PDA

View Full Version : Shock retro fit

Sheepdip
06-02-2018, 09:10 AM
I recently installed shocks on both axles of my hideout 20rd tt. After two trips on back country gravel I am quite pleased with the result. The stove top stays put and no more little piles of sawdust under the cabinet face. Unit seems more stable on the pavement as well. Kit is from Lippert Components around $170 cdn Installation on the first one took a bit of messing around but quite smooth after that.

66joej
06-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Are they staggered or both mounted the same direction?

Sheepdip
06-02-2018, 11:57 AM
They are tilted forward on the front axle and rear ward on the rear, away from the equalizer and the swing shackle.

rhagfo
06-02-2018, 10:55 PM
Many will say they don’t feel a difference, I know it made a difference with our 5er!

Dave W
06-03-2018, 03:28 AM
Nice project:D

It looks like you may be in the market for some new springs in the next year or so - a suggestion would be to put the next spring rate heavier on which will make the bounces and dips even smoother then the shocks.

JRTJH
06-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Sheepdip,

Two comments: Well one question and one comment:

Question: You stated the cost was $170 cdn. Is that per axle or total for both axles?

Comment: As deeply as you dug into the suspension to install shocks, is there a reason why you didn't also install a wet bolt kit and heavier shackles?

bfisher003
06-03-2018, 06:47 AM
Nice project:D

It looks like you may be in the market for some new springs in the next year or so - a suggestion would be to put the next spring rate heavier on which will make the bounces and dips even smoother then the shocks.

That’s what I did when we broke a “mono” spring on our right rear in March. I had all four mono springs (~3,500 #) replaced with multi-leaf rated at ~4,000#. Stuff inside the trailer doesn’t move around nearly as much now.

lunge motorsport
06-03-2018, 07:43 AM
It's a very worthwhile upgrade. I did the same to a 26' travel trailer about 30 yrs ago. It improved the ride quality dramatically. The porpoise effect was nearly eliminated so the ride in the tow vehicle improved as well.

Flyboy
06-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Thanks for showing the pictures. I’m adding shocks to my 40’ Avalanche and haven’t been happy with what I’ve found on the market. So... I’m designing my own system. My question is how heavy of shock to use to get the perfect ride? My concern is that too heavy will make ‘jolts’ inside, and too light will do nothing. Any thoughts?...