PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator ice maker not working

benny53
05-27-2018, 12:47 PM
My refrigerator ice maker has stopped making ice. It worked fine all of last year, any ideas ?

JRTJH
05-27-2018, 02:39 PM
It helps to know what kind of refrigerator, brand, any particulars like if the wiper is sweeping the cube tray, if the lever arm is down.... What have you done to troubleshoot, if anything???

Pull Toy
05-27-2018, 04:17 PM
Did you drain it this winter, and properly restore it this spring? Is there an inline filter involved?

Good Luck,

benny53
05-28-2018, 12:55 PM
It helps to know what kind of refrigerator, brand, any particulars like if the wiper is sweeping the cube tray, if the lever arm is down.... What have you done to troubleshoot, if anything???

My refrigerator is a Samsung F18, it has a bottom freezer. I have looked at all of the switches such as No Ice button, I can't see the lever arm without removing the bottom freezer compartment. It will cool down and the freezer keeps ice cream frozen.

JRTJH
05-28-2018, 01:32 PM
It sounds like a water source problem. There are two (possibly three) valves in the water line to the refrigerator. One under the sink inside the RV main body, one in the slide, where the water line comes up into the slide and possibly one at the terminal end of the water line where it goes into the refrigerator. If all of them are open and air is purged from the line, you should have water to the refrigerator. If so, then the only other possibility that I can think of is the solenoid valve in the ice maker that controls the measured water flow into the cube cavities. That solenoid may be corroded closed ?????

All the above is guesses, but if the temperature in the freezer is cold enough to keep ice cream frozen, the ice maker should be cold enough to make ice "IF" it is getting a water supply to the cube cavities.

The only other (very remote possibility) is that the ice maker is functioning OK and the cube cavities are full of ice and the heating element is not operational to "defrost them enough to release from the tray" You can find out if that might be the cause by sticking a finger in the cube cavity to see if there is ice in it. If no ice/water present, it's a "water source problem" if ice is present, it's in the ice maker "release mechanism"....