PDA

View Full Version : Ram gas engine recall

vampress_me
05-25-2018, 06:51 PM
I’m guessing many of you have seen this, but just in case you haven’t. It affects the gas engine Rams only. But, 2014-2019 Ram 1500’s and 2014-2018 2500, 3500, 4500, and 5500’s are the affected years.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/05/25/fiat-chrysler-warns-jeep-ram-dodge-owners-dont-use-cruise-control/643982002/

I’m thinking if this happened to me, you’d hear one really loud scream of fear first....

Add: it also affects many other Chrysler products, but I was mainly thinking of those of us who tow with a Ram.

Fishsizzle
05-25-2018, 08:14 PM
Was just talking over on Powerstroke forum about how everyone is all excited about new tech on trucks. Self driving cars etc. This is why I get freaked. They can’t even get a simple home computer right, how are we supposed to trust computers in our rides?

How do you call a tech to come work on your trucks computer doing 65 on the road?
Just crazy

notanlines
05-26-2018, 03:07 AM
Lynette, most Minnesotans will remember Koua Fong Lee and his search for justice once he was released from prison.....thank you very much Toyota and the bogus computers in your cars. I believe Chrysler has been very upfront with this recall, unlike Toyota with their head buried in the sand!

JRTJH
05-26-2018, 06:08 AM
If what I'm reading online is correct (who knows what the news really is vs what's reported)... That said, if the news is correct, this isn't a "computer malfunction" but an error in how the software was written.. There's a BIG difference in the two. Computers, while they can "break down" and need to have components "fixed", this problem doesn't look like a "computer breakdown".... Rather, when the software engineers did their research and development, they wrote a software program that had a "glitch" in it that would prevent the cruise control from deactivating in some specific situations.

That's not a "computer is broken" problem, rather it looks like the computer is doing exactly what it's being told to do based on how the software is working.... Sort of like a mis-placed or mis-spelled word/phrase in the middle of a very intense passage in a great book......

And, no I don't own anything Chrysler and I'm not defending their problem. Seems all the manufacturers have the same "bucket" that could tip over at any time, so which one is next? Something to be said for "consumer testing".......

vampress_me
05-26-2018, 11:02 AM
John,

I agree with you. This seems more like a computer glitch that wasn’t caught. But I hope they fix it fast not like all the companies have done with the airbag recall, since this should be a simple computer reflash?

My eyeballs got a little big at the sentence in the article “Shifting into park would cancel the cruise, but tapping the brakes or turning off the cruise control button won't work.” How many people would think about shifting into park at 60-70 mph? And, actually, with the computer controls in vehicles now, can you even shift into park while the vehicle is moving? I’m not volunteering to find out! :)

I’m still sticking with my initial reaction would be one heck of a loud scream!

spade117
05-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Scary stuff, I read about this on my way home Monday. No issues on the way there, I did use the CC for about 45 miles. Did not use it on the way home.

Harleydodge
05-30-2018, 09:00 AM
It makes me wonder, especially if it's a software glitch, what the difference is between a Gasser and a Diesel? You would think the programming (as far as the CC goes) wouldn't differ much?
I hope we're not next.
Also not so sure that our big diesels "... brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped.".
I would watch the "You-Tube" video of that theory being tested :)

travelin texans
05-30-2018, 10:04 AM
It makes me wonder, especially if it's a software glitch, what the difference is between a Gasser and a Diesel? You would think the programming (as far as the CC goes) wouldn't differ much?
I hope we're not next.
Also not so sure that our big diesels "... brakes are designed to overpower the engine and the vehicles could still be stopped.".
I would watch the "You-Tube" video of that theory being tested :)

If I recall their solution, if it happens, was to shift to neutral, pull off the shoulder while the engine is screaming & turn the key off, so you shouldn't have to overcome the engine power. Actually I think it said to shift to park, but at 70+ mph not sure you could do that..

Harleydodge
05-30-2018, 10:22 AM
If I recall their solution, if it happens, was to shift to neutral, pull off the shoulder while the engine is screaming & turn the key off, so you shouldn't have to overcome the engine power. Actually I think it said to shift to park, but at 70+ mph not sure you could do that..

Yes I read that also.
Not sure who wrote what exactly but my quote comes from early in the article and "appears" to be the author quoting Fiat Chrysler.
What you are remembering appears to be a quote from The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which makes way more sense that what the author said earlier.
I was just making a little fun of the article.
May we never have to worry about it.:cool3:

LuvsPalmTrees
05-30-2018, 10:50 AM
We have a Ram and yes it is recalled. I never use the CC but DH does. Like TT all brands have their problems.