the Dicor roof sealant on after 6 years. Was getting some chalking prior to applying. It was 34 foot, I applied 2 coats liberally and 2 gallons was plenty. I was very pleased with the results. It looked great and as an added benefit it had a bit of a texture to the surface which was nice when walking on the roof. Was it necessary maybe not but I was please when completed.
The worst part about applying was making off the side walls of the camper. I did that step the evening before with rolled plastic and making tape. Then got started the next morning. Step 1 just gets sprayed on with a pump sprayer then washed off work a power washer. Step 2 was like painting your roof. I cut in the edges and around all the vents etc... with a brush. The the rest with a roller. Entire process took about 7 hours. But that might vary according to the weather. I was lucky and had a sunny dry day.

fjr vfr
07-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the reply.

chuckster57
07-04-2018, 05:34 PM
A previous employer had me do a 27’ Class C motorhome. Worst part it was over 100 degrees and he was so cheap I had to use a 1” chip brush.