PDA

View Full Version : Replacing suspension

Ddubya
05-26-2018, 12:52 PM
I am looking into replacing the leaf spring suspension on my 2017 Alpine 3401RS. I have already replaced the brakes with electric over hydraulic.
Most interested in the Timbren Silent Ride system and was wondering if anyone has installed them.

http://timbren.com/silent-ride/

Fishsizzle
05-26-2018, 05:23 PM
I am looking into replacing the leaf spring suspension on my 2017 Alpine 3401RS. I have already replaced the brakes with electric over hydraulic.
Most interested in the Timbren Silent Ride system and was wondering if anyone has installed them.

http://timbren.com/silent-ride/

That looks awesome! Reminds me of old time Hendrickson extended leaf combined with Hendrickson Pad. These were used big time on lodging and dump trucks 70’s and 80’s

Can I ask what’s your motivation for the upgrade?

Ddubya
05-27-2018, 04:00 AM
Would like a less jarring suspension and I just do not feel secure with the components of the leaf spring setup.

jlb27537
05-27-2018, 12:23 PM
You might also consider the Morride rubber center support. We have the 4" travel one on our Montana and nothing moves while traveling. Also consider the Morryde X factor braces. If you don't have wet bolts, now would be a good time to install them.

Ddubya
05-27-2018, 06:08 PM
jlb27537

Thanks for the input. The MorRyde SRE 4000 looks like a big improvement over the Dexter EZFlex I now have. The price is certainly good compared to some other options.
Do you have shocks on your RV?

chuckster57
05-27-2018, 06:49 PM
My ‘97 Jayco Eagle 323RKS had shocks and I can’t say it made a big difference. I broke 2 mounts and didn’t even notice a difference in the ride.

JRTJH
05-27-2018, 07:37 PM
We had shocks on our Airstream and on our Holiday Rambler. We have the Mor ryde 3000 system on the Cougar. We haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with the Cougar. All the cabinet doors stay closed and there's nothing out of place, just like in the Airstream and the HR. I'd say that shocks didn't make for much improvement in ride. We're satisfied with the CRE3000 system. The 4000 system is similar. YMMV

Ddubya
05-28-2018, 03:24 AM
Some shock systems place the shocks at such an angle as to render them virtually useless.
My belief that properly installed shocks on a leaf spring suspension have to have an effect not only in bounce but tire wear.

jlb27537
05-28-2018, 04:43 AM
jlb27537

Thanks for the input. The MorRyde SRE 4000 looks like a big improvement over the Dexter EZFlex I now have. The price is certainly good compared to some other options.
Do you have shocks on your RV?

No, I do not have shocks on my Montana. I had shocks on my Newmar 5th, and I really feel the Montana has a better ride. Springs, rubber center support, X factor braces, Bridgestone Durvas R250 tires. Morryde rubber pin box. Removed the #5 rubber block and swapped it for a #4 block.

The #5 block is rated for 19K and my 3150rl is less than 15k loaded, so the #5 block was too stiff for my actual weight. The #4 is a better fit for my weight.

Ddubya
05-29-2018, 12:15 PM
After looking at several options to improve the stock suspension on my 2017 Alpine I believe I will install the MorRyde SRE-4000 system. User reports are generally very good.
Price under $500.00

I looked at the Timbren Silent Ride but they would require some additional frame bracing and the frame manufacturer said that they would not recommend modifying the frame. Price could be over $2000.00 with installation.

Liberty Rider/Comfort Ride would just be replacing the springs and adding shocks at a cost of over $1000.00 and I am not sure how much more effective they would be over the SRE-4000

MorRyde IS most likely the best solution but $3500.00 plus tax (I have disc breaks already) is more than I can justify.

Thanks to jlb27537 for alerting me about the SRE-4000

hardinrob
05-29-2018, 03:02 PM
I'm scheduled to have MorRyde IS installed on June 20 & 21st. I will report back after install. MorRyde is also installing disc brakes at same time.

Dave W
05-30-2018, 05:03 AM
I can visualize way too much twisting stress on an axle with the two walking beams working against each other if the road has opposite types of low/high areas (one side or wheel up, the other down). A conventional suspensin will have little to no axle twist moments nor will an independent suspension.

Unless you go with an IS, your best bet may be with one of the MORryde, Dexter or similar rubber equalizers in lieu of shocks. These rubber suspensions work well and best of all wont break the bank. Also, reducing road travel shock may be as easy and inexpensive as going to one step heavier spring plus the rubber equalize. RV manufacturers seem to use as light suspension as possible.

Of course, this is just my opinion and a few RV trailers worth of experience:D

ChuckS
05-30-2018, 05:23 AM
Interesting on the need for the suspension system upgrade I find the Dexter setup on my Alpine works quite well

I tow on forest service roads and some pretty bumpy paved roads in Idaho and Montana.

Never had anything open and stuff stays in place.

I do keep an eye on the lead spring hanger mounts and don’t go around sweeping curves at Mach 9..

Ddubya
05-30-2018, 05:48 AM
I have the Dexter EZFlex and I have stuff out of place all the time. Looks like the MorRyde SRE4000 allows for up/down travel of up to 4 inches which should smooth the ride substantially. IMO. If not,I am only out about $400.00 and will have new wet bolts.

ChuckS
05-30-2018, 06:08 AM
Be interesting to see how it doe for you

travelin texans
05-30-2018, 08:29 AM
While your at it get the MorRyde heavy shackle kit with wet bolts & the cross members then you'll be good to go, the only better setup would be the IS. The next best upgrade would add the disc brakes also, the difference in braking is night/day over the drums.

Ddubya
05-30-2018, 01:01 PM
I plan to install all new wet bolt kit and cross braces. I installed Titan disc brakes about six months ago after three of four drum brakes literally fell apart.

Tinner12002
05-30-2018, 02:17 PM
After looking at several options to improve the stock suspension on my 2017 Alpine I believe I will install the MorRyde SRE-4000 system. User reports are generally very good.
Price under $500.00

I looked at the Timbren Silent Ride but they would require some additional frame bracing and the frame manufacturer said that they would not recommend modifying the frame. Price could be over $2000.00 with installation.

Liberty Rider/Comfort Ride would just be replacing the springs and adding shocks at a cost of over $1000.00 and I am not sure how much more effective they would be over the SRE-4000

MorRyde IS most likely the best solution but $3500.00 plus tax (I have disc breaks already) is more than I can justify.

Thanks to jlb27537 for alerting me about the SRE-4000

I think if it were me upgrading, I'd go for the MorRyde before the Timbren. They've been around for quite some time!

Triplecee
06-03-2018, 07:52 AM
We had shocks on our Airstream and on our Holiday Rambler. We have the Mor ryde 3000 system on the Cougar. We haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with the Cougar. All the cabinet doors stay closed and there's nothing out of place, just like in the Airstream and the HR. I'd say that shocks didn't make for much improvement in ride. We're satisfied with the CRE3000 system. The 4000 system is similar. YMMV
We had the MorRyde 3000 system on a 2010 Mountaineer that I had to replace after 3000 miles due to elongated shackle bolt holes and worn plastic bushings.
The same system is on my 2018 High Country 305RL and I had the MorRyde Heavy Duty Wet Bolt & Shackle Kit installed before i picked it up from the dealer. The kit has 1/2" shackles, greasable bolts, and bronze bushing . Mor Ryde actually suggest that the kit be added so that, "this system will prevent you from being stranded on the side of the road due to broken shackles." I wonder if they expect all who only have the basic 3000 system to become stranded and if so why would they not build the suspension with the kit components in the first place. Check out their website for details. The cost for the kit in the US is only around $90 which is pretty cheap added confidence.

Dave W
06-03-2018, 08:30 AM
We had the MorRyde 3000 system on a 2010 Mountaineer that I had to replace after 3000 miles due to elongated shackle bolt holes and worn plastic bushings.
The same system is on my 2018 High Country 305RL and I had the MorRyde Heavy Duty Wet Bolt & Shackle Kit installed before i picked it up from the dealer. The kit has 1/2" shackles, greasable bolts, and bronze bushing . Mor Ryde actually suggest that the kit be added so that, "this system will prevent you from being stranded on the side of the road due to broken shackles." I wonder if they expect all who only have the basic 3000 system to become stranded and if so why would they not build the suspension with the kit components in the first place. Check out their website for details. The cost for the kit in the US is only around $90 which is pretty cheap added confidence.

Chris - first, welcome back to the site. Looks like you have been away.

Many, if not most of us, at least with the bigger 5ers and TTs have installed wet bolts, But with that said, these are not a 100% cure-all to wear. While there is little chance that the actual shackles will break, the bronze bushings will wear even with regular lubing. They are a lot better then the original nylon bushings but still only a band aid for a design that's, in my opinion, way too light duty for the service factor.

You may find that those bushings will last 12-15000 miles as I have and they will need replacement. On our '14 343RL HC, I am now on the third set of bushings and bolts in 22,000 miles. Instead of the bronze pieces am trying the Lippert Never Fail, non lubricated polyamide bushings on the new wet bolts. I may grease them as another band aid

Then the bolts themselves. On 5200/6000 pound axles, they are 9/16" diameter, I've measured wear new then used and am seeing a minimum of .010 then going in one case to .020 in 12-15000 miles with totally worn through bronze inserts regardless of my regular lubing. This wear is only in the outer ends and on the free end of the center shackle. The wear on the three bronze bushings and bolts in the MORryde CRE3000 has been negligible though.

This is the state of building RVs. Virtually all of them have 1-3/4" wide spring leafs with only more 3/8" leafs in the spring pack to make up a weight carrying package.

Ddubya
06-03-2018, 10:21 AM
It will be interesting to see how the Never Fail bushings fair.
I know that the manufacturer says not to grease them. I believe that it has something to do with the grease breaking down the polyamide.
I have about 20,000 miles on my factory installed wet bolts and will be replacing them in the next week or so. Looking forward to seeing what the wear is.
Just thinking, most of our tow vehicles have leaf springs and I never hear anything about replacing or lubricating them. Wazup?

ChuckS
06-03-2018, 10:40 AM
40 feet worth of fulcrum and sway versus half that on a pickup frame with much better shackle mounts

Fuzion 369
06-03-2018, 11:32 AM
Wow. I guess I better go check ours. We have cre3000 under our fuzion 369

Dave W
06-03-2018, 02:08 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Never Fail bushings fair.
I know that the manufacturer says not to grease them. I believe that it has something to do with the grease breaking down the polyamide.

I may never know how good/not so good they will be unless I have reason to disassemble the shackles again.

etrailer has put the myth out about grease infiltrating the polyamide bushings but when I emailed Lippert, in their response they were more concerned about dirt being forced in the grease 'drool'. I may have that email on hard copy but it's not available at this time. Additionally, SKF who manufacture many of these polyamide bushings also note that lubing them will prolong life.

Fuzion369 - that CRE3000 should be just fine but MORryde does have a user's manual on line which will tell you if they are starting to weaken or crack. One of mine was assembled incorrectly from the factory, but corrected at ~4000 miles though still mostly worked OK

SkiSmuggs
06-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Although the CRE3000 equalizers wear out just like other suspension components, the thin shackles with plastic bushings are installed by the RV manufacturer, not by MorRyde. I probably put 15K on the original CRE3000 with crap shackles before replacing with EZ Flex and HD shackles/wet bolts. The EZ Flex lowered my fiver and allowed the tires to hit the underside so I stopped in at MorRyde, by appointment, and had the EZ Flex replaced with CRE3000. I probably have close to 20K with that combo. If I head that way again, I may have heavier springs installed with the SRE4000 and new shackles.

Ddubya
06-04-2018, 04:12 AM
I may never know how good/not so good they will be unless I have reason to disassemble the shackles again.

etrailer has put the myth out about grease infiltrating the polyamide bushings but when I emailed Lippert, in their response they were more concerned about dirt being forced in the grease 'drool'. I may have that email on hard copy but it's not available at this time. Additionally, SKF who manufacture many of these polyamide bushings also note that lubing them will prolong life.

Fuzion369 - that CRE3000 should be just fine but MORryde does have a user's manual on line which will tell you if they are starting to weaken or crack. One of mine was assembled incorrectly from the factory, but corrected at ~4000 miles though still mostly worked OK

Thanks for the info on the Never Fail bushings. If I had known that I may have gone with them instead of the Wet bolts.

Fuzion 369
06-04-2018, 05:19 AM
I will check out the manual. Thank you

Ddubya
06-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Just removed the shackles on one side and the factory installed wet bolts. The bushings were plastic and completely worn out. I have greased them twice. The first time was the week I brought the trailer home.
If you are approaching 15K miles I would plan to replace your bushings ASAP.

Fuzion 369
06-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Ok I will check mileage when I go out to truck lathers in a bit. I think it will show without trailer hooked up.

Dave W
06-04-2018, 10:47 AM
I think it will show without trailer hooked up.

Wont show if it's in the '11-'15 Ford lineup - needs to be hooked up (that is unless the IT nerds changed it somewhere along the line and didn't tell me:whistling::whistling:)

travelin texans
06-04-2018, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't wait 15k miles, my plastic bushings were toast at 5000, at which time I installed the MorRyde heavy shackles/wet bolt kit with all bronze bushings, now have close to 60k miles & no problems.
In my opinion on these heavy 5ers I prefer the bronze bushings with some grease over the Never Fail, to me they are plastic bushings, maybe tougher, but plastic & no grease recommended.

Fuzion 369
06-04-2018, 01:02 PM
It’s a 12’ will check shortly

Ddubya
06-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Got one side finished today. Install went pretty smoothly. I did check the bolts that hold the calipers on my disc brakes and one bolt was missing. The others were loose. I torqued them to 40 ft pounds when I installed them so it's something else to check on preflight.

Fuzion 369
06-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Well then I will check mileage when I hook it up Friday as I can’t see it until plugged in. I think we are only about 2500 miles or so