PDA

View Full Version : RV GPSs

rsl
05-31-2018, 06:25 PM
So I have been using Smart RV Route for my android phone and it seems to work pretty ok (has me take some intercity roads and twists and turning backroads rom time to time), but it is set to expire the end of this year. I am trying to decide if I should renew it or go with a standalone dash RV unit. What is everyone's preference and pros and cons?

RV Smart Route (renewal is $ for 3 years)
Garmin RV GPS
Rand McNally RV GPS
Good Sam Rand McNally RV GPS

SC Dreamer
06-01-2018, 03:07 AM
Following.... thinking hard about Garmin 770, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

arch113
06-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Following.... thinking hard about Garmin 770, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Same here, haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Mikendebbie
06-01-2018, 01:42 PM
X2 haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
The price of the garmin 770 is making me seriously consider the 660.
Not sure I understand the advantage of the 770 bluetoothing to the iPhone for traffic and (I believe weather) vs the 660 which gets traffic via fm signal (I think). I need to read more reviews and opinions in all the forums.

My current garmin (which is maybe 2008 vintage) has the fm traffic and it is generally dead nuts on for driving in the city.

Pull Toy
06-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Before you pull the trigger, consider Magellan GPS. That's all I've used for the last twenty years. Always gets me there! Good software, lifetime map and database updates available on most units. Lots of other bells and whistles. (Bluetooth etc. Traffic warning, alternate routing)

http://www.magellangps.com/Search_5?search=RV

They usually have a limited supply of quality rebuilts for sale for a major discount. Never had a problem yet.

Good Luck,

Frank G
06-01-2018, 02:39 PM
We have been using the Garmin RV760LTM for the past two years and would not be without it. Yes I am biased, and it is paired with the phone. We will never get another vehicle with onboard navigation. It seams like every trip we find new (to us) features.

captcolour
06-01-2018, 03:57 PM
I had the 770 for a month before I returned it. It didn't have accurate GPS -- kept thinking I was not on the route I was supposed to be on. Showed me driving in rivers, access roads, etc. Returned it for the 660. 660 had better reviews and has been great. Plus having the traffic on the unit is a plus in my opinion.

Canonman
06-01-2018, 04:07 PM
DW is the assigned Navigator and Ultimate Cruise Director. We like MAPS!! Real, foldable, take 'em out and read em and plan ahead maps. My younger brother is a retired Nevada Highway Patrol trooper assigned to eastern Nevada literally in the middle of nowhere. He has lots of stories of folks stranded on dirt roads out of gas and no help in sight because they believed their GPS.
All I'm say'n is get what ever GPS looks good to you. Just don't forget to take a map along and don't give up on good common sense when following the electronic directions supplied by a voice programmed by some "snowflake" who probably hasn't traveled 50' from his parents basement couch:)

66joej
06-01-2018, 04:25 PM
You are right Canonman! We have been directed to go across a pedestrian walk bridge in a large city with the big 5er we had at the time. Some GPS units are not so great. Maps can't give inaccurate info. Just hard to get them sometimes.

rsl
06-03-2018, 03:26 PM

Tbos
06-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Just bought a Garmin 660 based on several reviews. Don’t know how well it’ll work yet. In the Williamsburg VA area it kept telling me the roads I was on were unknown for RVs in regard traveling with my 39’ 5er. I was testing it in just the truck to see if it would allow me to go under some of the low bridges.