PDA

View Full Version : New equilizer setup. Check my work

waltheraustin
05-26-2018, 02:25 PM
So I spent more time setting this one up. Tried initially to setup like it was on my 1k equilizer hitch but that was a mistake.

The front of the trailer was too high so dropped a hole and it was still higher in the front. It's on the lowest hole it can go now. Measured and the front on the trailer is about 1/4 - 1/2 lower as wanted now. Bars are now parallel and front fender is back to unloaded height.

The manual Jack gave out on the last try. Ordered a bull dog (I think that's the name) hopefully it will be here by Thursday so we can leave on Friday. Hopefully this setup is right since I can't test it.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks! Matt166241662516626

66joej
05-26-2018, 04:07 PM
You can also adjust the brackets on the TT tongue to get more downforce to the front of the truck. I have mine set to about 1/2" higher at the front fender than when the truck is unloaded. I also air up my tires to 50# (275/65r18). From a distance it looks good.

waltheraustin
05-26-2018, 05:24 PM
You can also adjust the brackets on the TT tongue to get more downforce to the front of the truck. I have mine set to about 1/2" higher at the front fender than when the truck is unloaded. I also air up my tires to 50# (275/65r18). From a distance it looks good.So are you parallel to the tounge? Wondering how important that is. Im not having to really Jack it to get the bars on at the hole next to the top. I was in the middle meaning more weight off the tongue but I wasnt parallel.

Are your p rated tires that you are airing up that much? Would those be tires with a Max of 44 like mine are by chance? If so, what psi should I keep them under when rolling? If I go up to 45 I see 49 and 50 once a hundred miles or so down the road.

66joej
05-26-2018, 06:11 PM
So are you parallel to the tounge? Wondering how important that is. Im not having to really Jack it to get the bars on at the hole next to the top. I was in the middle meaning more weight off the tongue but I wasnt parallel.

Are your p rated tires that you are airing up that much? Would those be tires with a Max of 44 like mine are by chance? If so, what psi should I keep them under when rolling? If I go up to 45 I see 49 and 50 once a hundred miles or so down the road.

Yes my bars are parallel with the tongue. When I say that I mean about 2" below the tongue as near as I can remember. Will be going out next week and will measure. Have to bring the rear of the truck up quite a bit to attach the bars.
Yes tires are the original Goodyear Wranglers. The max pressure on the sidewall is 51 psi cold.

waltheraustin
05-26-2018, 07:22 PM
Yes my bars are parallel with the tongue. When I say that I mean about 2" below the tongue as near as I can remember. Will be going out next week and will measure. Have to bring the rear of the truck up quite a bit to attach the bars.
Yes tires are the original Goodyear Wranglers. The max pressure on the sidewall is 51 psi cold.Very good, thanks!

ctbruce
05-27-2018, 04:33 AM
Matt, you'll love the electric jack when you get it.

IMO, if you are not having to lift the back end to put the bars on the L-brackets, something is not right. The tension set up on the brackets is the sway control and works very well.

Here is a link about shank size to verify your set up. https://www.equalizerhitch.com/find-your-shank-size

How many washers are you using in your set up?

So, your head unit should have a slightly back tilt to it. It may just be the picture but yours looks very straight up and down.

waltheraustin
05-27-2018, 06:52 AM
See the angle in the first pic. It shows an angle. I have 5 washers right now. I could go 6 but I'm wondering the front being off now.

chuckster57
05-27-2018, 06:56 AM
5 washers looks good here. We have had to use drop shanks on occasion to get the right "fit". IIRC there are three lengths of drop.

waltheraustin
05-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Yeah, I was close having to get another which confused me since on the 10k, in was on the second hole. I'm debating moving the last bracket up but I'll tow for awhile like this. That's a quick change on a rest stop5 washers looks good here. We have had to use drop shanks on occasion to get the right "fit". IIRC there are three lengths of drop.

waltheraustin
05-27-2018, 07:36 AM
I also found a pic from the 10k vs the 14k. Big difference. Truck looks more normal1662916630