PDA

View Full Version : Arisun Tire Good/Bad??

mcomeaux
05-29-2018, 06:43 PM
Just purchased a Keystone Fuzion with Arisun's installed on it OEM.
Having been in the tire industry for a period of 40 yrs I'm a bit apprehensive running Chinese tires. I've seen more than a share of failures and damage to trailers as a result of off shore tires. Not wanting to start a brand war but rather hear what kind of success/failures user's are experiencing with off-shore brands. Goodyear lost traction in the trailer/Rv market and subsequently brought their molds and production back to the mainland after an affair with China production practice's. My research is showing Goodyear as only American Made ST235/85R16 G Rated.

bobbecky
05-29-2018, 09:14 PM
Besides the G614, Goodyear is now making the Endurance in the USA. https://www.tirebuyer.com/trailer/goodyear/endurance/style/530090

Tinner12002
05-30-2018, 02:04 AM
Is your Fuzion new or used because when we were looking at them they were using Sailun tires from the factory?? Several people including myself will recommend the Sailuns even though they are also made in China. Great tire for a heavy hauler and not heard of any issues with them.

mcomeaux
05-30-2018, 04:49 AM
Mine was a new model that was a slow seller...
I looked at the Goodyear Endurance but it showed only in E Rating 10 ply.
I'm seeing the Sailun as a preferred tire my confidence level in Chinese is very low considering the failures in others produced there. Interesting though sounds like the Sailun's are proven here...

JRTJH
05-30-2018, 05:04 AM
There are probably 50-75 members with Sailun tires on the forum and I can't recall anyone posting a negative comment about them. That's no guarantee that you won't be the first to experience a problem, but ......

If I were in the market for new "G" rated tires, I'd seriously consider Sailun as my first choice. I haven't read anything bad about them, although I don't frequent tire forums, just RV forums where there's "limited" tire discussion.

KYFamily
05-30-2018, 10:37 AM
I've had Sailuns on my Avalanche going on two years and couldn't be happier. When I first bought them and compared them to my old tires I couldn't believe the difference. Almost blew out my scrotum trying to get them on the hub. Since I bought mine, my brother and another friend have bought them. They are that good but that's my humble opinion.

CWtheMan
05-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Mine was a new model that was a slow seller...
I looked at the Goodyear Endurance but it showed only in E Rating 10 ply.
I'm seeing the Sailun as a preferred tire my confidence level in Chinese is very low considering the failures in others produced there. Interesting though sounds like the Sailun's are proven here...

The new GY tire for 7K axles is a wider tire. At LRE it provides 4080# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

GY Endurance ST255/85R16E

mikz86ta
05-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Our 2016 Fuzion has them. Seem sturdy and no issues. I was skeptical about them also and did a fine amount of research......no negatives found

travelin texans
05-30-2018, 11:48 AM
For less than the price of replacing 3 of 4 GY 614s G rated I was able to buy 4 Sailun 17.5" H rated tires, wheels, center caps & lug nuts shipped to my door & don't regret the decision one bit.
Some will say overkill, I say plenty of safety margin & no more tire worries.

CWtheMan
05-30-2018, 11:49 AM
Arisun Tire Good/Bad??

Having been in the tire industry for a period of 40 yrs I'm a bit apprehensive running Chinese tires. I've seen more than a share of failures and damage to trailers as a result of off shore tires. Not wanting to start a brand war but rather hear what kind of success/failures user's are experiencing with off-shore brands. Goodyear lost traction in the trailer/Rv market and subsequently brought their molds and production back to the mainland after an affair with China production practice's. My research is showing Goodyear as only American Made ST235/85R16 G Rated.

Tredit has been a long time provider of OEM wheel/tire assemblies for Keystone RV trailers.

Below is one of their web sites.

http://www.tredittire.com/tires

Even though they provide the new GY endurance brand, I doubt Keystone would approve a tire of another size as an option.

mikz86ta
05-30-2018, 12:30 PM
For less than the price of replacing 3 of 4 GY 614s G rated I was able to buy 4 Sailun 17.5" H rated tires, wheels, center caps & lug nuts shipped to my door & don't regret the decision one bit.

Nice! Pretty sweet rims

mcomeaux
05-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Are the wheels rated for our trailer use?
What is the price point and supplier....
Thanks for all the input from users regarding my questions. I've read up on the investors and the start up and sounds like a solid Mfg.

mcomeaux
06-04-2018, 09:24 AM
CW are you currently running Goodyears?

travelin texans
06-04-2018, 10:36 AM
I got mine from Performance Trailer Braking, but they no longer offer the Sailuns.
On another forum a fellow said he bought wheels one place & GY 114s somewhere else for nearly $2400, the Sailun tires should be $600+ cheaper.

CWtheMan
06-04-2018, 01:23 PM
CW are you currently running Goodyears?

Not on our 5er. On it we've been using a very unpopular ST brand for more than 10 years and thousands of miles in more than 40 states. They are easy to find when needed and have always performed well for us. They provide 18% of load capacity reserves above the axles maximum load capacity and we never travel overloaded.

When we were full timing it, we scaled our rig at least twice a year. Now we scale it after loading-up for any trip. We like to know just how much fluid weight we can carry and what we can add and bring home from our adventures.

Right on the Cedar River, American Legion Post 137, Jacksonville, FL.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=14111

jim8588
06-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Just made my first trip from Michigan to Charleston SC and back on new Goodyear Endurances. Love them. Temps ran 20 degrees cooler than old tires and they were great in very heavy freeway rain and tracked well in wind. No sway. I have a 321FRL fifth wheel Sydney edition. Blew out one of the the OEM (cant remember what brand) and replaced all 4 late last year. Will buy them again down the road. (They are made in the US with extra sidewall protection)

MisaLetet
06-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Our 2016 Fuzion has them. Seem sturdy and no issues. I was skeptical about them also and did a fine amount of research......no negatives found

We have the Arisun's on our rig as well. They have fared well on the trip from the dealership in Turlock to Apple Valley California (350 miles) and a long trip from Apple Valley to Missoula Montana (1135 miles). We will be bringing it back to California from Montana next weekend. I will let you know if we have any issues ;)

Fuzion 369
06-07-2018, 02:54 PM
We have sailuns on our fuzion as well. So far no issues and look like they are wearing well.

Retired CSIGuy
06-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Been in the tire business many, MANY years. Sold em ALL over the years. RV mfgs, just like car/truck mfgs, buy tires in bulk, and they grab WHATEVER is handy when they are slapping tires on the finished unit. Usually any “TS” (trailer service) tire is the CHEAPEST tire they can find. Doesn’t matter the brand. If you’re going to leave the TS tire on the rig, you should chk the mfg date. It will be on the sidewalk as two numerals i.e. 06/17, or 6/17. That means the was manufactured the 6th week of 2017. Those tires may have sat stacked in a warehouse for months, if not years. NEVER , EVER accept your rig if the tires are over a year old. The first chance you get, pull the crap TS tires off and put LT (Light Truck) tires, min 10ply, Load Range E minimum on the rig and ALWAYS keep them at max pressure (also on the sidewall) stored or on the road

Fuzion 369
06-07-2018, 06:14 PM
I do need to check date. When I do switch them yes I have heard light truck tires are the way to go. Just need to make sure they are rated for the weight of 5r loaded

lonewolftx
06-08-2018, 04:50 AM
I have the Arisuns on my Fuzion 420. Bought it in Sept 2015, 2016 model year. Have run over 12,900 miles the past 2 yrs 9 months. Tires are wearing great. Never had an issue. I use a TPMS on them and they are filled to the 110 lbs of air. I did get a nail in one and had it patched from the inside and it’s doing fine 2,000 miles later. Spare has never been used.:cool:

MattE303
06-08-2018, 11:28 AM
I have the Sailuns on our Carbon, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. Just handling the unmounted tires I could tell a vast difference in quality between the Sailuns and the LRE "Trailer Kings" that came stock. I run them at 90psi (trailer placard specifies min 80 psi) for extra load capacity while still compliant enough for a smooth ride.

ChuckS
06-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Nothing wrong with those G rated Airsun tires. All the hype about Chinese tires is hype. What matters... I think is an under rated tire for the load being towed, under inflated, and towing too fast...

The exception for me is .... Trailer King ST or Towmax ST... wouldn’t use on my wheel barrow.

I run a Chinese Geo Star G rated 14 tire on my Alpine. 235/85x16 at 110 psi cold. Tow at 62.

On my fourth season and I have no issues nor do I have any worries.

Down the road when I need to replace I’m either staying with my current Chinese tires or gonna use the Chinese Sailun G rated tires. Either is remarkably superb to anything that Trailer King builds.

beemerguy
06-13-2018, 09:54 AM
I have the Arisuns tires on my Fuzion. Have been to Pennsylvania and Florida with no problems. But will give a good test on these tires when I travel to California and then to Florida for the winter. I will let the Forum know how they hold up.
What tire pressure are most of you running in these tires? I keep the weight down and always have it weighed at a truck scale; usually at a Pilot.

ron

kjbrooks
06-13-2018, 11:52 AM
I had Arisuns on my 2015 Fuzion 345. I had probably around 12k pounds total on both axles and had to make a tight turn in a campground. A few hundred miles later back home, I noticed one tire had lots of cord showing on one edge. After a few measurments, found the axle was bent on that one side. The Arisuns tires have very hard sidewalls and don't flex in the tight turns, and I'm convinced that this is why that axle bent. Replaced the one axle and want to Sailuns. I'm lucky that tire didn't have a blow out.

Kevin

beemerguy
12-24-2018, 10:38 AM
I have been from Georgia to California and back, with our winter stay now in Florida. My Arisuns tires show no problems what so ever. I use a TPMS and set the tire to 100 psi. I set my speed at 65 mph. Once again, no problems. These are the best tires I have had, and I have been RVing for over 20 years.

ron

sandppy
01-05-2019, 01:51 PM
I am looking to replace my Oem tires arisun. I every body say I need G rated but with 7000lbs axles the good e rated is 3640, and steel belted construction will many of the Chinese g rated are nylon belt and still on have 3640lbs rating?????

CN someone explain why I need G if the E has the same load capacity. From my research load capacities have a min and a max and many over lap

Snoking
01-05-2019, 02:40 PM
I am looking to replace my Oem tires arisun. I every body say I need G rated but with 7000lbs axles the good e rated is 3640, and steel belted construction will many of the Chinese g rated are nylon belt and still on have 3640lbs rating?????

CN someone explain why I need G if the E has the same load capacity. From my research load capacities have a min and a max and many over lap

Size for size, no E rated tire(max 80 PSI inflation) will have the same weight rating of a LRG tire (max 110 PSI inflation) in the same size.

CWtheMan
01-05-2019, 03:28 PM
This is just an observation comment.

The TRA is the authority for tire load capacity standardizations.

My observation of the lower picture in post #21 displays the materials of a steel cased ST tire, size ST235/85R16 LRG. The TRA standard load capacity for that tire is 4400# @ 110 PSI. The one in the picture is depicting the load capacity of a ST235/80R16 LRG, tire of that size (4080#). Somewhere, there is a rat in that nest.

Snoking
01-05-2019, 03:43 PM
This is just an observation comment.

The TRA is the authority for tire load capacity standardizations.

My observation of the lower picture in post #21 displays the materials of a steel cased ST tire, size ST235/85R16 LRG. The TRA standard load capacity for that tire is 4400# @ 110 PSI. The one in the picture is depicting the load capacity of a ST235/80R16 LRG, tire of that size (4080#). Somewhere, there is a rat in that nest.

Is there anything that says a manufacturer can not label a tire at a lower rating than what other manufacturer do?

The 129/125L on the sidewall matches up at 4079 single. You should be contacting them and finding out about that rat in the nest.

CWtheMan
01-05-2019, 03:48 PM
Size for size, no E rated tire(max 80 PSI inflation) will have the same weight rating of a LRG tire (max 110 PSI inflation) in the same size.

The Sailun ST235/80R16 LRG has a maximum load capacity of 4080# @ 110 PSI.

The Goodyear endurance ST255/85R16 LRE has a maximum load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI.

Not the same size but I'll bet we'll see them on new trailers that are built to allow for their 33" height and 10" section width.

Snoking
01-05-2019, 03:51 PM

The Goodyear endurance ST255/85R16 LRE has a maximum load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI.

Reading dynamics! Different size tire. I stated in the same size! ST235/80R16 and ST255/85R16 are different sizes. Chris

CWtheMan
01-05-2019, 03:56 PM
Reading dynamics! Different size tire. I stated in the same size! ST235/80R16 and ST255/85R16 are different sizes. Chris

I covered that.

Snoking
01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
I covered that.

In an edit!

CWtheMan
01-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Is there anything that says a manufacturer can not label a tire at a lower rating than what other manufacturer do? Not that we the public would know about.

The 129/125L on the sidewall matches up at 4079 single. You should be contacting them and finding out about that rat in the nest.

It's my understanding the tire manufacturer can build a tire to lower or higher specs but must inform NHTSA they are doing so.

It's being displayed on the sidewall as a steel cased tire with a load capacity of another closely related steel cased tire. To me it's a colored flag of some sort. But, as I said, it's just my observation. Were it my tire I'd demand verification from it's manufacturer. Tires are often recalled because they were built from the wrong mold which does not match their standardized specifications.

CWtheMan
01-05-2019, 04:09 PM
In an edit! Or an unfinished post.

Badbart56
01-05-2019, 04:16 PM

Not the same size but I'll bet we'll see them on new trailers that are built to allow for their 33" height and 10" section width.

I'm running Super Cargo SC126 Commercial ST235/85/16 Radial Tires 14 ply that also have a 4080 lb load capacity. Are you saying that the load should be higher?

CWtheMan
01-05-2019, 04:56 PM
I'm running Super Cargo SC126 Commercial ST235/85/16 Radial Tires 14 ply that also have a 4080 lb load capacity. Are you saying that the load should be higher?

Are they steel cased? I'm pretty sure that the early tires of that size were polyester and had the lower load capacity.

It's not uncommon for ST tire manufacturers to differ with their load capacities with the same size tires. The ST235/80R16 LRE is a prime example. They were produced with load capacities or 3420#, 3500# & 3520# all at 80 PSI. The rule for that is for all load capacities to default to the lowest published load capacity unless the installer of those tires (vehicle manufacturer) documents them at the value on their sidewall. It must be made official by informing NHTSA.

If the designated tire size, ST235/85R16 LRG is being produced by manufacturers declaring different load capacities for them, it's going to create an administrative problem for trailer manufacturers using them on 8000# axles. Under FMVSS standards both load capacities (4080# & 4400#) qualify for fitment on 8000# axles. However, only the 4400# tire will provide the 10% load capacity reserves for fitment to 8000# vehicle manufacturer certified GAWRs. It appears that all members (about 98%) of the RVIA are complying with their 10% load capacity recommendation.

Badbart56
01-05-2019, 05:16 PM
4 steel plies tread, 1 steel ply sidewall. Manufacture date is 2016. These are on my toy hauler (6 tires) so maybe 7000 lb. axles? Don't know if that makes a difference.

sourdough
01-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Snoking, it's just me; As one that follows this thread/forum constantly I wonder what the fascination is for you following CW? I think, maybe, you have something positive to contribute to the forum but, man, you seem obsessed with CW to me....to the detriment of everyone on the forum. As I've said in the past, CW puts out lots of good info, sometimes very detailed, but is very informational. You have made a few posts that are beneficial but generally you ghost CW and harass him. That's not cool to me. Do you have something of benefit for the members....on every post? Sorry, but I get so tired of the meaningless jabs at someone that only tries to help.

CWtheMan
01-06-2019, 01:55 AM
4 steel plies tread, 1 steel ply sidewall. Manufacture date is 2016. These are on my toy hauler (6 tires) so maybe 7000 lb. axles? Don't know if that makes a difference.

I've been researching these steel cased tires for some time now and I'm still not clear as to why some of them in the same size designation (ST235/85R16 LRG) are being given different load capacities by different manufacturers.

For comparisons; the new Carlisle CSL 16 (all steel ST tires) comes in two designated sizes, ST235/80R16 LRG rated at 4080# @ 110 PSI and ST235/85R16 LRG rated at 4400# at 110 PSI. The Sailun brand also manufactures both of those designated sizes with identical load & psi capacities. However, Greenball lists their steel cased tires (TowMaster) in that size as both having the same load capacity, 4080# @ 110 PSI. As do others I can find specs for.

No trailer manufacturer that wants to keep their RVIA membership will use that 4080# tire on 8000# vehicle certified GAWR axles. BUT, they will derate them (axles) to do so, if there becomes a monetary advantage to do so.

If there is someone on here that is a member of the TRA or has access to their tire documents (confidential), could give us an explanation as to why the two different load capacities are being used on a tire of the same designated size and construction.

CWtheMan
01-06-2019, 01:59 PM
This is an official tire size designation, ST235/85R16. It may be manufactured with more than one load range, such as LRE or LRG. Each load range normally has a standardized maximum load capacity and all tires with the same size designation and load range will conform to a standardized load inflation chart.

For reasons unknown by us users, different tire manufacturers may differ in maximum load capacity for the same designated tire size with the same load range letter. This seems to be happening with the ST235/85R16 LRG tires in todays market place. Some of the brand name manufacturers are using 4080# @ 110 PSI as their tires maximum load capacity and other brand name manufacturers are using 4400# @ 110 PSI for their tires maximum load capacity.

The situation is compounded by another similar tire size designation; the ST235/80R16 LRG has a single maximum load capacity of 4080# @ 110 PSI.

All of the 4080# tires legally qualify in accordance with FMVSS as Original Equipment fitments for vehicle certified 8000# GAWR axles. However, when the RVIA 10% load capacity reserve recommendation is applied they will not meet the requirements of that RVIA recommendation.

Now, the reason for rehashing this obvious problem. In my last post I used my own words to describe how tires with the same size designation and load range letter could also disqualify the 4400# tire on those 8000# axles if not properly identified or better identified. So I went to the FMFSS and copied, verbatim, the words the FMVSS uses to describe the situation. It's complicated and a lot of owners are going to install the wrong tires without knowing they did so.

"Each tire shall conform to each of the following: Its load rating shall be that specified in a submission made by an individual manufacturer, pursuant to one of the publications described for its size designation, type and each appropriate inflation pressure. If the maximum load rating for a particular tire size is shown in more than one of the publications described each tire of that size designation shall have a maximum load rating that is not less than the published maximum load rating, or if there are differing maximum load ratings for the same tire size designation, not less than the lowest published maximum load rating."

Will the trailer manufacturer inform owners which load capacity tire is used and if it's been derated in any way?

A similar situation has always been present with the designated size ST235/80R16 LRE tires. It became very apparent when a trailer manufacturer fitted certified GAWR 7000# axles with the two load capacities that qualified for that fitment, to later find themselves in a NHTSA recall situation for not properly identifying the tires load capacities. How many of you have 7000# axles derated to 6840? divide that by 2.....They were manufactured with three different load capacities, 3420#, 3500# & 3520# all @ 80 PSI. Many of the unpopular brands had the 3520# rating and were replaced with a more popular brand with a 3420# rating. A counter productive action, given that most trailer manufacturers were not providing more than a few percentage points in load capacity reserves, if any at all with their OEM tires. I often got hammered when I saw a tire post about using replacement tires with a 3420# on Certified 7000# axles and said something about it. (Maxxis was the popular brand. Their tires in that size description and load capacity are still rated at 3420#).

CWtheMan
01-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Check-it-out...….…… I'm still looking around for this tire size. If this information contains actual TRA approved load capacities, it's really going to put another wrinkle in what is already becoming a mind bending load capacity conundrum for this tire's designated size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PREMIUM-TRAILER-TIRES-235-80-16-PRO-METER-ALL-STEEL-ST235-80R16-14PLY-RATED-/132906495005?hash=item1ef1d82c1d

Scroll all the way down.

Snoking
01-08-2019, 05:28 PM
It only reinforce what we have know for many years, that ST ratings were very fluid. Chris

Fishsizzle
01-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Check-it-out...….…… I'm still looking around for this tire size. If this information contains actual TRA approved load capacities, it's really going to put another wrinkle in what is already becoming a mind bending load capacity conundrum for this tire's designated size.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PREMIUM-TRAILER-TIRES-235-80-16-PRO-METER-ALL-STEEL-ST235-80R16-14PLY-RATED-/132906495005?hash=item1ef1d82c1d

Scroll all the way down.

Not even 4K rated. On a 14ply tire!